Got Help? Troubleshooting - Two issues..

cobra101

Established Member
Hi,
Any opinions are welcome. I will try and keep it short.

1. For the last 6 months or so it seems when I go between 50-70MPH I get a vibe running through the entire car. it becomes a more violent shaking of the car if I precede over 85+MPH. I would feel as the car would start to fall apart above 110MPH.

2. Just in the last few days, I am getting a fairly regular noise coming from what seems to be right front engine compartment. It is like a fan'ish noise with a kinda high pitch/sucking background to it. It does not change with speed or rpm. When I turn the car off it makes a rythmic tapping til it's off. All gauges and performance seems unaffected. (note: I did have an oil change and am thinking they may have topped of the supoercharger fluid resovoir with some water rather the yellow/correct fluid. Not sure if this can be related) .

Any ideas/info is appreciated. I probably can get around to a local mechani for him to listen and give opinions on the two issues.

thanks again

_cobra101

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
For #1 i`d start with the tires,balance,etc.Could also be a driveshaft/pinion angle thing.
#2 sounds like a fan issue,pull the fuse and see if it still does it.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
driving for 6 months with this issue and havent gotten it looked into yet? thats crazy.

as far as the vibe....did any of your wheels have any wheel weights on them that could have possibly slug off?

a lot of times to fix the vibe issue it takes a different/new drive shaft.

my car had the vibe when it was first made. according to the ford oasis report they went through like 3 different drive shafts before finally fixing it. and one of the times the vibe was cause form a wheel weight that had came off.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Vibration issues are very, very elusive. Some of these steps will help, some may increase or change the mph of the vibration. Just be thorough, and patient.

-Rebalance all four tires
-Alignment (4 wheel)
-Check differential bushings for integrity
-Check all suspension bushings and components for integrity
-Compare driveshaft-to-pinion and driveshaft-to-transmission angles (should be close to equal)
-Index driveshaft

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
As for #1... might be a wheel bearing... just a thought

Good point! Add torquing the halfshaft hub nuts to 240 ft-lbs to the checklist. The fronts require 258 ft-lbs.

If any were extremely loose, you may need to replace the hub bearing.

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
Great thanks for all the tips...

Hi, Thanks for all your help.

First, I have NOT been driving 6months with the noise.. more like cautious 2 days. The shaking/vibe at high speeds has been about 6 months. It actually is good, bc I can no longer accidentally hit bursts of 120mph on the ride home from work.

issue #1 is fixed. Feel free to LOL at this one. Like I said, I thought I saw the oil change guy top off the inter cooler resovoir 2 weeks or so ago. Well, After a few suggestions and elimating things. We finally opened the cap on intercooler resovoir. BONE DRY. Sure enough noise was on and added fluid and GONE. The noise was obv resiating through the intake/ait filter near the right front of the car. I know silly, but had i not seen the guy at the oil change place actually open the resovoir cap, I would have looked sooner. Still not sure how it would go bone dry so soon after he looked in. I don't he would look in and se it dry and just ok, dry I'll leave it. No signs underneath of drippings, ever.

issue#2. I know about the notorious "vibe" from way back. Some had it, some didnt. Mine for over 6 years never did, so I don't believe it was that. At this point I cant see all the wheel weights (some inside wheel well perhaps). I am hoping that one or two fell off over the past few months. I will have a shop check and if necessary rebalance. If that don't do it then on I go with some more troubleshooting.

Thanks again for all the tips and speedy replies.

-cobra101

Ps. I really beat on my car. Maybe some of the hardest driven 62,000 cobra mile cobra. Also, I keep it dirty and have many imperfections. I love it! I am also on my 13th set of back tires@62k miles. No smokey burnouts, just alot of hard accellerations (but no street racing or speeding), no highway miles pretty much all city.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread