GOT HOP? Please let me know what the heck can I do about WHEEL HOP!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Did not start having this problem until I modded the 03. Cat-Back and Diablo and I got WHEEL HOP BAD!!!

What do I do? This has to be killing my acceleration!

Anyone else got this?

:gt:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
put a tire on that has traction, like a nitto 315-35-17 drag radial like i have on mine......no hop.......hey, didn't you have the car that the shop couldn't get the old pulley off of it? Still need it put on? i could hook you up in 15 minutes.......www,hbh.org....call if we can help you out......my sales guy lives in springfield va... they used to do some work on his car.....:beer:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by hpbyhermann
dude, all i do is work on mustangs.......go to my web site.......www.hbh.org.......:beer:

Qestions:

1) Do you have pulley and the GOOD puller with experience in pulling these?

2) Can you dyno and Diablo tune?

I went to Springfield Motorsports for all mods. They could NOT get the pulley off. Did not have the correct puller nor did they have experience in 03 pulley swaps. I think they bent the lip on the stock pulley very slightly. Everything still appears straight. Question is, did they damage the bearings? I hope not.

Excessive Motorsports in Manassas VA will install the pulley. But you have ot buy the pulley and bring it with you. They do Diablo tunes and dyno's.

The reason I have not done the pulley is cause I am NOT convinced it works that great. With my current set up I am dynoing similar HP increases with guys who've done the L pulley. See sig.

Last edited:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I do not want to put 2 different types of tires on the car. Front vs rear !! Thats VERY dangerous. I want something that I can use the stock tires and drive around with SAFELY.

If the wheels are hopping then this suggests suspension to me.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I'm surprised you have wheel hop. I don't have a chip, but I do have a cat back and K&N. My car will smoke the old balonies (stock) pretty good, but I get absolutely no wheel hop. My '01, on the other hand, would hop all the way down the street. Did you do the chip and cat back at the same time? (Not that I can see how that would matter.)

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Yes I did the chip and CB at the same time. The Diablo will give you about 30+ more HP at the rear wheels! I got 395 at the rear with the Cb and the Superchip and 420 (413 SAE) with the Diablo. NICE difference and VERY noticeable!

Did not have hop until I did the mods. The acceleration is SO much faster with these mods. If you figure I was 350 RWHP stock, then I picked up 70 RWHP with just my 2 mods. I am running as much RWHP as guys with L pulleys (no chip).

Question: Are sub-frame connectors the way to go for Hop and how do they install? I see kenny Brown has some for $99.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Fast03 - I am not sure that SFCs would take care of your wheel hop problem. They do help stiffen the chassis and I have heard they can help with hooking up and they're still worth getting. If you go w/ Kenny Brown, for another $10 you should get the super subs. They're quite a bit stiffer. They are welded on.

I've not heard anyone else complain about wheel hop w/ the '03s. The revisions to the IRS were directed at fixing that problem. Leaking shock maybe? Broken spring?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Dropping tire pressure should help, sure. Anything to improve traction would help reduce hop. If you don't break traction, it won't hop. Tetge makes a good point about road surface, as well.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Yea maybe it was road surface. Didnt do it today on a different road. Car didnt feel as fast today either. I wonder why? Hot & Humid? Some days the thing feels like its got 50 more HP. I wonder why?

Oh well, thanks guys! Might just be the surface.

Users who are viewing this thread