Got my baby today

mullens

Established Member
The day finally arrived. Picked her up and drove 80 miles home from Kingman. In a word...awesome.

Some quick first impressions.

Tip-in and part-throttle response is much crisper than in previous years. Maybe it the tune, maybe it's the extra cubes but it feels like a big block.

After all the press about the clutch, I don't think it feels that much different than my 2010. It doesn't grab all the way on top as others have reported and it really doesn't feel that stiff. Maybe it's just my perception, but it feels perfect.

Shifter is a bit notchy, especially from 2nd to 3rd, but it's new and that's to be expected.

Exhaust is loud (read perfect) for a stock car.

Tomorrow the oil separator goes on and that's it.

I'll do a better review when I get a few miles on her

UOP Shadow

Established Member
Congrats! I can only hope to be making a similar post very soon. Our car is officially built as of tomorrow.

WAL

Established Member
Congrats! DIB with white stripes is great. Full disclosure, my DIB with white stripes was built last Friday. :beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Glad to hear about the throttle response after listening to a few negative comments about it on various videos. I don't know how the shifter will feel while driving, but the car I shifted sitting in the showroom floor of the dealership was so damn far ahead of the 2003 Cobra shifter I felt like I was in heaven! lol

As for it feeling like a big block motor: 5.8L + 2.3L = 8.1L = 494ci I'd say a 500ci motor aught to feel pretty torqy. lol

mullens

Established Member
Thanks...pics to follow.

BTW these forums probably saved me some bubbled paint. After reading about the factory overfill of brake fluid I checked it, and low and behold it was filled to the top way past max. It was starting to drip down the side of the container. I drew about 3oz out and now it's at the max line. I'm a little surprised that this is happening so often as it says right in the manual fill to between min and max lines.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
Thanks...pics to follow.

BTW these forums probably saved me some bubbled paint. After reading about the factory overfill of brake fluid I checked it, and low and behold it was filled to the top way past max. It was starting to drip down the side of the container. I drew about 3oz out and now it's at the max line. I'm a little surprised that this is happening so often as it says right in the manual fill to between min and max lines.

On a $55k+ car you would expect a bit better quality control and an issue such as this, especially something like brake fluid that can ruin paint! Look at all of the money Ford can save by not overfilling them by 3oz per car.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Congrats on buying the fastest color combo!

I'll have mine in Vegas at the end of this month when I drive up for the SEMA show. It will be my first road trip in the car and I'm really looking forward to that stretch of road between Kingman and the Hoover Dam. :burnout:

Agreed 100% on the exhaust note comment. No way I'm changing mine out for an aftermarket system- it's perfect!

Congrats! :beer:

mullens

Established Member
Congrats on buying the fastest color combo!

I'll have mine in Vegas at the end of this month when I drive up for the SEMA show. It will be my first road trip in the car and I'm really looking forward to that stretch of road between Kingman and the Hoover Dam. :burnout:

Agreed 100% on the exhaust note comment. No way I'm changing mine out for an aftermarket system- it's perfect!

Congrats! :beer:

Oh yea that stretch from Kingman to Vegas has lots of open road. If I weren't breaking her in I'd have got triple digits for sure.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Nice!

2 must have mods IMO off the bat (other than oil sep's): MGW Shifter and 3.73 gears
A Stock 13 Shelby with these mods will make driving it that much more enjoyable.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
What's the story with the oil separators?

Excess oil blow off from the valve covers get pushed back in the supercharger. This can cover the internals of the supercharger and lower the octane of your fuel when they mix. Lower octane can lead to detonation if it goes down enough, especially when it get cooler outside. Oil separators prevent this potential problem. Passenger side puts out 90% of the oil to the supercharger so that side is the most important. I have one on both sides of the engine. Yes, I sleep better at night ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread