Got my baby today

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Excess oil blow off from the valve covers get pushed back in the supercharger. This can cover the internals of the supercharger and lower the octane of your fuel when they mix. Lower octane can lead to detonation if it goes down enough, especially when it get cooler outside. Oil separators prevent this potential problem. Passenger side puts out 90% of the oil to the supercharger so that side is the most important. I have one on both sides of the engine. Yes, I sleep better at night ;-)
Sounds like cheap protection. Thanks for the info. Never used them on my 2003 Cobra, is this more of an issue with the Shelby's?

mullens

Established Member
Sounds like cheap protection. Thanks for the info. Never used them on my 2003 Cobra, is this more of an issue with the Shelby's?

All I can tell you is when I took the blower off my 2010 the intercooler and TB were covered with oil.

RJ500

Congratulation!
Can't wait to get mine, built Monday but not scheduled for delivery till 25th. Looking forward to that first drive!

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member
Congrats! Still waiting for my STG DIB 500. Build week of 10/22! Can't wait till we all can EVENTUALLY post picks of our cars!

GT500wantabe

Established Member
Excess oil blow off from the valve covers get pushed back in the supercharger. This can cover the internals of the supercharger and lower the octane of your fuel when they mix. Lower octane can lead to detonation if it goes down enough, especially when it get cooler outside. Oil separators prevent this potential problem. Passenger side puts out 90% of the oil to the supercharger so that side is the most important. I have one on both sides of the engine. Yes, I sleep better at night ;-)
Seems to me if this is a problem then Ford should have installed separators from the factory.

rwboring

Established Member
Seems to me if this is a problem then Ford should have installed separators from the factory.

no one does that I am aware of... but it is always a good idea especially if tuned... I don't think Ford is going to put something on a car that needs "emptied" other then an oil pan

03reptile

Established Member
I'm kinda with you, rwboring. If this is such an issue of concern, why hasn't Ford made this part of the standard equipment for the engine. I think the answer is that the engineers feel it is not a problem of engine performance or longevity. They are, among other things, responsible for keeping this engine together throughout the warranty period, and why would they ignore something that is potentially detrimental to the engine? This aftermarket piece may have a benefit, but not worth it for me. It would be interesting to hear from a Ford engineer as to their thought process.

mullens

Established Member
This subject has been beat to death so I'll just say to each his own.

Is an oil separator absolutely a must? No. Will it increase the life of your engine? No again. Will it make your engine more efficient by keeping oil mist out of your supercharger? Absolutely. Superchargers are designed to compress air, not oil.

Check out the Shelby 1000. It has two.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Well how much are we talking here? I can't imagine a little filter stuck into the valve cover is going to be breaking anyone's bank, but I've never pair any attention to thi stopic before so maybe I'm wrong. Uless I'm missing something, this seems like a simple, easy thing to add as a preventative measure.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
mullens said:
Tomorrow the oil separator goes on and that's it.

It has been interesting watching you switch and move up to the latest model release - a few times now. If you can truly limit any mods to just the addition of an oil separator I'd say you have more self control when it comes to changing items on the car than changing the car itself than anyone I've seen before! Good luck with it.

mullens

Established Member
It has been interesting watching you switch and move up to the latest model release - a few times now. If you can truly limit any mods to just the addition of an oil separator I'd say you have more self control when it comes to changing items on the car than changing the car itself than anyone I've seen before! Good luck with:burnout: it.

Famous last words right Tob? :rolling: You got me pegged buddy. I've taken "you only live once" to a new level! They say you can't buy happiness. BS. Hey if I don't spend my money someone else will. Hell, there's guys trading in 12’s a few months old for 13’s. Just wait till the ’17’s come out!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread