Got my cam today.....

nate71velly

Slow for now
Established Member
The cam is almost the same as a stock zo6 cam. The intake is the same just aluminum so its heavier. And porting stock ls1 heads, you might as well do a ls6 conversion and save a crap load of money. And as for the numbers your expecting. Good luck. Not with that set up. You won't even break 400rwhp through the auto with that set up.

vetterr

Established Member
The cam is almost the same as a stock zo6 cam. The intake is the same just aluminum so its heavier. And porting stock ls1 heads, you might as well do a ls6 conversion and save a crap load of money. And as for the numbers your expecting. Good luck. Not with that set up. You won't even break 400rwhp through the auto with that set up.

Can I ask you how is it then the Z06 is 505hp and your saying he cant even get 400hp?

moot09

Established Member
A4 and I'm thinkin of possibly having Ed Wright out of Tulsa to do my tuning or MC Racing out of KC. I have a Wieland LS6 intake manifold , K&N ram air intake, a carbon fiber power duct, putting in MSD Coil packs, MSD 8.5mm wires, NGK Iridium plugs also have Comp cams performance timing chain set, mufferless exhaust, boring out the motor ten over, having the heads redone, drilled and slotted rotors and hawk brake pads, I think I named everything now! Whew!!

Robsvette008.jpg

Ed Right knows his stuff but last I heard there like a 2 month waiting list for tuning sessions from him.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
A4 and I'm thinkin of possibly having Ed Wright out of Tulsa to do my tuning or MC Racing out of KC. I have a Wieland LS6 intake manifold , K&N ram air intake, a carbon fiber power duct, putting in MSD Coil packs, MSD 8.5mm wires, NGK Iridium plugs also have Comp cams performance timing chain set, mufferless exhaust, boring out the motor ten over, having the heads redone, drilled and slotted rotors and hawk brake pads, I think I named everything now! Whew!!

Robsvette008.jpg

Send the cam back and get a 224 or 226cam on a 114LSA. Send the MSD coilpacks back and save your self a headache later on down the road (MSD coilpacks are garbage), Send the Wieland LS6 intake manifold back and pick up a FAST 102. Lose the NGK Iridium plugs and get some NGK TR55s. Lose the K&N ram air intake and get a Vararam or Stinger, or Callaway honker intake. Why spend the money to have LS1 heads ported when for near the same price you can get a set of ported LS6 heads from TSP.

Last edited:

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
Send the cam back and get a 224 or 226cam on a 114LSA. Send the MSD coilpacks back and save your self a headache later on down the road (MSD coilpacks are garbage), Send the Wieland LS6 intake manifold back and pick up a FAST 102. Lose the NGK Iridium plugs and get some NGK TR55s. Lose the K&N ram air intake and get a Vararam or Stinger, or Callaway honker intake. Why spend the money to have LS1 heads ported when for near the same price you can get a set of ported LS6 heads from TSP.

What he said.

If you can, get a bigger cam...unless you spray alot (that could make up for not having a big cam), because the time and cost of installing a cam is something you wanna do once, so do it right and get the good stuff. Id go with a 228+ (personally) and a matched stall. What gear does the car have? 3.42?

Lose the weiland....that thing is junk. Id stay with either a LS6 or get a fast 92/92 (102 is too big for a stock 346ci)

Those coilpacks suck! If your gonna upgrade, search LS2 coilpacks.

Your exhaust setup looks good, id match that with a stock z06 ti-catback for a awesome sound.

Go with NGK TR55's (TR6 if you spray) and everything else the guy I quoted said. Dont port your 241's, its a waste of money.

Last edited:

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
ditch that cam already..why do you keep going off what "comp cams told me", of course they are going to say you'll be happy with the power..THEY WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT.

bigger isn't always better but do it right the first time, instead of causing yourself a headache and buying part after part until you max out your combo.

vetterr

Established Member
Hey guys I know you keep telling him to ditch the cam. But know one has asked him what kind of RPM he is willing to turn out on his motor. Maybe he doesnt want to turn more then 6000 rpm so yea he could go bigger but he wont get the use out of the cam.

vetterr

Established Member
A guess one more thing what is going to be doing with the car drag, track or just street use. Or even maybe a daily driver? There is so may ways you can set a motor up for it just all depends.

hammerhead2

Established Member
What he said.
Lose the weiland....that thing is junk. Id stay with either a LS6 or get a fast 92/92 (102 is too big for a stock 346ci)

I don't mean to argue with you but the 102mm is not to large for a stock motor. If you look at the dyno's from it it does not really give up anything down low on a stock motor and only picks up on the top end. The 102mm is reffering to the throttle bodie opening what is actually important is the cross section of the intake. Most people using the 102mm intake are still using smaller throttle bodies. Not to mention they actually are discontinuing the 92mm and the 102mm has modualr runners so it cand be tuned for where you want your power. Though I don't think they have the optional runners out yet.

ditch that cam already..why do you keep going off what "comp cams told me", of course they are going to say you'll be happy with the power..THEY WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT.

You know Comp Cams does make a rather large selection of larger cams themselves, so why would they sell him on a smaller one that will make less HP when they obviously have larger options available unless it was the cam that fit what he said he was looking for? Not to mention why would any company sell a part to someone that they are not going to be happy with knowing they would just get on the forums and blast them afterwards?

Don't get me wrong here I would also go with a bigger cam but that may not have been what this paticular guy wanted. If this cam fits his application and what he wante from it then it is what he needs.

Last edited:

Sammyboy

Established Member
He is using the same cam I had.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dbO5suLyzM"]YouTube- Boom[/nomedia]

wait....never mind, I used a "man" cam

corvetteman39

Established Member
I don't mean to argue with you but the 102mm is not to large for a stock motor. If you look at the dyno's from it it does not really give up anything down low on a stock motor and only picks up on the top end. The 102mm is reffering to the throttle bodie opening what is actually important is the cross section of the intake. Most people using the 102mm intake are still using smaller throttle bodies. Not to mention they actually are discontinuing the 92mm and the 102mm has modualr runners so it cand be tuned for where you want your power. Though I don't think they have the optional runners out yet.

You know Comp Cams does make a rather large selection of larger cams themselves, so why would they sell him on a smaller one that will make less HP when they obviously have larger options available unless it was the cam that fit what he said he was looking for? Not to mention why would any company sell a part to someone that they are not going to be happy with knowing they would just get on the forums and blast them afterwards?

Don't get me wrong here I would also go with a bigger cam but that may not have been what this paticular guy wanted. If this cam fits his application and what he wante from it then it is what he needs.

I told them I wanted it for just cruisin around on my days off, I do alot of car shows, no racing or track and thats what they recommended. I don't race my car and I don't drive it everyday it's my third car that is for pleasure only. I drive my Cobra everyday and my wife and I drive our Chrysler 300c for everything else.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
What he said.

If you can, get a bigger cam...unless you spray alot (that could make up for not having a big cam), because the time and cost of installing a cam is something you wanna do once, so do it right and get the good stuff. Id go with a 228+ (personally) and a matched stall. What gear does the car have? 3.42?

Your exhaust setup looks good, id match that with a stock z06 ti-catback for a awesome sound.

Go with NGK TR55's (TR6 if you spray) and everything else the guy I quoted said. Dont port your 241's, its a waste of money.

A FAST 102 isn't too big for a 346cid. An unported FAST 102 makes the same rwhp numbers as a ported FAST 92 and a ported FAST 102 will make 9-10rwhp more than a ported FAST 92 and also produce a tad more tq on a 346cid.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
What he said.

Actually if you're going to upgrade coilpacks go with the D585 truck coils with the heat sink. They are better than the LS1 and LS2 coils.

NA_Cobra

Established Member

The throttle body isn't the restriction. The FAST intake runners are, therefore, swapping from a 90 to a 102mm TB on a FAST 102 will yield no gain on a 346cid.

Users who are viewing this thread