Got my NEW RACE SPEC MGW mt-82 shifter

hand-filer

Established Member
You shouldn't have any additional noise. Double check the shifter boot to make sure it's seated properly.

Installed mine last night on jack stands. Install was pretty straight forward. The new support arms threw me off for a second. Also, putting that damn dust cover back on was the hardest part of the whole mod. It was SUCH a PITA!!!!

It's my first after market shifter ever. I'm really impressed so far. Shifts feel solid and it makes me very confident in the hard throws. I did pick up some additional road noise, but nothing that the radio or exhaust won't cover. Still a little notchy from 1st to 2nd, but I think it's a transmission issue more than anything.

toomnymods

Established Member
i love my racespec to death but i do get a audible vibration only in the ball of the gearshifter that my hand rests on around 3500 rpm's plus.. really annoying sounds like a buzzing bee..

Grabber2012

Established Member
Yes getting the boot on is probably the worst part of the install,I notice very slightly more vibration through the shift knob than stock but I love this shifter!

hand-filer

Established Member
: )

Disregard post

I can't. You had issues with your MGW or with the installation. An explanation would have been nice. Even if it was installation related it could have been helpful for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

evanjp

Established Member
I had JPC install my race spec and at first I was happy with it.

Eventually, every gear became notchy again. I don't understand it. It's as if I'm not even pushing the clutch in most of the time. It just nibbles and feels like I'm pushing it through something every time I shift. 6th gear around 2000 rpm I can feel slight vibration and if I hold the shifter knob tight it goes down a bit.

Needless to say, I could be happier. I think my clutch is to blame mostly. I've been having trouble with it, it is a replacement stock clutch I had a dealer put in. Brought it back 3 times with disengagement concerns and they weren't ok with opening it up and checking. I think the time has come for my car. Too many little issues. Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread