Got my NEW RACE SPEC MGW mt-82 shifter

2013Boss302

Established Member
Thanks guys. I have a new Transmission going in next week and i don't want this one to have any issues.

30k hard miles on my boss and i lost 3RD gear syncro and i dont know how but i lost revers to lol.

scott_0

Established Member
Thanks guys. I have a new Transmission going in next week and i don't want this one to have any issues.

30k hard miles on my boss and i lost 3RD gear syncro and i dont know how but i lost revers to lol.

warranty?

scott_0

Established Member
installed my race spec last night, I can't begin to imagine doing this install on your back! install wasn't too bad since I used a lift. install took me about 2.5hrs or so, I ended removing my x-pipe which added to the total time but made things much easier. the shifter is just an amazing work of engineering, kudos to you and your team George!! it's a pricey piece, but anyone on the wall about purchasing one, if you can swing it financially, do it!!! the shifts are firm and precise with no slop, its like a bolt action rifle pretty much. no added noise or vibration, hell it may be actually be more quiet than the stock shifter lol

hand-filer

Established Member
installed my race spec last night, I can't begin to imagine doing this install on your back! install wasn't too bad since I used a lift. install took me about 2.5hrs or so, I ended removing my x-pipe which added to the total time but made things much easier. the shifter is just an amazing work of engineering, kudos to you and your team George!! it's a pricey piece, but anyone on the wall about purchasing one, if you can swing it financially, do it!!! the shifts are firm and precise with no slop, its like a bolt action rifle pretty much. no added noise or vibration, hell it may be actually be more quiet than the stock shifter lol

15 minutes to install mine. I did cheat a little bit ;-)

IMG_1340.JPG

evanjp

Established Member
I saw someone say this would be a PITA t install on your back......

Do you really think it would be that bad? I dont have easy access to a lift. I have a friend who has his own shop but I dont have a ton of time off...

nyuk98GT

Established Member
I saw someone say this would be a PITA t install on your back...... Do you really think it would be that bad? ..

evanjp:

It is not bad at all. I'm an oldish fat bastard and i didn't think it was a big deal to install (removing a Barton plus 2-post bracket, too). The transmission crossbrace comes off and the trans is allowed to sag and, in fact, you have to pull the transmission down a bit more to get the bolt out that holds the shifter bracket to the transmission. If you're just a little handy with tools, you won't have any problem installing the Race Spec shifter.

I rolled up the front on my trusty Rhino ramps, lifted the front end up another couple of inches, put the jackstands in place, and got to The Work. Used some yard waste paper bags to keep my hide insulated from the cold garage floor (November!).

UltraKla$$ic has some excellent photos posted in a Race Spec thread in this sub-forum but I don't remember the title (sorry). Search and you'll see the steps.

LMK if you have any questions about the installation.

HTH,

Chris

Kyle55

Established Member
I have the MGW revision shifter and thinking about race spec. The problem I'm still having is when the gear engages it either feels solid which i like or like a metallic clunky nibble feel. With race spec do u feel it helps that clunky nibble feel or makes it worse.

scott_0

Established Member
I have the MGW revision shifter and thinking about race spec. The problem I'm still having is when the gear engages it either feels solid which i like or like a metallic clunky nibble feel. With race spec do u feel it helps that clunky nibble feel or makes it worse.

I have that same nibble happen often with my stock shifter. Curious about how the race spec clears that nibble up.

my Race Spec actually stopped the grind I would get on a cold 1-2 shift, its still notchy until warmed up but no more nibble, but YMMV :coolman:

Grabber2012

Established Member
This shifter is awesome I've installed mine and a friends in his boss, straight forward install took about 2.5 hours and that rolling my out if shape self in and out from underneath the car, do yourself a favor and make sure you have the 10mm ratchet wrench for the shifter support arm bolt. Shifter is awesome and makes me want to drive my car even more now, and it came with an insert so that I could put a different knob in my 401a optioned car!

Big Q

Established Member
To those of you who switched from the latest version MGW to the Race Spec, I'm curious to know what the differences are. Obviously I see the physical differences but do you have smoother shifts, less lockout in high RPM's? So far my latest generation MGW previous to the Race Spec is pretty good, but I'm going to be switching to the CJ intake once everything arrives and I'm wondering if this would be worth upgrading since I'll be going through the gears at higher RPM...

Grabber2012

Established Member
I can tell you in mine even though I don't have a tune or mods done yet the shifts are dead solid when Im performing spirited driving conditions. As far as just driving it around it engages each gear much more solid but I came from a factory setup also.

bslaw83

Established Member
Installed mine last night on jack stands. Install was pretty straight forward. The new support arms threw me off for a second. Also, putting that damn dust cover back on was the hardest part of the whole mod. It was SUCH a PITA!!!!

It's my first after market shifter ever. I'm really impressed so far. Shifts feel solid and it makes me very confident in the hard throws. I did pick up some additional road noise, but nothing that the radio or exhaust won't cover. Still a little notchy from 1st to 2nd, but I think it's a transmission issue more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread