Got my PB and Grenaded an axle

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Agree about the Torsen. It's not exactly the diff of choice for drag strip duty but I'm more corner carver than straight line hauler so my Torsen stays. The odd drag strip romp shouldn't hurt it too much.

Beercules

Established Member
Don't go with moser and it won't break.

I agree with "J" on this one concerning the 9". Certainly you can tear up a back braced M-9 - 9" as well but with running slicks and softer sidewall tires the rear end stands a much better chance of not breaking under pressure. I put my 9" in my car in December 2014 and have logged over 5000 miles in it with no issues. But I'm not pounding it at the strip as you are on a regular basis either. Great times and and congratulations on your PB.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
A CHE axle brace will fit a TP 8.8" axle assy just make sure you purchase the brace with the proper rear cover plate.

I have one and will be installed tomorrow at my friend's shop.......and I've made my appointment for a date in June to install my 3:90 gear.

Tony

Nice man, I have a CHe DS loop. Can you take pics of the install and post up any info?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Swarr Axle brace is pretty good too. Im running the FRPP G2 girdle cover with the Moser (ARP 2000) Stud kit and the Swarr clears it just fine. I actually had to have JBA Speedshop in San Diego shorten the Swarr when I installed my BMR LCA relo brackets. Unsure if the CHE needs to be modified to fit relos.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Great move on the 3.73s that shift right before the stripe is killing the trap speed. 60’ is solid.
I understand why you’d think a 9” is overkill but these Cars are unique in that it’s a 4000# beast making 800lbft with a clutch. That’s way more stress than light auto cars even with more power.
If you never intend to go on a road course, you have the car set up great for the strip so my advice is to throw it back together and save for the 9”.
Or brace that 8.8 like a vault
-J

Thanks, I’ll look into the Che brace that Tony mentioned and see if I can make this setup last me until this winter then will re asses.
And you’re Torsen is on borrowed time
Sorry no good news
-J
Ordered an eaton trutrac

The 8.8 will always whine after the first launch and you'll twist 31 splines unless you take off lightly. The stock axles are 3g1 splines.
I put enough money in the stock axle to buy a 9", then realized what I was doing and just switched to 9".

onthe frost

Thanks for your input man, I’m just trying to get through this season. Was told these custom alloys are 30% stronger than the stock 31s so will see I guess.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Food for thought,

I fried a 35 spline Axle with just a 2.4” pulley/intake despite suspension goodies, a CHE brace and bias plys out back...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

paluka21

Established Member
You mean these guys didn't bend axles or have rear whining after all the drag strip testing?

Or was it a matter of accepting the weakness of the car and putting the cost to the owner to install a rear that could weather the torque and weight of these cars?
Stock cars are guilty of bending axles and having rear whine. Modified cars are essentially destroying them.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You mean these guys didn't bend axles or have rear whining after all the drag strip testing?

Maybe that's why they went with the no stick Goodyear tires and limited the rear tires to a 285. Less strain on the driveline.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Nice man, I have a CHe DS loop. Can you take pics of the install and post up any info?

No problem, I'll be heading there in about an hour's time and will do pics while my friend installs the brace.

Swarr Axle brace is pretty good too. Im running the FRPP G2 girdle cover with the Moser (ARP 2000) Stud kit and the Swarr clears it just fine. I actually had to have JBA Speedshop in San Diego shorten the Swarr when I installed my BMR LCA relo brackets. Unsure if the CHE needs to be modified to fit relos.

From what I've researched, the CHE brace is the only one that will "bolt on" to an 8.8 axle even if you have relocation brackets installed. They actually have a separate PDF for installation of the axle brace when you have relo brackets on (their own version and BMR ones).

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0917/6502/files/CHE9LReloBracketPrint.pdf?8938759257717753968

My car isn't lowered but I might in the future and this brace allows me to do that when I add the brackets.

Tony

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I don't get why people are frying their diffs and axles on this car. There are people I know that beat on their cars at the track every weekend and I've never heard of them killing their 8.8" assemblies.

Either they had it built like a tank (and most of us thought ours might be built too like a tank then find out the hard way) or they find whole assemblies so cheap that they just re & re the whole thing after every outing and toss out the wrecked ones like junk.

paluka21

Established Member
Maybe that's why they went with the no stick Goodyear tires and limited the rear tires to a 285. Less strain on the driveline.

That's exactly what they did. I know several guys who had gear whine as soon as they went with a tire that actually hooked. While one or two others who had bent axles on the stock goodyears. Even when the stock hockey pucks get warm on the street, they can hook ok in 2nd.
I suppose the bottom line it came down to bean counters and compromising on certain parts to keep the car at a specific price point.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't get why people are frying their diffs and axles on this car. There are people I know that beat on their cars at the track every weekend and I've never heard of them killing their 8.8" assemblies.

Either they had it built like a tank (and most of us thought ours might be built too like a tank then find out the hard way) or they find whole assemblies so cheap that they just re & re the whole thing after every outing and toss out the wrecked ones like junk.
Most people got SVTPP and Torsen diffs which are great just don’t take drag shock loading. Axles are borderline at 660+hp in a heavy stick car as is the entire assembly. I went to track on stock tires to get my 11 sec 100% stock pass at 600 miles and left with gear whine. Then free labor to put in 4.10s :)
-J

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Most people got SVTPP and Torsen diffs which are great just don’t take drag shock loading. Axles are borderline at 660+hp in a heavy stick car as is the entire assembly. I went to track on stock tires to get my 11 sec 100% stock pass at 600 miles and left with gear whine. Then free labor to put in 4.10s :)
-J

I ordered an Eaton True trac, how will that compare to the stocker?

My pics and install notes are in my "Mods begin again" thread, take a look there.

Tony

Thanks man, I’ll check it out.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
How do I properly fill the diff with a diff cooler being a TP car? I’m guessing I’d have to jump the pump to purge all of the old fluid first since stock fluid is synthetic and I was told not to run synthetic now with the new axles, truetrac and gears.

Anyone do this before?

Snoopy49

Established Member
How do I properly fill the diff with a diff cooler being a TP car? I’m guessing I’d have to jump the pump to purge all of the old fluid first since stock fluid is synthetic and I was told not to run synthetic now with the new axles, truetrac and gears.

Anyone do this before?

It looks like you need to remove the diff pump relay from the battery junction box and place a jumper between pins 3 & 5.

Differential Cooling Pump Wiring Diagram.pdf

Attachments

• Differential Cooling Pump Wiring Diagram.pdf
    489.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread