Got offered a job at carmax, need input

RiffRaff04

Established Member
Hey guys, I just got offered a job at carmax today as a sales rep. I know auto industry is in the crapper right now but I'm thinking about taking this job. Here is my problem,I have a decent job at verizon wireless as a technician now. It has great benefits and decent pay but I'm not sure how long I can take phone calls from pissed off customers. Anyone ever had an experience working for carmax? Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys

Sublimize23

Established Member
I know Carmax pays on commission. If you think you can sell, then do it.. I know the Dodge dealership I worked at in high school, if you can't sell, you're gone in a month or two. With the economy the way it is, I can't see many people buying cars, much less buying extremely overpriced used cars.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I know Carmax pays on commission. If you think you can sell, then do it.. I know the Dodge dealership I worked at in high school, if you can't sell, you're gone in a month or two. With the economy the way it is, I can't see many people buying cars, much less buying extremely overpriced used cars.

overpriced or not they are selling cars like a mofo here in vegas. the one on west Sahara sold 300 last month. the dodge dealer i work at sold like 80. only problem is they pay a flat 100-150$ per sale, plus extras for warranty and accesory sales. i would prefer to get paid 30-35% so i can rape unsuspecting folks and make a nice living. if you know what your doing car sales can be very lucrative.

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
I worked for Carmax almost three years. It is a good place to work, but I seen a lot of changes happen in my time there that weren't for the better. And, since it is a commision job, you will have your politics games. Right now sales are okay b/c of tax returns, but who knows how long that may stay up? I worked in the service dept., but I saw a lot of guys get some cuts, and seen a lot of salesmen worked out of the door. If you have steady pay now, I wouldn't recommend leaving.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Hey guys, I just got offered a job at carmax today as a sales rep. I know auto industry is in the crapper right now but I'm thinking about taking this job. Here is my problem,I have a decent job at verizon wireless as a technician now. It has great benefits and decent pay but I'm not sure how long I can take phone calls from pissed off customers. Anyone ever had an experience working for carmax? Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys

sweet sell me a gt mustang for a penny...:-D, so i can get rid of this hunk of v-6 junk im driving around.

venmos1

Established Member
what about a new position where you are now? and there are no guarantees with college either.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Stay at Verizon and when the angry customer call, do what every other customer service person does and put them on hold for an hour.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Personally, I'd probably stay where you are and try to move around in the company.

Verizon should be a very stable company which is great job security. Plus, once you have your degree I'm sure you can move up the ladder at a decent rate. Some of those "higher-ups" make a pretty damn good living as well...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
psssshh!
college is for losers that want to do something with their life!

werd my wife has a Masters and doesn't make crap...but she is doing something with her life unlike my dumbass

pisses me off too lol

Last edited:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
moms fiance works there as a service writer. used to be a saleman there for awhile, left only to come back not too long after for the better position. he is doin very well there now.

Users who are viewing this thread