Got pulled over, did not get a ticket, just a ?

cody_288

Established Member
I pased a vehicle going 25 in a 35 zone tonite, and it was in a passing zone. The vehicle in front of the vehicle I passed was a police officer who hit his lights and pulled over. I passed him because he pulled over turned his lights off. He hit the lights again after I went around him. I pulled over and out comes a middle aged officer to my window and asks, "We're all going the speed limit here, what is your hurry". I reply with "He was going 25 in the 35 and I got to the passing zone and accelerated to 35 and passed him." He took my license and registration and proof of insurance and went to his car and came back and asked me to take my dice off of my rearview mirror as it is a $105 fine. He then told me to take it easy and looked in the bed of my truck with his flashlight and I thanked him and drove off.

My question is, What could he of ticketed me for with passing the vehicle behind him? I know I could of gotten the ticket for the dice so that is why I thanked him.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I think it's one of those "Why do YOU think you can pass me" situations. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't try to pass a cruiser but if I'm under the limit and he's going slow for whatever reason I can't help it in the Cobra. I've got to stay in fourth! :) (sarcasm)

edited by moderator.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Had a very similar experience MANY years ago (more than I'd care to remember at this point). I passed an LAPD cruiser who was doing 25 in a 35 zone with two lanes each direction. I made darn sure I was only doing 35 and as soon as I passed him, he pulled me over with an attitude. Yeah, I was driving a built SBC in my '57 Chevy (wish I still had that one) and it was loud.

He really gave me crap about doing 45 in a 35 and I did not back down one bit - asked him if he thought, driving that type of car, I was absolutely stupid enough to pass a cop 10 mph over the speed limit?? On a street close to home I drive every day knowing the speed limit. He backed down but started giving he a lecture how he wouldn't let HIS kid drive a car like THIS.

Back then, we chained/locked our hoods shut as there was exterior access to the engine compartment and anyone could steal your performance parts. He even tried to open the hood and found it locked. Looked at me like "open it up" and I just shrugged.

Some cops are fine - I've had great experiences. Some aren't as nice - have had a couple of bad experiences. And, I never start out with an attitude when I get pulled over. It's like life - it has its ups and downs. Fortunately, mostly ups.

Be glad you just got a warning!! Sounds like he was being OK.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
i have also been pulled over by a statie cuz i passed him when everyone was doing like 20 to stay behind him. he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 40 in a 30... which i obviously appealed and won... he told me its illegal to pass a police cruiser.. he was a douchbag.. though i have met many nice officers as well

cody_288

Established Member
I passed the car behind him... not the officer himself. He pulled over to let me pass and then proceeded to pull me over. I'm thinking he may have heard my truck. Sorry for being unclear.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
he told me its illegal to pass a police cruiser..
This sounds ridiculous, but is it true? I could imagine that if they had their lights/sirens on it might be, but in a normal situation? Can an LEO chime in here just to clarify please?

Users who are viewing this thread