Got rear ended last night #@$%^*&

SNKBITE

Established Member
Unbelieveable!!!
I decided to drive the Cobra to the auto parts store last night to pick up some parts for the 94 Probe GT I just bought for my daughter as her first car ( she is 16).
I was setting at a stop light and bigger than $hit, BOOM, I get rear ended and pushed about 20 foot down the street.
I did not see it coming as I was not lookin in the rear view. I shut off the car and without really considering the consequences, jumped out and started yelling at the poor bastard that hit me like I was some kind of a mad man. All he could do was quickly get back into his Cadillac and shut the door.
Once I settled down, yea right, I called the State Patrol who came out and took the report.
He admitted he was not paying attention so naturally he was sited for it.
As far as damages go, his liscense plate put 2 round holes in the rear bumper cover right below the C-O-B-R-A indentation, along with several scratches where his plate acutally lifted the lower trim piece below the bumper cover. It will more than likely take both pieces and some good painting to repair it.
Too add insult to injury, I am about as anal as anyone I know when it comes to detailing and cleaning my car. It normally sets in the garage with a cover on it when not in use.
Sometimes you just can't win

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That really sucks. I would get underneath your car and look for damage as well. Back in 00 when I had a focus I got rear-ended and pushed as you did an on the outside it looked like just the bumper cover was going to need replaced. However in the morning when I got under the car I found that my entire rear frame, and floor pan was buckled substancially. Deffinately check to make sure everything in the rear is still within spec. after a rear-ending the car really should be put on an alignment rack for safety sake.

Are you going through your insurnace or his?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I work for State Farm insurnace, and used to be on the Auto side (now with Life). Depending on the state you are in there are differing rules and regulations. My #1 piece of advise is to inspect the car yourself before you let the other companies adjuster look at the car. You need to be able to point out to the adjuster more than just the obvious, because really they don't look. They're goal is to get your car repaired at the cheapest possible cost to the company. This usually means they mis the little details like a small crease in your 1/4 panel, or a dented exhaust pipe. It's usually little stuff, but as a car enthusiest you see it. Make sure he gets under the car too!

Hope everything works out for you, and you get the car repaired quickly.

SNKBITE

Established Member
The shop that is going to do it is owned by a friend, and they have done the body and paint on 2 of the 3 vehicles that I have restored over the past 10 years. I am very certin that they will not let anything get "by" them. It is going in Monday evening.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Wow, sorry to hear that. What shop is fixing the car?

I had the enjoyment of walking out to my car this morning only to find 2 slashed tires. It makes me wish that I still lived in Canton at my parents house.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I can't belive the only damage was your bumper.. I would definately scrutinize everything as already stated....

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
That realy sucks dude, It allways has to happen to the nice cars, I can't count how many close calls Ive had in the Cobra (which spends lots of time in the garage, and the cover is on the way LOL).......but noone ever gets close to my truck that I drive every day every where...........as stated before at least the guy has ins...hope you get her fixed better than new as soon as possible....

SNKBITE

Established Member
Thanks guys.
95orangecrush, the only person that I will allow to touch my vehicles is M&D Auto Body in Hartville. I have known Mike the owner for about 20 years and in my book there is none better.
They have a painter ( only 25) that I would put up against any out there. He painted my 65 F-100 show truck and it took many, many best paint awards when I was showing it.
I have been under the car several times and I can not find any other damage. Not even the bumper support seems to have any damage on it.
However I am not sure that maybe he didn't trash my clutch (cough-cough) when my foot flew off of it and I was propelled 20 foot forward against the drive line.
Thanks again.

cobra101

Established Member
Sorry to hear that, it sucks! I know because I got rear ended out of stae within the first 6 weeks of picking up my new cobra. It did not even have plates on it yet! arrrghhhh. All I can say is try not to let it bother ya too much. It will get fixed. Ohhh and REMEMBER, it is still FAST! That helped me get through it.

Pick a good body shop, I thought the one I went to was good. It was recommended by 2-3 people here at work and it was on my insurance companies list of shops as well. Well really long story short, they messed up a bunch of things. The funniest and most noticeable was that it had a 2001 cobra rear bumber cover on it when I went to pick it up! The guys like "no, it is the correct one. It says "COBRA" on it, right? I was like yeah it does but they did in 2001 and 2003, we need the smoother one. He then gets flustered and says "Wait let me get your old one, I sill have it in the back". Well, as you know he ate some humble pie. They then got a new one and painted it. They called me up a couple of days later and said "You'll have to come get your car next week instead of this week. We got the wrong rear bumper cover, AGAIN". Silly people, they had to eat the cost of TWO wrong bumper covers because they had painted them and they became unreturnable.

There were several other things they screwed up. Real quickly: Scratched window, chipped molding over drivers door (fine when I brought it in), A Big stress crack in that molding as well, chip in hood, and 2 stolen CD's (they were in the 6 cd changer, they must have had to eject them). I probably forgot something, it was awhile ago. They fixed most of the problems but there are still some signs of there lack of talent.

Users who are viewing this thread