Got some news on new cobra.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Ok, I know someone posted something similiar to this already but it's not exactly the same.

Ok, so Ford will be producing the V-10 powered "cobra" in celebration of the Shelby cobra of the 60's. But because of this, SVT is seriously considering dropping the SVT Mustang Cobra name. They will continue to produce an SVT mustang but as of now, I don't know the name of it. Supposedly it will be a supercharged DOHC 5.4 liter motor advertised at 480hp. But as of now, the engine dynoes are showing closer to 580hp.

That's all I know.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Oh yeah, if you have questions on whether this info is credible or not, trust me it is. We had a couple Ford Reps come to our dealership the other day and give us the low down on Fords plans, this being the year of the car and the hype of the Mustang, (Shelby) Cobra, and future SVT products.

In my opinion, the Lightning should just be called the SVT F-150, and the mustang should just be called the SVT Mustang. I hope that's what they end up doing.

tweetersvt

Established Member
I am they type of guy that's not too keen on telling people I have an F-150 when it's realy a lightning, and I dont thind the cobra guys would appriciate everyone saying "that's a nice mustang" Yeah, I'm definately the proud owner of a F-150, it's got to be a lightning.

GTPlus

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
Ok, I know someone posted something similiar to this already but it's not exactly the same.

Ok, so Ford will be producing the V-10 powered "cobra" in celebration of the Shelby cobra of the 60's. But because of this, SVT is seriously considering dropping the SVT Mustang Cobra name. They will continue to produce an SVT mustang but as of now, I don't know the name of it. Supposedly it will be a supercharged DOHC 5.4 liter motor advertised at 480hp. But as of now, the engine dynoes are showing closer to 580hp.

That's all I know.

Someone should tell SVT this news! :rollseyes

because they keep calling it the 2007 SVT Mustang Cobra in this link.

http://www.svt.ford.com/newsPowerLease.asp

GAMEOVER

Established Member
Why would Ford put a V10 in an svt cobra, and not the GT40? I don't think the V10 is gonna happen.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by GAMEOVER
Why would Ford put a V10 in an svt cobra, and not the GT40? I don't think the V10 is gonna happen.

Gameover, I think you are confused a bit. When they say put a v-10 in a Cobra, they mean the new (A/C) Cobra (2 seat Shelby) concept that Ford is considering building, not the SVT Cobra Mustang.
The last word on that is that Ford wants to make the Cobra "more voluptuous", and that the design never got the approval of J Mays (VP of Ford design). What that means that the public didn't like the body and they are going to try a redesign to get the public excited like they did with the Ford GT. Maybe they should try windows on a $100K car. :rollseyes

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
The 10 was three years in development. A Ford press release had Romeo plant representitives saying that they will be tooled for the HP V10 motor, only later did they say "if" on the cobra roadster. Ford is restyling the Cobra showcar right now to have more flair after feedback at auto shows. when was the last time you heard of a show car getting a makeover???

The cobra nameplate needs to go back where it belongs. Most likely SE's like Mach and Boss will show up. Popular belief is that Shelby names will be used for SVT.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by GTPlus
Popular belief is wrong.

:rollseyes
It was implied from day one that the concept hides SVT elements in it. Like side scoops, quarter glass scoops, skunk stripes, a pair of narrow undecorated intakes scoops in the front third of the hood, rear seat delete, and wider then normal tail lights...all in the guise of a more "european", better handling mustang..........I remember these features on older mustangs, but I forget what they called them.:shrug:

Last edited:

GTPlus

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
:rollseyes
It was implied from day one that the concept hides SVT elements in it. Like side scoops, quarter glass scoops, skunk stripes, a pair of narrow undecorated intakes scoops in the front third of the hood, rear seat delete, and wider then normal tail lights...all in the guise of a more "european", better handling mustang..........I remember these features on older mustangs, but I forget what they called them.:shrug:

I think you misunderstood. read my post again, including the quote. :rollseyes

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by GTPlus
I think you misunderstood. read my post again, including the quote. :rollseyes

Why don't you speek fu#kin engligh? What are you talking about?
Because the SVT site still calls the 07 svt a "cobra"? Its the same reason the GT is reffered to as the GT"40" by multiple Ford executives in articles as recent as 2 months ago, even though Ford can not legally use that name. You can also add the upcoming "Futura" (which Ford actually lost a lawsuit against pep boys for the name) It is still being reffered to in Ford publications including last month's Frontline, an in-house Ford publication. That car can not legally wear the Futura name. Its just habitually used because its how people distinguish model types. In more recent in-house publications and news and training updates, the word "Cobra" has been completely absent.

GTPlus

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
Why don't you speek fu#kin engligh? What are you talking about?
Because the SVT site still calls the 07 svt a "cobra"? Its the same reason the GT is reffered to as the GT"40" by multiple Ford executives in articles as recent as 2 months ago, even though Ford can not legally use that name. You can also add the upcoming "Futura" (which Ford actually lost a lawsuit against pep boys for the name) It is still being reffered to in Ford publications including last month's Frontline, an in-house Ford publication. That car can not legally wear the Futura name. Its just habitually used because its how people distinguish model types. In more recent in-house publications and news and training updates, the word "Cobra" has been completely absent.

Why don't you call and ask them 1-800-367-3788. It will still be called the SVT Mustang Cobra. At least I'm basing the name on official statments from SVT instead of internet rumors that are based on nothing more than the fact Ford showed a CONCEPT vehicle at an autoshow that had Shelbys name on it, which wasn't even a Mustang. But because it had the Cobra name on it everyone starts jumping to conclusions. Like that must mean that SVT won't use Cobra, or the SVT's will be Shelby's, or it will be just SVT Mustang.

Last edited:

cobraRcraig

Established Member
pick up the latest issue of mustang enthusiast. It will clear up all the bs. the car will still be called the mustang cobra.
as far as that svt mustang shi$, nope don't like that crap

Users who are viewing this thread