Got the cobra dynoed today, fricken amazing!!!

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Hey guys, my mods are 2.93 and 4 lower, K&N filter, stock catback, KB boost a pump(at 25 for both pulls) and lethal upgrade, everything else stock, the blower is not even ported. One SCT tune was done with 93 octane, the other was done the same way but with a 50 dry shot, post maf. Check it out and let me know what you guys think. I will scan dyno sheets tonight, but let me know how I can post them here, so you can have a look for yourselfs.

1st pull, without nitrous gave me a modest 465rwhp and 520tq
2nd pull with a 50 dry shot(100 octane) gave me only 502rwhp but an amazing 670tq!!!!
This was a conservative tune; 21 degrees timing and 11:6 A:F across the board and the nitrous was 19 degrees and 11:6 all across the board. Its just the way I wanted it.

I thought on these 04 Cobras, that the 50 shot would give 80 to 100rwhp? How come it didn't do that? It only gave me 37 rwhp extra. The fuel pumps were not even close to maxing out and the maf had lots of room to go still. The TQ tripled gave it 150TQ more with the 50 shot. What the fu*k? The dyno dude said to bring back the car with a 75 shot because my goal is to get about 520-550rwhp and the TQ at this rate should be 740TQ if we assume it will triple again. If I get it dynoed with the 75 shot, I will let you know the findings. Please anyone that knows why the RWHP was lower than expected or the TQ was higher than expected, I'd like to hear the theory/reason behind it. I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket catback will help the 50 shot become close to 80-100 rwhp, like most of you report it should be on here. Alone without nitrous, the catback is good for what 20HP? Its a mystery folks.

Last edited:

OrangeRocket

Established Member
Typically a 50 shot will add 50hp, and 100tq to the rear wheels. Different cars respond somewhat differently, and an auto and stall can screw these gains up, but I am suprised about the 670tq and wonder if that wasn't off a spike. I would love to see the dynochart on that one. Could also be a spike from the clutch slipping when the shot hit. Was this on a DynoJet?
We had one dyno with 100shot that gained 111rwhp and 197rwtq. It ended up at 567rwhp and 646rwtq, and this is with supporting mods (HE, BAP, Stg1 ported Eaton). I am almost thinking your clutch may be slipping, or something else is up. That torque is -off- what it should be for your HP level, just looked real quick at 5 terminators we tuned. You should be making almost the same TQ and HP without the NX.
This is the gains we saw off the same car, on 91 Octane with safe tune.
Non Nitrous #'s - 456rwhp / 449rwtq
.........100Shot - 567rwhp / 646rwtq

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I can't believe your not pegging your MAF with that combo. Also, you should see more like 25-30rwhp with the right catback and those mods. Why on EARTH have you not done exhaust on that pappy?? It's gotta be one of the most gratifying mods you can do on these cars!

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Rick James said:
I can't believe your not pegging your MAF with that combo. Also, you should see more like 25-30rwhp with the right catback and those mods. Why on EARTH have you not done exhaust on that pappy?? It's gotta be one of the most gratifying mods you can do on these cars!

+1 ..

Also .... PORT THAT BLOWER and then see what happens ..

Crowley

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Rick James said:

The tuner said I'm not even coming close to pegging. And the nitrous setup is post maf, so it doesn't matter what horse I'm running, it won't peg. I will never buy an aftermarket catback. I love the supercharger scream, and a loud catback would drain that out. I love the compliments I get from my gatorback belt. My car pulls very crazy right now, so I don't want to port. I'm happy with nitrous, thank you very much. For those that have not juiced, your missing out on the fun.

I called the tuner, and he said that the numbers are real. Not sure if it was a dynojet. All I know is that it was on these big ass rollers, hooked up to a computer, and thats about it. If anyone wants to see my dyno results, then you better provide good instructions for me to post them here. I have no clue how to post results on here. The dyno sheets have been scanned though, so let me know, thanks.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
The tuner said I'm not even coming close to pegging. And the nitrous setup is post maf, so it doesn't matter what horse I'm running, it won't peg. I will never buy an aftermarket catback. I love the supercharger scream, and a loud catback would drain that out. I love the compliments I get from my gatorback belt. My car pulls very crazy right now, so I don't want to port. I'm happy with nitrous, thank you very much. For those that have not juiced, your missing out on the fun.

I called the tuner, and he said that the numbers are real. Not sure if it was a dynojet. All I know is that it was on these big ass rollers, hooked up to a computer, and thats about it. If anyone wants to see my dyno results, then you better provide good instructions for me to post them here. I have no clue how to post results on here. The dyno sheets have been scanned though, so let me know, thanks.

Cool .. btw .. I have a magnaflow cattedx and magnaflow catback .. I can still here the blower wine plenty but it is louder than stock ...

If you have the pictures scan .. send em to [email protected] .. I'll post them up for you ..

Crowley

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
I will never buy an aftermarket catback. I love the supercharger scream, and a loud catback would drain that out.

Well, its your car but just so you know, you can throw some Magnaflows on there and pick up a lot of HP and STILL hear your S/C scream all day. I have Magnaflows and stock midpipe and I still hear the Heaton at ALL times.

kino

Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
I will never buy an aftermarket catback. I love the supercharger scream, and a loud catback would drain that out.

When I had the double pulley combo and 3inch exhaust I could still hear the blower scream. Get a good catback with x-pipe.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Crowley said:
Cool .. btw .. I have a magnaflow cattedx and magnaflow catback .. I can still here the blower wine plenty but it is louder than stock ...

If you have the pictures scan .. send em to [email protected] .. I'll post them up for you ..

Crowley

HAH!! I have BBK LT headers, BBK O/R X pipe and the Magnaflow Catback and hardly ever do I hear my KB whine.

Nice numbers BTW.

mustang john

Established Member
Rick James said:

I datalogged my 2.93/#4 unported combo and only had MAF counts peak at 996 counts and pegged is 1023 i think. I still added a Mafia because im adding a 50 shot premaf and wanted to be safe. Also added a BAP and wire upgrade and #60 injectors for safety sake.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Crowley said:

Crowley

Okay, here you go guys. I sent two dyno sheets to Crowley, one without and one with nitrous. You will see in the first one that I make 465.3RWHP and 524.3TQ and then with the 50shot 502.4RWHP and 669.7TQ. I called the tuner and he said these numbers are what they are. No clutch slipping, or anything else that would cause a weird TQ result. These results are real. The runs were done at a conservative 11.6 A:F ratio for both pulls. The tuner tricked the MAF into thinking it was an SCT 2400 big MAF, but really it is a stock MAF. The tuner also told me he had a secret for producing big TQ in these cars. He works at Fords, and he knows his shit. You want a quick way to make 30RWHP? Buy 2 or 3 ice bags and put your supercharger and intake on ice for 20 minutes. Remove the ice bags, and your ready to race. The tuner dynoed it and gave 30rwhp. For me, if I do this, it may raise my A:F ratio to 11.7, possible 11.8. Or if a cool front hits my car, or if I get a heat exchanger and ice box intercooler down the road, again the A:F ratio will go slightly up. Thats why he tuned it conservatively at 11.6. He also adjusted what the humidity was that day of tuning. It was 70% in my city and his dyno was within 2% of that. The tuner knows his shit, my car is an animal, and she still has plenty of room to grow.

Okay Crowley, the members here are waiting for my dyno results to be posted here. Tell me what you guys think of the results. I can feel a big difference in power and acceleration, its incredible. I now have a big smile on my face, when I stomp on the gas!!!

Last edited:

YellowCobra28

Established Member
mustang john said:
I datalogged my 2.93/#4 unported combo and only had MAF counts peak at 996 counts and pegged is 1023 i think. I still added a Mafia because im adding a 50 shot premaf and wanted to be safe. Also added a BAP and wire upgrade and #60 injectors for safety sake.

Every car is different, every tuner is different. You could have gotten away without a MAF upgrade if you went to my tuner. He loves the nitrous setup post MAF dry shot, cause his tuning program adds the fuel for you, so that you don't blow up your shit. I too have the lethal upgrade kit with my BAP set at 25 for nitrous and for my stock setting. With my stock injectors and the BAP/upgrade, my tuner says that with a bigger shot of nitrous, I can be in the 540-550rwhp range and my pumps could handle it, (I'd probably be around 90% maxed though). I will let you guys know next week, as my tuner will not charge me to do another dyno run. We were suppose to do a 75 and 100 dry shot, but I needed some good racing fuel. We will continue this late next week, possibly next weekend. My goal with the nitrous is about 540-550rwhp, and at this rate the TQ will be 730-750TQ I don't know. For some reason my car can make triple the TQ, but when it comes to HP, it makes a little less than what the shot says it can do. I am happy with the performance though, would be nice for an explanation though. I called NOS and spoke to Kyle about it, and he says that all cars are different, and that it can give me more or less what the shot says it can do. He said for the TQ to go up like that, he says he has seen that before. Something about the intake charge being less, and everything cooling down making the supercharger more efficient. I still wanted to see my horsepower double like everyone on here claims, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Here you go man! ....

dyno1a.gif

dyno2a-50shot.gif

I would say in your non 50 shot, you are giving up some low end TQ with your A/F .. bring it up closer to 12 and you'll see some gains .. also was this through at the tailpipe? Also .. if you port the blower you will continue to make power after 5k rpms :)

Crowley

Last edited:

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Thanks for posting the results, wow that was quick dude!!! Your quicker than a fax machine. I may port in the future, not sure yet. My tuner knows a guy locally that can do it for $350 here in Canada.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Not sure if it was through the tailpipe? I think once before he mentioned the tailpipe, but I think he was against it for some reason. Not sure, I will ask him next week when I go back. He mentioned the 02 bung, but really I don't know what kind of dyno he used either. Crowley does it make a difference if it is tailpipe or not? If it wasn't through the tailpipe, than where else would it be in? Just curious, I'm new when it comes to this dyno stuff. I can only go by what the tuner tells me, and what he thinks is best for the car. All I know is that he payed $30,000 for the dyno machine and there is an even bigger dyno, that costs double that.
I understand what you mean about getting more TQ down low, but it was tuned like that for a reason. The car is actually easier to launch without it being so torquey down low. But it still hauls ass from the get go. I recommend people to get their car dyno tuned with the SCT xcal2, and a custom tune tailored to your car/needs. You won't regret it, and you can see/feel the difference in performance, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
Not sure if it was through the tailpipe? I think once before he mentioned the tailpipe, but I think he was against it for some reason. Not sure, I will ask him next week when I go back. He mentioned the 02 bung, but really I don't know what kind of dyno he used either. Crowley does it make a difference if it is tailpipe or not? If it wasn't through the tailpipe, than where else would it be in? Just curious, I'm new when it comes to this dyno stuff. I can only go by what the tuner tells me, and what he thinks is best for the car. All I know is that he payed $30,000 for the dyno machine and there is an even bigger dyno, that costs double that.
I understand what you mean about getting more TQ down low, but it was tuned like that for a reason. The car is actually easier to launch without it being so torquey down low. But it still hauls ass from the get go. I recommend people to get their car dyno tuned with the SCT xcal2, and a custom tune tailored to your car/needs. You won't regret it, and you can see/feel the difference in performance, you won't be disappointed.

Do you have an Air/Fuel meter in the car? If so, you probably have an O2 bung welded up close to the headers(manifolds) or did you have one welded in before to use for tuning. There is usually a little difference if your A/F is read from a bung close to the headers vs at the back of the car in the tailpipe ....

Anyway .. I bet it is a blast to drive :)

Crowley

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Crowley said:
Do you have an Air/Fuel meter in the car? If so, you probably have an O2 bung welded up close to the headers(manifolds) or did you have one welded in before to use for tuning. There is usually a little difference if your A/F is read from a bung close to the headers vs at the back of the car in the tailpipe ....

Anyway .. I bet it is a blast to drive :)

Crowley

I don't have an A/F meter in the car, but I am looking at getting a wideband though for safety when running nitrous. I do have the window switch for now. Yeah the car is fun to drive on the street, but I want to take it to the track so I can open her up a little bit more. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread