Got vibration at 80+, check this

sapper

Established Member
I have had the vibration issue since day one. I can't feel it, but the rear view mirror blurs at speeds of 80+. The side mirrors stay clear at this speed.
I have had the tires road force balanced and the DS replaced and indexed. This work had no effect. A SVT service rep took the car out and said it was sweet and did not think any vibration was comming from the rear axle.
Here is what is strange, if you touch the front windshield near the top at 80+ speed you will feel it vibrating. Touch it near the bottom and you do not feel any vibration.
Could this problem a lot of us are having be caused by Air Turbulance?
Comments?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I don't think air turbulence in my case. I don't feel a shake in the steering or the seat, the side mirrors do not shake either, but my rear-view does. Sounds like we have the same thing, BUT mine does this taking off from a dead stop, or fast acceleration. I can't feel it, or see anything else shaking, but my rearview gets blurred. I have radar detector wire that comes from the windshield mounted detector that will shake to the stereo bass, or bad bumps, but it doesn't move under normal conditions...but the detector does and it is harder to "shake". I'm thinking since the seat, steering wheel, shifter, and many other things DON'T shake and the windshield does, it is being transferred through the body somehow. I've had other Mustangs that didn't do this and I'm thinking it's the way the T-56 mounts or the rear-end mounts. Something that would shake the body. I don't think it's turbulence or alignment.

RJCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by sapper
I have had the vibration issue since day one. I can't feel it, but the rear view mirror blurs at speeds of 80+. The side mirrors stay clear at this speed.
I have had the tires road force balanced and the DS replaced and indexed. This work had no effect. A SVT service rep took the car out and said it was sweet and did not think any vibration was comming from the rear axle.
Here is what is strange, if you touch the front windshield near the top at 80+ speed you will feel it vibrating. Touch it near the bottom and you do not feel any vibration.
Could this problem a lot of us are having be caused by Air Turbulance?
Comments?

I had the same exact thing, and I just yesterday noticed that it had dissappeared (about 3200 miles on the clock)

sapper

Established Member
What gear I am in 5th or 6th, does not effect the vibration. Also I can engage the clutch and that won't effect anything.
Would'nt a frame vibration from the axle affect the whole windshield the same? I find it really odd that only the top part of the windshield vibrates.
The dealer is going to replace the rear view mirror per my request to see if that helps any.
At least most of my driving is at speeds below 80 mph, so I don't notice anything.

BTW, when I shifted the rear view mirror to the night setting, the blurring is much worse. Try this during the day and adjust your mirror to see the effect.

Blades

Established Member
Hmm. Does it come on at 60 as well but not as bad? Usually DS vibes happen at 2 diff speeds. Its odd that every vibration we have on this car happens at 80mph regardless of DS, tires, or other components.

That said, even after my driveshaft was replaced I experienced a little vibration. Did you try calling SVT? You do not have to put up with this at all, even tho most of your driving is below 80 (and so is mine) the car is meant to go well above that mark and feel stable at those speeds. This is what you payed for. Fight for it. Good luck with everything. I'm sorry I cannot help.

sapper

Established Member
The area SVT rep did drive my 03. He did not find any vibration problem. If you have a good eye you can see the bluring start at 75 mph. Its easy to see from 80 on up.
Blades, The car does feel stable. It runs great. No lane drift or shake. The only way to know something is up is to look in the mirror. Even at 100, the car feels smooth. I assumed that I was getting a vibration at such a high frequency that I could not feel it(except high up on the windshield).
IF I had not bought the car out of state and driven it home 8 hours on the interstate, I do not think I would of ever noticed I had the vibration issue.

cobrakarl

Established Member
I have this 80+ mph vibration problem, only noticeable by seeing it as others discuss when looking through the rear view mirror. I do like to drive fast, regularly over 100 mph - almost every time I drive it.
My concern is whether it is safety issue - I am thinking perhaps not since I have heard of no accidents from this problem.
Any comments related to safety would be appreciated.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I just took the cobra for its first long drive, 600 miles round trip. I had the car at 85mph for most of the way, at times 100. I didnt feel any vibe at all. The rear view mirror shook very little, just from the bumps in the road im guessing. How can some of these cars have the vibe and others not on a production car?

wmccormick

Established Member
I had the 80mph vibe dealer fixed it with a new driveshaft, I recently took the car up to 125 and the whole car felt like it was going to fall apart. I was thinking it might be the half shafts any thoughts.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
wmccormick, was it better or worse with the new DS? I've had 2 replaced with no positive fix..

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
i just drove from michigan to dallas, and never would have known i had it if i hadnt have done that...

haskett

Established Member
No vibe here, but my rear view mirror vibrated like crazy. Dealership had no problems fixing the mirror.

Tweaker

Established Member
Actually the loose mirror is quite common. Had that problem in my old 2001 'Vette (especially on hot days).

Users who are viewing this thread