gotta fine tune my set-up..

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
best time was an 11.1 at 117..I had to let out in 4th as soon as I hit 4th the car went sideways and walked towards the wall...

Best 1.8th was a 7.1 at 100...1.6x's with 28x1150 et streets...

Top end was weak..I'm being told its prob because of the 28" tall tire...
Gonna try some 26's and see .....

easy shifting..I dorve 3.5 hours to the track and back..so I needed to go a lil easy....lol...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
best time was an 11.1 at 117..I had to let out in 4th as soon as I hit 4th the car went sideways and walked towards the wall...

Best 1.8th was a 7.1 at 100...1.6x's with 28x1150 et streets...

Top end was weak..I'm being told its prob because of the 28" tall tire...
Gonna try some 26's and see .....

easy shifting..I dorve 3.5 hours to the track and back..so I needed to go a lil easy....lol...
Glad you let out.....just not worth pushing it at 100 miles an hour if you're getting too squirrely.

I've been on 28" tall slicks for a year now and have been great on the back half of the track. Generally pick up 30+ MPH from the 1/8th to the 1/4. Are you sure it's not a heat/timing issue?

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
well, Im very happy you chimed in my friend...a few people were saying I need lower gears if I plan to keep the 28's...I don't know..i know i didn't get to many clean passes..either a 1.7 60....or it got a lil loose in 4th and had to let out...

What psi are in your 28's ??? stock gears??? I was at 12.5 hot....

Stopsign32v

Established Member
No offense but with those numbers I seriously doubt you were spinning bad enough to hit the wall going into 4th. Maybe there was something on the track?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
well, Im very happy you chimed in my friend...a few people were saying I need lower gears if I plan to keep the 28's...I don't know..i know i didn't get to many clean passes..either a 1.7 60....or it got a lil loose in 4th and had to let out...

What psi are in your 28's ??? stock gears??? I was at 12.5 hot....
Yeah, it's fairly common to hear that 28" slicks with 3.55 gears is not going to get it done at the end of the track. But, I don't seem to be having any problems and generally go through the traps at 6,000-6,100. I'm running 3.55's, but am considering going 3.73's this winter for next season and possibly raise my shift points a bit. I've been running 12- 12.5 psi hot, but know a couple of fellas that are doing better than I at 10-11 psi.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Hey..thats not bad at all for taking it easy and letting off.....

The best gear I found to use in my modded Terminators was a 3.90 with 28 inch tall slick. And I would stick to 12.5 lbs of air in them. Any less and you will start to get wiggly up top.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
No offense but with those numbers I seriously doubt you were spinning bad enough to hit the wall going into 4th. Maybe there was something on the track?

ever hear of the ass end getting light and the car gettin loose..wow, have you ever raced tool bag???

Might have been a timing issue also.....Thanks guys....1/8th times were good...could have been better....but shows the car is there....

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
What front tires are you running? Are they a bias ply skinny drag tire or are you running wider street radials? A wide radial on the front doesn't work well with a bias ply drag tire on the rear, especially on the top end.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
What front tires are you running? Are they a bias ply skinny drag tire or are you running wider street radials? A wide radial on the front doesn't work well with a bias ply drag tire on the rear, especially on the top end.

+1 That's what I was thinking.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
ever hear of the ass end getting light and the car gettin loose..wow, have you ever raced tool bag???

Getting light from what? Hitting a bump on the drag strip? :dw: And yes I've run at the track plenty of times and I also run a bit faster than you. :poke:

You probably confused low air pressure and the sway of the tires with getting loose. :lol:

MVD

Established Member
Getting light from what? Hitting a bump on the drag strip? :dw: And yes I've run at the track plenty of times and I also run a bit faster than you. :poke:

You probably confused low air pressure and the sway of the tires with getting loose. :lol:

Obvioulsy YOU have not raced much before. It is not uncommon for a car to get loose halfway down the track if it gets slightly out of the groove.

It is a very real situation and feels significantly different than a low pressure wrinkle wall slick on the big end.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Obvioulsy YOU have not raced much before. It is not uncommon for a car to get loose halfway down the track if it gets slightly out of the groove.

I agree totally...a 1000hp car will get out of shape if you get out of the groove with slicks.....a 500hp car will not. :bored:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I agree totally...a 1000hp car will get out of shape if you get out of the groove with slicks.....a 500hp car will not. :bored:

I disagree with you my friend.
I have a had a few scary moments on my 500+ runs and a few scarier ones with the 620+ N20 runs.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member

I've felt the car get out of the groove before at the top end and it was so unexpected I was actually suprised. Be it some oil or whatever it does happen. Much more noticeable on a big power car that needs the top of the track to really bite also.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member

I've felt the car get out of the groove before at the top end and it was so unexpected I was actually suprised. Be it some oil or whatever it does happen. It is much more noticeable on a big power car that needs the top of the track to really bite also.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I have a had a few scary moments on my 500+ runs and a few scarier ones with the 620+ N20 runs.

Like I said before maybe it was something on the track. I've been down the track many times in a 700rwhp 3200lb car on 18" wheels and it had no traction issues on the big end.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

+1.. I dont think high HP is the common factor on that...even the most experienced driver can have a vehicle get out of shape in a moment

tj04cobra

Established Member
I've felt the car get out of the groove before at the top end and it was so unexpected I was actually suprised. Be it some oil or whatever it does happen. Much more noticeable on a big power car that needs the top of the track to really bite also.

is it because the tires have such a tall side wall that they begin to walk a little bit and push you out of the groove? the ass of the starts to walk due to the tall side wall and a light ass end creating a traction issue? just curious i have never ran my car on slick just a drag radial only.

rtusnake

Established Member
I believe its just getting hot and pulling timing on the top end. I started icing my car down and its running mid 130's on the top end now. 2.4kb. I also run 28" tires with stock gearing.

Users who are viewing this thread