Grand Prix GTP tries and fails

SVTJES

Established Member
Hey Fellas,

Well this is in no way an awesome win like some I have seen on here, but in Iowa there are not many people who like to run on the street. I was off the beaten path on a nice 4 lane highway when a GTP in front of me kept passing cars. I see this and think hmm I bet he'll wanna play. I cruise up about 80 mph, driving like I had no care and slowly worked my way past him. Well as soon as I look he hits it to keep the two even. I let him tempt me for another couple minutes and then get on the gas. This was a 80 mph roll and the L pulled about 5 car lengths till 120 or so. After 120 I stayed in the gas until 140 when he was 15+ car lengths behind. I realize that 140 probably was not a safe speed, but at least I now know the L goes 140 mph! The weather was 96 degrees and humid today, the L did fairly well for being a stock brick. I hope to have some better GM kills down the road but out here people who like to run are few and far between. Again not an impressive kill, but fun!

SVTJES

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
15+ eh? So he let off at 120 then. Good kill though. My buddy from HS used to have a GTP with pullies, exhaust and some sound system mods. He beat a dodge dakota R/T once. Good kill man. Kill 'em all!!

SVTJES

Established Member
I had a Dakota R/T for 3 years with headers, exhaust, computer, etc... and only edged a GTP by the nose of the truck. The R/T just needed too many mods to compete with other high 14 sec cars and trucks. The truck was also a club cab R/t which didn't help!

SVTJES

wicked03snake

Established Member
the day i got my cobra i met up with a boy who lives in my neighborhood who owns a gtp he was impressed that i lifted the nose and stomped him, but at the same time those gtps dont move too bad for a mid-sized family oriented car.

davesgtp

Established Member
Good kill, do you know if the GTP was stock? I have lots of respect for you SVT guys, but the GTP's can be made really quick with little dough. Ah the ease of modding with a supercharged vehicle! You should check out our site sometime.....www.clubgp.com. There are plenty of guys in the club that are in the 12's and 13's, and a few in the 11's too. With less than $500 in bolt-on's, we're right at the 14 flat mark which I think is pretty close to a new SVT Lightning, right? Once the weather cools down and I can get to the track, I should be in the high 13's with my pulley, intake, exhaust, thermostat, plugs, and PCM.

Now stock for stock, sure the Lightning is going to take the win easily. Good kill though.

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
Was probably stock or not chipped. lol. They only hit 126mph without a dhp chip anyways, so anything after that would have been overkill anyway, hehe. Plus a 96 deg day is death to a non intercooled gtp, mine runs like night and day in 20 degree weather and 100 degree weather. I raced a lightning when my 99 gtp was stock, he had exhuast mods to say the least and rocked me from a 65mph roll, didnt expect it. nice truck.

most lightnings at the track will pull away from even me top end towards the end of the track b/c of the intercooler and gearing, of course im racing ones running deep 12s sometimes, not much id like to mess with on the street:p

davesgtp

Established Member
There was one at an 1/8 mi. track I went to not long ago. I think all he had was intake and exhaust, and a pulley. He pulled an 8.75 and I pulled a 9.1. Yea that one you raced must have not had the DHP PCM (it's not a chip, it's a PCM) which removes the 126 mph speed limiter. Even with the DHP, we don't pull hard up top without aftermarket rockers and cam. Down low is where we shine.

SVTJES

Established Member
I have respect for the GTP, my uncle just picked up a 2001 black SSEI bonneville with the chrome rims that looks sweet. From a dig that thing really pulled for a 6, I am talking him into a pulley and other goodies for it. All in all I was just in a mood to race about anyone!

Later,

SVTJES

Users who are viewing this thread