Grease leaking from axle?

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I pulled my right rear wheel off today because I noticed the inside of my wheel was covered with some sort of grease. After looking around I couldn't find any obvious origin of the leak, but my disc brake dust cover had grease caked up in it. Is there a seal at the end (close to the wheel) of the axle that holds axle grease? and if so how do I get to it, because the front was a bit different with the obvious grease-cap in the center of the rotor. This one looked like a circular clip in the center of the rotor.
Help is always appreciated,
-Joshua

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
your axle seal needs replacing, to do this you must remove the diff cover, remove center pin from the diff, remove the c-clips from the axles inside the diff, remove the brake caliper, and disc, then pull te axles out, you can then get a seal puller to remove the seal and reinstall a new one with a seal driver, carefully clean the axle, lube it good and carefully slide it back in then revers the process to reassemble. you should do BOTH axle seals while your in there.

or take it to a shop they should be able to do both seals for around $300

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Pitstain - thanks alot, just the info I was looking for. I'm defintely the do-it-yourself kinda guy when it come to working on my baby...
Thanks again.
-Joshua

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
This is pretty common. I let Ford do it for me under warranty. I got both axle seals replaced and a diff full of new fluid for free. Can't beat that...

Users who are viewing this thread