Great, another problem....

Stitch

Established Member
The brackets that connect my xpipe to my catback are bent. The ones on the x pipe side. I mean I can barely get the studs from the catback through the eyelets to tighten everything down.

I'm thinking that's causing an exhaust leak which is giving me my weird sound.

How the heck do I replace those brackets without having to cust the xpipe?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
That'd be a cut an weld job- personally I'd pull the x pipe out and take a big crecent wrench to it, and if need be a trusty hammer. I'd really make sure that was the leak before doing anything tho

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you are happy with the performance and sound of your exhaust and you are not planning on changing the system I would have that seam welded. It's a problematic spot for the mustang exhaust and if you aren't changing it, welding will get rid of the leaks for good.

If however you need to be swapping mid-pipes for emissions purpouses then that creates a bit of a problem. In which case you'll want to try and repair the bent flanges with a hammer and vise.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
parts stores sell two piece replacements for joints like this IIRC. You'd still need to cut off the old bracket/plates tho.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Torch10th said:
If however you need to be swapping mid-pipes for emissions purpouses then that creates a bit of a problem. In which case you'll want to try and repair the bent flanges with a hammer and vise.

Mustang owners would NEVER remove the emissions equipment. Of course your statement is just hypothetical. That is the kind of behavior I would expect from (gasp!) Camaro owners.

Stitch

Established Member
green99_svt said:
if its just the flange bent get some longer bolts

I could barely fit the standard bolts through without disconnecting them from the c/b flange. I'm thinking that the flange is flexing under load and creating a inconsistent leak. I have the factory system on now and will either be putting on a borla stinger or fr500 c/b. Plus if you weld, the whole system has to be dropped if tranny suspension work has to be done.

Stitch

Established Member
motorcitycobra said:
parts stores sell two piece replacements for joints like this IIRC. You'd still need to cut off the old bracket/plates tho.

Do you have a pic of this or what it would be called so I don't look like an idiot at the parts store.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
Stitch said:
Do you have a pic of this or what it would be called so I don't look like an idiot at the parts store.

In an Autozone or the like just check the exhaust parts section by the clamps. it's typically 2 half elliptical shaped pieces of round stock w/ the ends hammered flat and a hole drilled thru it. Put two of those together and you get a makeshift version of the flange for the ball and socket joint. If they've got 'em they'll be right there w/ the clamps and hangers.

Stitch

Established Member
motorcitycobra said:
In an Autozone or the like just check the exhaust parts section by the clamps. it's typically 2 half elliptical shaped pieces of round stock w/ the ends hammered flat and a hole drilled thru it. Put two of those together and you get a makeshift version of the flange for the ball and socket joint. If they've got 'em they'll be right there w/ the clamps and hangers.

ok, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread