Great gains from new C&L Performance system for the '05!

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
It looks interesting. I've seen (and used) a few "fool the MAF" schemes over the years with mixed reviews. The one I used suffered from some strange driveability problems (sags, and bogs). But that was on a turbocharged application.

As long as this was cheaper than a peice of pipe, a $35 K&N cone filter, some hose clamps and a custom dyno tune then I guess it might be worth it. Although the dyno tune would take into account other aftermarket stuff such as exhaust.

Did you get a chance to drive it on the street?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
It looks interesting. I've seen (and used) a few "fool the MAF" schemes over the years with mixed reviews. The one I used suffered from some strange driveability problems (sags, and bogs). But that was on a turbocharged application.

As long as this was cheaper than a peice of pipe, a $35 K&N cone filter, some hose clamps and a custom dyno tune then I guess it might be worth it. Although the dyno tune would take into account other aftermarket stuff such as exhaust.

Did you get a chance to drive it on the street?

The C&L MAF was the SAME ID as the stock MAF, so no trickery there. The upper cast aluminum TB to MAF intake is larger than the stock rubber hose so it flows much better (Have you seen that restrictive carbon trap in the stock unit!?!?). BTW... They tested just the TB to MAF piece and gained 6 RWHP using the stock MAF/Airbox/Filter. The new open element filter is a MONSTER, 4 in diameter and 8-10 in long. All this was done on the stock tune.

U.M.

Last edited:

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
My bad... I read it as the MAF housing was enlarged to trick the PCM into thinking less air was going into the motor and subsequently lean up the A/F ratio to 12:1. And of course if that had been the case you could accomplish the same thing by having someone tune the car to 12:1 on a dyno.

Yes, if it actually does flow better and doesn't perform any "MAF" trickery then that's a good thing.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Detroit_Doc said:
My bad... I read it as the MAF housing was enlarged to trick the PCM into thinking less air was going into the motor and subsequently lean up the A/F ratio to 12:1. And of course if that had been the case you could accomplish the same thing by having someone tune the car to 12:1 on a dyno.

Yes, if it actually does flow better and doesn't perform any "MAF" trickery then that's a good thing.

Keep trying the link in my initial post. Once you get through to the webpage there's pictures of the whole setup...

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread