Great...look what we are stuck with again in 2014+

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
Shelby GT500 Will Live On With Next-Generation Mustang

Should we be surprised in the least? Nah, don't be because anything less and Ford will never hear the end of Mustang fans' eternal disappointment and rage. According to a report coming from Mustangs Daily, the next-generation Mustang, due to arrive in either 2014 or 2015, will also include the Shelby GT500 model.Shelby American president John Luft specifically stated that “the contract (with Ford) has been extended, and we have a long-term vision for our relationship.It has been extended through 2015 and beyond."

I was really hoping for the end of Shelby Mustangs and the return of the Cobra :whine:

Ironhand

Banned
I was hoping they would kill it off and go out with a bang with the 2013. Then bring SVT back to its 03-04 status.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I'd prefer them to drop the Shelby name as well. When Carrol passes maybe the Shelby mustangs will die too.

Ironhand

Banned
I bet the same car, costing $8-10k less and badged a Cobra instead of a Shelby would sell more cars.

The "Shelby Tax" on every car is 2K. That is what Ford is required to pay Shelby for every GT-500 they make and that goes onto the buyer to pay.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
Shelby has been imbedded since the first GT500 for exactly the reason stated above. because his name sells cars to dummies and enthusiasts put up with it.

Shelby jumped at the opportunity when he saw the enormous potential of the 03-04 cobra and the success of them. he's got ford by the balls now that his new GT500 has been established as a house hold name. SVT wasn't as heavily known and is now a dwindling performance name even to many enthusiasts.

Ironhand

Banned
The Shelby name is what sells the car.

It also has people thinking its Special and as a result some dealerships are adding MASSIVE ADMs to the price tag. All because of the name Shelby.

I think for the consumer it would be better to drop the Shelby name.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
LOLORCOPTER at all the guys that bought GT500s thinking they were only gonna make them for a couple years!

i for one can't wait to see what the next one will be...i do however wish like many of you that they would drop the shelby name

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
It is just a badge, waht difference does it make how it is branded. If it was simply re-badged as an SVT cobra the price would drop 5k MAX

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It also has people thinking its Special and as a result some dealerships are adding MASSIVE ADMs to the price tag. All because of the name Shelby.

I think for the consumer it would be better to drop the Shelby name.

I wasn't aware of the actual value of the "Shelby tax" but I was aware that a lot of GT500's are marked up quite a bit above MSRP. That isn't the fault of Shelby directly, but the dealers I suppose.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Ah damnit to hell. I was hoping the Shelby name would be dropped. That really sucks. I wanted the Cobra and SVT names to be center stage again and not the Shelby designer brand name.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It is a cobra already... Special-Ed Vehicle Team badges never really caught on with me though.

The Cobra name is different and a GT500 is not a Cobra. All the latest and greatest Ford muscle is brought to us by SVT, how could you not like Special Vehicle Team? I know it's not the coveted GT badge but I think it's pretty nice. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread