Griggs Racing/CHE Performance Mods Pics

Boss949

Established Member
Griggs Racing/CHE Performance Mods Pics First Drive

This weekend had the following installed:

Griggs Racing Torque Arm Kit : Plants the rear end, ends wheel hop,etc. Check out the TA Performance Rear Girdle; Also, Torque Arm Kit required we replace OEM H pipe with X Pipe (FRPP) I don't miss the side exhausts.
Image1_zps1708c1f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CHE Performance K Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters/Competition Model, for 2nd Gear Lock Out (Drag Racing), 5th Gear Lockout (Road Racing). The remote mounted shifter under heavy load, the geometry can get messed up, this brace will help eliminate the issue.

Image_zps4daff598.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The true test of these mods will be on the track where I can push it and get real time stats.

That being said, I was able to do some high rev driving today and so far, I'm impressed.

6K shifts 1-2 and 2-3 flawless and the especially the 1-2 is like night and day; just slips in effortlessly! I can tell the CHE really changes the front end. tracking and steering feels even more responsive; the OEM K member looks like a pencil compared to the CHE.

As far as launching, although limited bc it's on the street; the rear end also felt so much different (Griggs Torque Arm). Of course all of this is just subjective and so far, I'm convinced the money spent is all good and has substantially changed the car. The real test will be verified on a track this Thurs night.

Last edited:

F.D.Sako

Established Member
seems to be mountain at the same location, so i'm guessing you will loose the trans cooler scoop. but maybe you can get someone to weld another scoop onto this brace.

Boss949

Established Member
seems to be mountain at the same location, so i'm guessing you will loose the trans cooler scoop. but maybe you can get someone to weld another scoop onto this brace.

See prior answer on the "shovel" scoop.

For what I do, it's more important to fix the geometry of the remote gear shifter and tranny for heavy load shifting.

86Fbody

Established Member
Looks very good. Had heard rumors that the CHE brackets bolted to the trans can shear, any knowledge on this?

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I had also run across some post regarding the CHE torque brackets, also negative. Think about this piece, and what it's bolted to. Other suspension mods I've seen require welding, new parts that provide reinforcement at critical stress points, high strength bolts, and better metal. While I have no first hand knowledge or proof that the CHE part will damage the MT-82, it doesn't seem like a good idea me as the trans was not engineered to handle additional torque on the housing.

My Boss has the infamous 3rd gear lockout/missed shift at WOT, even after installing MGW shifter. I was looking at Cortex racing upgrade, hoping the torque arm would reduce the deflection causing the missed shift. I want to get this upgrade next year. The rear LCAs on these cars are junk, wheel hop can get really nasty on uneven surfaces.

Xtreme-Grip Torque Arm System, 2005+ Mustang | | CorteX RacingCorteX Racing

Xtreme-Grip Watts Link System, Street, 2005+ Mustang - CorteX RacingCorteX Racing

Hopefully the torque arm the OP is installing will prevent damage to the trans housing, my hunch is that the 'ripped ears' report came from a vehicle that didn't have a torque arm. I wish the OP luck with this setup, looking forward to a post-install report.

Boss949

Established Member
Looks very good. Had heard rumors that the CHE brackets bolted to the trans can shear, any knowledge on this?

Great, now you tell me?

Lol. Not according to my sources. Except if you are running in excess of 800 RWHP , then this is not the model to use.

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
How has it been doing in keeping the trans lined up for shifts?

I went out tonight to try out some launching. Side road, no traffic

Launched at 2500 rpm; 1-2 @6500-6800 2-3 65-68

MT ET II's 35 lbs.

Dumped the clutch and absolutely no wheel hop or spin. Hooked up beautifully. Attribute this to the Griggs Torque Arm:

Shifting under load? 1-2 has never felt this easy; compares to the 2-3 with the MGW. It just slipped into 2nd; that's the best description I can think of. Big difference with high rev shifting; not power shifting.

I did 4 test runs. Seat of the pants tells me that I was being thrown into the seat much harder than ever before in the Boss.

So far it's all good.

I will go to the track for test and tune on Friday night and get some race slips to see exactly how its performing.

SD_Stang

Established Member
I know this is an older thread but I believe most of the work is likely being handled by the torque arm which is taking a lot of the stress away from the K member brace.

If you wanted to get rid of the K member brace for whatever reason I would recommend the simple whiteline tranny bushing, less weight than the torque limiter and will likely yield the same results of no missed shifts.

Boss949

Established Member
I know this is an older thread but I believe most of the work is likely being handled by the torque arm which is taking a lot of the stress away from the K member brace.

If you wanted to get rid of the K member brace for whatever reason I would recommend the simple whiteline tranny bushing, less weight than the torque limiter and will likely yield the same results of no missed shifts.

My installer and tech guru recommended both for different solutions.

I also have the whiteline bushing. Had it ordered before the CHE. I don't see any reason to get rid of the K Member Brace; It initially solved the 1-2 lockout, then we installed the Whiteline and the whole set up just feels and shifts great (along with the MGW). I don't want to change it at all. Similar to when you find a putter/driver/wedge that works, you just keep it in the bag.

Thanks for asking though.

Boss949

Established Member
I wanted to do a torque arm but heard fitment on this cars is a PITA. Did you have any trouble with fitment?

Yes, not a PITA. But had to exchange H pipe for the X. It would have taken some cutting, welding, etc. and so it was easier to do away with the H and side pipes.

Miss the side pipes at times; BUT, performance and handling gains are well worth it.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Yes, not a PITA. But had to exchange H pipe for the X. It would have taken some cutting, welding, etc. and so it was easier to do away with the H and side pipes.

Miss the side pipes at times; BUT, performance and handling gains are well worth it.

ahh, no I had heard different fitment issues. If you didn't have those then nvm. Looks fantastic and bet it handles amazing!

SD_Stang

Established Member
My installer and tech guru recommended both for different solutions.

I also have the whiteline bushing. Had it ordered before the CHE. I don't see any reason to get rid of the K Member Brace; It initially solved the 1-2 lockout, then we installed the Whiteline and the whole set up just feels and shifts great (along with the MGW). I don't want to change it at all. Similar to when you find a putter/driver/wedge that works, you just keep it in the bag.

Thanks for asking though.

Cool that sounds like a Sturdy setup. I'm saving up for the Super Street Kit for my new 2014. The Shifting is actually not as bad on the 14 as it was on the 11, clutch feel is better also. I'm just going to do the whiteline bushing when I add the Griggs Super Street kit and see how I like it.

Boss949

Established Member
ahh, no I had heard different fitment issues. If you didn't have those then nvm. Looks fantastic and bet it handles amazing!

That was the only thing my installer mentioned to me as an issue. He thinks that the first Mod any Mustang should have is the Griggs T/A. He's installed many of them. I'll ask him though about fitment issues and get back to you.

My car is completely different from stock.

Boss949

Established Member
Cool that sounds like a Sturdy setup. I'm saving up for the Super Street Kit for my new 2014. The Shifting is actually not as bad on the 14 as it was on the 11, clutch feel is better also. I'm just going to do the whiteline bushing when I add the Griggs Super Street kit and see how I like it.

Sounds like a good plan; post your pics and results.

The guy who does my installs and coaches me; tells me all the time that I should invest 10K in suspension mods over power add-ons.

Users who are viewing this thread