Grind from 1st to 2nd Gear, tranny???

rickymh

Established Member
01 cobra 90k miles

My car is begining to grind when i put in 1st, 2nd. Once the car warms up its perfect.

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
01 cobra 90k miles

My car is begining to grind when i put in 1st, 2nd. Once the car warms up its not that bad.

Does this mean my tranny is on its last leg?

If it's the original 3650 transmission it's pretty common and doesn't seem to mean anything in particular, it seems to be just a poorly designed POS. If you do a search on 3650 you'll find a whole bunch of threads from a few years ago where people complained about the grinding and such. Ford even offered a TSB on it having to do w/ fluid levels and some other parts that could be replaced.

I'd say if you're just now getting grinding at 90k you've been pretty lucky, mine has been grinding ever since I bought the car w/ 13k. And yes it's worse in cold weather, just after start, etc. You may want to look at changing the fluid if you've never done it, the Penzoil Synchromesh seems to be pretty popular these days. Also take note that the original fill level appears to have been to high as stated in the owners manual and the Ford TSB indicates about .5l less than the original level.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Change out the fluid and it should help especially in the cold. Just follow the updated specs from the TSB or Tremec.

rickymh

Established Member
thanks guys! New oil was put in, warm it up before driving and its all good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread