Grinded Second Bad, Now It's Hard To Shift...WTF??

norrin302

Established Member
So I'm getting on it a little from a stop... I run through first, and tried to hit second, but missed it, and grinded it a few times... I laid off, and coasted down a bit. When I went to put it back in to gear, it was tough to get in. Now it's tough to get in all gears, especially reverse. I tried pulling up on the clutch pedal to adjust the quadrant, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Could I maybe have stretched my clutch cable or something? I've had the Cobra for less than 2 weeks, so I'm really not sure what happened. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, but I'm prepared for the worst. Can anyone help me diagnose what happened? :shrug:

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
bent shift fork??

I did the same as you once and i feel second is a little mushy now too, but for me other gears are fine.

04cobra13

Established Member
i know what you can get for that, its called "Driver Mod",...j/k man, did you pull on the clutch till you heard a "click"?

norrin302

Established Member
I pulled on it pretty good, but I didn't want to break anything. Is there a way to check to see if I did in fact bend the shift fork? Forgive my noobness...

Last edited:

norrin302

Established Member
I don't know if it helps, but I don't hear any clicks or anything when I pull up on the clutch to adjust it.

TRBO VNM

I don't know if it helps, but I don't hear any clicks or anything when I pull up on the clutch to adjust it.

i believe the process to adjust the stock quadrant is in the manual. I think there is more to it than just pulling on it.

Allen2001GT

Established Member
if the quadrant is off when you pull your clutch pedal towards you it you will hear it adjust itself since is self-adjusting. correct me if i'm wrong, considering i've never worked on an 03 cobra, but i believe t-56 are the same as any other recent modular tranny, even from stock and it is self-adjusting.

norrin302

Established Member
Yeah I thought adjusting the clutch cable was as simple as just pulling up on the pedal, adn I should hear some clicks, but I hear nothing. :shrug:

gtmustang88

Established Member
And I should hear some clicks when I do that, right? What does it mean when I hear nothing, and can hardly get it in to gear?

Yea, if you don't hear any clicks, it is adjusted according to factory standards or the teeth on the plastic gear could be worn out. Considering you can't get it into all the gears, maybe your clutch is worn out.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
sometimes the factory stuff needs a little more "persuasion" than just lifting up on pedal

see the how to terminator section

there is a thread about how to adjust the factory mechanism, which requires you getting under dash and holding pawl while pushing quadrant. if teeth are not stripped you should be good to go with one or two clicks

(that is assuming your problem is too much slack in cable)

norrin302

Established Member
Boy, that would suck if the clutch was shot, since you just bought it!

Heh, tell me about it. And especially since the only bad thing I've done with it is the one grind when this happened. No powershifting or anything, since I JUST GOT IT! Let's hope it's something simple like a clutch cable...

norrin302

Established Member
Lesson learned: Always check out a new Cobra when you buy it for aftermarket parts, regardless of what the guy you bought it from tells you is in it. I crawled under the dash to manually adjust the quadrant, and noticed my quadrant was silver instead of white. Hmm... So I pop the hood, and what do I see? A nice silver firewall adjuster! So I adjust the slack out of the cable, and wouldn't you know it.... Shifts like butter! Lesson learned. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help, and especially thanks to Billy for talking me through it on the phone. You guys rock. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread