Grinding Noise in rear end- HELP

Open 24 Seven

Established Member
Hey guys, I am fairly new to this forum. I have a 99 cobra N/A. I just put new rims and tires on the car and as soon as I went for the first ride, an odd noise started coming from the right rear (almost like a grinding noise). I took it back home after going around the block, jacked it up and checked for any rubbing around the tire/rim, nothing.

After looking around for a bit, I thought the only other thing that it could be is the parking break getting held up somehow. I had a buddy pull the emergency break while I watched, everything seemed to be moving freely. Still not satisfied, I decided to remove the rear calipers and grease up the slides on both sides.

Well, needless to say, the noise is still there. Now I am wondering if there is an issue with the axle bearing having eliminated the breaks. Since I did not install the 4.10 rear end gears that are in there, I cannot say whether or not the bearings were changed along with the gears.

BTW, the tire size in rear is 285/35/18. The noise goes away when going over a bump or turning hard to the right, further making me think its a bearing in the rear.

Please let me know your thoughts and what my next trouble shooting steps should be. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

Open 24 Seven

Established Member
Ya, I thought a wheel bearing as well its just odd that when I had my other wheels on there was no noise what so ever. Maybe when I jacked it up it moved them just enough to knock it lose who knows. I am going to try and take a look at it again today if I have time after work. Sucks to have it sitting with this nice weather I want to be driving!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
If you have a 36mm socket handy, try tightening the axle nut. IIRC it's 250 lb-ft.

Open 24 Seven

Established Member
Can you put the old wheels on and see if the noise disappears? That will at least rule out the tires rubbing somewhere.

I wasnt able to get under it last night however, I will today. I am going to try the old tires and let you know if it goes away.

You sure the new wheel isn't rubbing the IRS bolt?

Before I take the new wheels off I am going to check clearance around that IRS bolt. It is lowered on h&r springs but from what I have been seeing online, clearance is not normally an issue with 18's and lowered IRS'

If you have a 36mm socket handy, try tightening the axle nut. IIRC it's 250 lb-ft.

I thought of this last night to before bed so I will definitely be checking on this too

I will let you know if any of these solutions work, thanks guys:beer:

Open 24 Seven

Established Member
Well, I found out what the problem was. I took off the new wheels and tires so that I could inspect the IRS bolt and make sure nothing was rubbing, it was ALL CLEAR. So I put on my old rims and tires and the noise stopped.

I looked really closely with an LED trouble light and found out that something was actually rubbing the inner lip of the rim. I couldn't see it before because I was using a florescent trouble light and the rims are anthracite in color. Since it was just a scrape, it was hardly view-able.

Now knowing it was the rim rubbing something, I started to poke around at all the parts....the PARKING BREAK CABLE was the problem. A simple zip tie fixed that and now its up and running again. Thanks for the help guys and I hope that if anybody else runs into this issue this forum helps them solve it!

Users who are viewing this thread