Ground cable

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Normal for ground cable on the battery to get significantly warm/hot. Have the heat exchanger fans/ pump running full time. If anyone can touch the negative cable after idling 15 mins or a decent drive around the block and let me know if the cable is warm.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
How long can you hold on to it? Corrosion can add resistance to the circuit, perhaps you have a dirty negative battery post?

I have a H/E with dual fans, and the pump is running all the time. I can check tomorrow / next time I drive it.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
My terminal gets corrosion a lot and i don't drive it much other than having a battery tender on it. Is this normal?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Mr. Freeze, how old is your battery? Might be time for a new one. 5 years is about all they should be used. These cars need a solid batter to operate well.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
It has about 3 years and it has like sharp pieces of fine hair like metal. I'm guessing its battery acid leaking maybe? its only on the positive terminal tho. I don't want to chance it knowing I'm going to be flashing a new tune for my new setup.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Not yet, but tomorrow looks dry. How hot does yours get, so I have something to judge it by.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It sounds like you need a larger gauge ground cable. The only reason it would get hot is if you were pulling more amps than it was rated for. You could also add an addition parallel ground cable to help handle the load. If the problem was a loose or corroded connector, the connector would be hotter than the cable and the cable would get cooler as you move away from the bad connector.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Ok, I finally got to drive my car 2hrs non stop with the heat exchanger dual fans on the whole time. My VMP tune runs my H/E pump all the time, which in turn runs my fans all the time. In the winter, I run with the fan fuses pulled.

The ground cable was NOT hot or warm in any significant or noticeable way. I could hold on to it with no sensation of it being warmer than the surrounding area, or even the shock tower itself. Hope this helps!

I have the C+R unit, so I'm not sure if you have that kit, but maybe there is a difference in wiring quality? Not sure, but thought I'd mention that. Oh and it was 95F outside. Love the H/E upgrade, I get MONSTER power all the time, unlike last summer! Welllllllllllllllllllll worth the upgrade. Should be 2nd after the shifter upgrade on these cars!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread