gt 500 oil?

tasdevl

Established Member
Beast,

I switched to Amsoil 10w40 about 1000 miles ago per your multiple recommendations on other threads - do I need to consider using a different weight for the winter months? My 2012 gt500 is a daily driver, so will be firing it up every morning, no matter what the temperature is here in Maryland (usually no lower than the teens, but who knows what each winter will bring).

thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast,

I switched to Amsoil 10w40 about 1000 miles ago per your multiple recommendations on other threads - do I need to consider using a different weight for the winter months? My 2012 gt500 is a daily driver, so will be firing it up every morning, no matter what the temperature is here in Maryland (usually no lower than the teens, but who knows what each winter will bring).

thanks!

No change required for the different times of the year, but if you do change the thermostat from the stock 192* to the 170*, you will need to decrease viscosity to Amsoil ATM 10W-30.

However, if you only casually drive the car in temps less than 32*F constantly, even with the stock 192* thermostat, you could still get away with Amsoil ATM 10W-30. It would be much less viscous in morning freezing temps.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast,
Thanks - stock thermostat, and driving it every day, so it looks like the 10w40 for me.

Amsoil 10W-40 is far more cold temperature forgiving than Ford's recommended Motorcraft 5W-50. From 32*F and up, it acts exactly like a 20W-50 until after it shears after the first 2,000 miles.

Svt Shelby

Established Member
FyI castrol 5w50 does not meet ford spec for the GT500 engine , I confirmed this by calling castrol USA.

Users who are viewing this thread