GT and Cobra exhaust sound

Red Rhino

Established Member
Whats up everyone.I wanted to ask you guys about new Mustang Gt's and 01 Cobra's exhaust sound.Are they similar sounding exhaust in stock form.I really love those GT's sound.I owned an 01 Cobra and also love the sound it makes but am wondering how it sounds outside the car.I hope am making since.My cobra is completely stock.I havent even taken the filter cover and wind blocker.I just wanted you guys view on this.Thanks for reading my post and hope to read some replys.

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Personally, I think there is a little sound difference between the two, only because of a 2V vs the 4V aspect. Could be just hearing things though. I've been told that my car sounds different than all of the other mustangs, but I would attribute that to the bigger displacement as well as it being a 4V modular motor.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Yeah I would say they sound the same as well, especially once you open up the exhaust. The Cobra may sound a little more lopier at idle with all the extra valves but when revved they sound similar I think.

I've been told by many that I have one of the most evil sounding stangs they've ever heard. The headswap gave me 10:5 compression and that made it really cackly and throaty. Combined with the normal modular motor sound, it's quite unique.:beer:

StangD281

Established Member
I've owned both, and the DOHC has a little bit of a higher pitch to it than the SOHC. Minimal difference, but I can still tell. :shrug:

CBudweiserC

Established Member
I think the SOHC's and DOHC's both have amazing tones to them, each one is different but both in good ways. Like blackgeetee said, I've had many complements about how awesome my car sounds. I love the way the 03's sound with magnaflow, really sweet!!! I have hooker long tubes, off road x-pipe and dynnomax mufflers and my car is really loud. I love it though, nothing like a healthy, throaty V-8 revved up!!!

Blackgeetee

Established Member
The thing which is so nice about the mod motors is they still have the deep bassiness the 5.0's had. However, they also have that multivalve gurgle. Those two sounds combined with high flow exhaust sound simply awesome!:beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
the thing that I like more about the 5.0's are that they had a more substantial sound. Maybe its just because ive never heard an obnoxiously loud exhaust on a 4.6. you could almost "feel" them idling when you stood by them. Does anyone know what im talking about?

-Homer

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Originally posted by CBudweiserC
I think the SOHC's and DOHC's both have amazing tones to them, each one is different but both in good ways. Like blackgeetee said, I've had many complements about how awesome my car sounds. I love the way the 03's sound with magnaflow, really sweet!!! I have hooker long tubes, off road x-pipe and dynnomax mufflers and my car is really loud. I love it though, nothing like a healthy, throaty V-8 revved up!!!
....Sounds like a sweet set up, I have a bassani X with a 2 chamber flowmaster cat back system. I too have gotten several compliments from the "throaty" sound. At idle it is a deeper sounding tone than my friends blown cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread