GT as a daily w/a baby?

JL-KA

Established Member
Does anyone use their GT as a daily driver with a baby?
How difficult is it to get the baby seat in and out?
What have you found is the best way? Leave the seat in and just take the kid out or strap the kid in the seat before you put it in the car?
I've got a 4 door right now and I'm wondering how practical a 2 door would be with a 1yr old and most likely another coming in a couple years.

The shitty thing is that there are no 4 or 5 door V8 cars that have a manual trans in the 25-30 range. If the Charger RT had a manual I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I love SRT8 Cherokees but 10mpg isn't an option. Absolute dream would be a CTSV Sport Wagon but that's double my budget lol.

We do still have my wife's G8 but we tend to take my car 80% of the time.

So is it livable?

jonathan6486

Established Member
if you have the rear facing seat the person in the passenger seat is going to be riding the dash it's not that comfortable. after you get past the rear seat to front facing its not bad.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I'm about to be doing it. My wife was preggo and told me to buy a new mustang. I expressed my concern. She told me that really, I won't be totin the baby alot. Well be in her cx9, and I I have to go with the kiddo, itll be just me. Made sense so I did what any loving husband would do and bought one. Couldn't let my pregnant wife down, right?

brady_f

Established Member
My '11 is a daily with an infant rear facing seat. The passenger is without a doubt riding on the dash with the seat in, but it's definitely doable.

kirbyg16

Established Member
Go look at the slimmest but safest seats you can find. Our child is now in a front facing seat and it is not so bad. MUCH better than the 2002 mustang we had as far as room. Our daughter is 2 and I will see if I can get some picks of the positioning. My wife is 5'7 and she is pretty comfortable in the passenger seat. However, I'm 6'2 and there is almost no way I can sit in the passenger seat. Our other car is an 1999 Camaro which is even more of a pain in the ass lol.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I do it. I have a Bridex Marathon 70 and it fits great (rear facing). The person in the passenger seat is snug, but they fit. My wife can ride over there and she's 5' 11", although I wouldn't stick her there for a long trip.

I found the easiest way to do it is to leave the seat in, and install/remove the kid. You'll have to climb in and out with them which is a bit of a hassle, but it's not bad.

Last edited:

cmsnake

Established Member
I had the same concern. I have a 3 year old and traded my manual 545i in for my 2011. She fits fine behind my seat facing forward. Im about 5'10''-5'11'' and am comfortable with her behind me. Its actually not that bad going from a 4 door to a 2 door coupe. The fact that the frint seats fold forward so easy and I barely have to bend over to put her in her carseat helps a ton. Its almost just as east as the 4 door, I was very surprised.

FYI, I got an automatic and have ZERO regrets. I was close minded like you with the manual stuff, but you are really missing out if you completely shut your mind off to the new automatic. Especially if you will be daily driving it with a young child. Just saying. This isnt your daddys automatic GT of yesterday...

5.0jake

Established Member
Works fine for my 3 year old and with a passenger .but I don't know about a rear facing seat for an infant. You would probably have to keep the front seat all the way up and no passenger. I wouldn't want want this as a primary family car (we have a Rav4 for that)...

RebeccaS

Established Member
We've done it. Perhaps you've seen videos of my car at the strip with the baby seats in it? :p

Holden was still in a rear facing infant seat when we bought the 2011. He sat behind me on the driver's side, since I'm itty-bitty (5'3" and 95lbs, when not knocked up). Our older son, Carter who was 2.5 at the time sat behind Justin (who claims he is 6'1" but is actually 6'2") in a forward facing seat. I have not found a convertible seat that works rear facing in the Mustang, so now that Holden has outgrown the infant seat, he sits forward facing in a convertible seat. He's still rear facing in our other vehicles, as it is safer. We've swapped sides, Carter is on my side, since he is taller and Holden is on Justin's side.

For what it is worth, my 2006 Mustang was my daily driver until Carter was 2, and he and I went everywhere in that car. There isn't a significant difference between the '06 and the '11, as far as ease of use.

It is totally doable, Justin doesn't even mind getting them in now that it is getting uncomfortable for me to get in the back, and neither boy complains!

SicShelby09

Banned
I have a front facing and rear facing in my 11 GT. Its a tight fit, and the rear facing one will only fit behind the passenger seat because otherwise I couldnt drive with it behind me. But the front facing one behind me with my 20 month old girl in it, she can kick the back of my seat and it drives me crazy. Its almost not possible to do comfortably, but it can be done in a pinch of you need to take everyone out. I DO NOT recommend it though. And Im not very tall, just bearly 6'.

JL-KA

Established Member
If owning a 2011+ mustang gt is a "dream"...... Priorities, you got em!

Not sure what you mean by that but my first car was an 84 6cyl, 2nd was a 96 GT that I only had for 17 days. I've been out of a Mustang for 6 years and REALLY wanting to get back into one.

RebeccaS

Established Member
anyone have a picture?

A forward facing convertible seat and a rear facing infant seat:
1zmzdkk.jpg

If you pause at 0:20 you can see two forward facing convertible seats:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LI816xU7o"]YouTube - ‪Rebecca Starkey runs 10.000 @ 138 in VMP Roushcharged 2011 5.0L Mustang GT‬‏[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread