GT Crank Problems?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Did anyone here of any crank problems with the GT? I was talking with a guy today who said something about the GT's having some sort of a crank problem. I don't think he had any idea of what he was talking about, but I thought I would ask and set the record strait. Thanx

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Did anyone here of any crank problems with the GT? I was talking with a guy today who said something about the GT's having some sort of a crank problem. I don't think he had any idea of what he was talking about, but I thought I would ask and set the record strait. Thanx
I'd be surprised to hear of anything like that. What I have read is that during the 500 hour test that the GT engine had to endure from Ford (which BTW is the same endurance test that all Ford engines have to pass) the first GT prototype engine did not last due to a failure of the crankshaft. It was a case of the supercharger belt placing too much strain on the crankshaft snout, and it cracked halfway through the 500 hour test.

However, the article also stated that the crankshaft was then beefed up in critical areas, and on the second attempt, the crankshaft as well as the enitre engine passed then 500 hour run with flying colors (which BTW is unuasual for any Ford engine to pass on only the second attempt from what I've heard).So perhaps this guy who you spoke to had heard something about that, and has confused it with that of the current state of the GT engine.

Users who are viewing this thread