GT Performance Pack Gauges to Ecoboost boost gauge?

2015DIBGT

Benjamin Martens
Established Member
On the Ecoboost model there is an option for the Ecoboost Performance Pack which includes a boost, not just vacuum, gauge.

Has anyone tried buying an Ecoboost Gauge and putting it in their GT vacuum gauge location and actually getting a reading?

The ECU reads vacuum and boost and the virtual display shows positive and negative pressure.
Im just wondering for future since it won’t be long before there are a lot more FI 2015’s out there and this would be a nice “factory look” since it is factory.

Most new cars don't have a vacuum line ran into the the passenger compartment to a boost gauge which leads me to believe that the ECU does all the calculations and displaying.

I guess my question is more or less has anyone done this and is it plug and play?

Speed Junky

Established Member
HTML:
Only my opinion, **disclaimer**I have not tried this- you will probably need the ecoboost gauge sending unit and possibly a computer re-flash to be able to translate the signal from the new sending unit. Nobody will know till someone tries. Most electrical gauges use a 0-5vdc source, so this is what I would think:
For instance, say the PP gauge at 0.5vdc reads 24in/hg and 4.5vdc reads 0in/hg and you just swapped the gauge assembly (not the sending unit as well) then that same signal at 0.5vdc would read around 12in/hg and 4.5vdc would read 10psi. Hopefully this helps your understanding.

Last edited:

2015DIBGT

Benjamin Martens
Established Member
HTML:
Only my opinion, **disclaimer**I have not tried this- you will probably need the ecoboost gauge sending unit and possibly a computer re-flash to be able to translate the signal from the new sending unit. Nobody will know till someone tries. Most electrical gauges use a 0-5vdc source, so this is what I would think:
For instance, say the PP gauge at 0.5vdc reads 24in/hg and 4.5vdc reads 0in/hg and you just swapped the gauge assembly (not the sending unit as well) then that same signal at 0.5vdc would read around 12in/hg and 4.5vdc would read 10psi. Hopefully this helps your understanding.
If im understanding you correctly, you are saying that changing to the Ecoboost sending unit and Ecoboost gauge instead of the PP gauge, IN THEORY, we should see it work like factory?

This is good news if that's ALL it may take. Adding some sort of FI would mean I'd have to be reflashed anyways so this doesn't seem like a huge speedbump.

Thanks!

Speed Junky

Established Member
In theory- yes that would work on a simply designed circuit. BUT it all depends on if that signal gets changed in the computer or another part of the circuit.

Dadz500

Established Member
I have a feeling Roush and/or Ford Performance will be coming out with one shortly. Roush is known for putting the Gauge in for Boost. So my guess is they will make a kit for non PP cars so you can use the center vent and have the boost there or a replacement unit for people who put a blower on a car with PP.

I have always run boost gauges on all my Mustangs and I always think after the fact why I did it. When you are trying to get into big boost you really should not be taking your eyes off the road to see how many pounds you are pushing.

I am hopeful that they will soon have Head up Display in the new Mustang. If you look at the dash there is already a hole there with a cover over it, just like GM did/does with the Corvette if you didn't get HUD. If they do come out with it for 2016, I am certain someone will figure out a way to make a harness for it and have it function as stock and if they did that, that is where you would want your boost gauge to be so you can see it without taking your eyes off the road.

Regardless, I believe, that some time within the next 90-120 days you will be able to buy a boost gauge to either replace the stock PP gauge or add the boost to the center vent on the non PP cars (all Convertibles!!!! Big suck for the Vert owners like me).

2015DIBGT

Benjamin Martens
Established Member
Its a direct swap!

CJ Pony Parts has a video.

[video=youtube;Pf5427RiRmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5427RiRmU[/video]

Anyone found a source for the center trim piece that holds these gauges at a reasonable price? Local dealer wanted $1100 for it! I'm assuming it comes with the gauges and AC vents for that price.

mustangdanimal

Anyone found a source for the center trim piece that holds these gauges at a reasonable price? Local dealer wanted $1100 for it! I'm assuming it comes with the gauges and AC vents for that price.

I have one on eBay for sale. Didn't want to do the swap. Has some minor scratches as it was a line reject, but nothing that wouldn't still look amazing. I was going to wrap it anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301755246201?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread