GT pumps or BAP / Jury is still out

DHFB

Established Member
I have made my choice and am going with GT pumps and Flashed FPDM for my new Whipple at 17 psi. I still want to know if anyone has had problems with either mod that should be known for folks making a decision. BAP failed your stock pump... didn't change out FPDM and burner up the driver??? Anything of interest to someone doing this mod??? I called around and it seemed that everyone i talked to had a 100% completely different opinion on reliability but all agreed the GT pumps are the way to go. Scary thing was most of them did not reccoemnd FPDM upgrade... this could be very bad... FPDM burns up...WOT...LEAN LIKE A MOFO = BOOM!!!

Fuerza

Established Member
My tuner recommends GT fuel pumps and a dual FPDM harness. I've got GT pumps already and I will be buying the dual FPDM harness soon.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
GT Pumps for a year with Whipple set on 17psi, NO FPDM upgrade and the car runs great. Show me one motor that has gone due to running lean because of no FPDM upgrade.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
newbreed77 said:
GT Pumps for a year with Whipple set on 17psi, NO FPDM upgrade and the car runs great. Show me one motor that has gone due to running lean because of no FPDM upgrade.

Interesting, I was wondering about that, seems some can get away without modifying the FPDM and some can't.

DHFB

Established Member
My understanding is that the GT pumps can overload the driver by more than 20% at full load amperage. Do you know how many LPH your flowing from the pump and if they are rocking at full speed or partial speed? i just so happen to be a centrifugal pump expert and designer and think I figured out the deal. The driver is actually actuating the speed of the pump to drive fuel demand from the ECU. The GT pump flows X liters per hour more than the standard fuel pump at the same relative efficiency = more power required to drive the pump. The flashed FPDM prepares the circuit to transfer the relative amount of power required to the pump via the Fuel Pump Driver module ergo: If you hit WOT (depending on the amount of fuel you can pull) and exceed to the pumps mass capacity your FPDM will fail.. not the pump.. Butr when the driver fails the circuit closes, the pump shuts down, and theoretically your car should just pe combusting air / no fuel and instant piston hole. My theory now.. still looking into it.

droptop351

HP maniac
Established Member
doing dual gt pumps without upgraded fpdm or 2 fpdms is recipe for possible disaster. At lower hp lvl's they wont pull enough amps to overload the fpdm but when you start to tax the pumps then it has the possibility to overload the fpdm especially if you havent done a wiring upgrade.

Dual gt pumps and dual fpdm's is the way to go. You can get a 2nd fpdm for $70 new from steve at tousley ford or you can get one from junkyard for free-50bucks.

The harness are super easy to make and will cost you less than 100 bucks to get all the wiring and relays to make them yourself and all the information to make them is on the internet.

so the better question is why wouldnt you avoid the problem all together when its a relatively cheap fix considering the price of other things for terminators

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I think there's a reason that the Ford engineers ran dual FPDM's on their GT setups. Now with two of them, the jury is still out on whether you need to upgrade the capacity of the FPDM's. If you're only running one FPDM, I think it's common sense that you should upgrade it's capacity.

That being said, the dual Cobra fuel pumps with BAP and wire upgrade has been EXTREMELY successful for a ton of aggressive Terminator setups over the past 4 years and the speculated risk of thermal lockdown has never been reported to my knowledge. Those that say it's a band-aid setup only have to look at the empirical results of excellent performance with a non-existent failure history.

Although it looks like you've already made your decision, either setup should/would work effectively up to 625+ RWHP in my opinion, but if your plans are calling for bigger power, the dual GT's w/ dual FPDM's would be the way I'd approach it.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I am getting ready to upgrade to GT pumps with the pprv delete. I am still toying with the idea of a modified fpdm or the dual setup.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
droptop351 said:
doing dual gt pumps without upgraded fpdm or 2 fpdms is recipe for possible disaster. At lower hp lvl's they wont pull enough amps to overload the fpdm but when you start to tax the pumps then it has the possibility to overload the fpdm especially if you havent done a wiring upgrade.

Dual gt pumps and dual fpdm's is the way to go. You can get a 2nd fpdm for $70 new from steve at tousley ford or you can get one from junkyard for free-50bucks.

The harness are super easy to make and will cost you less than 100 bucks to get all the wiring and relays to make them yourself and all the information to make them is on the internet.

so the better question is why wouldnt you avoid the problem all together when its a relatively cheap fix considering the price of other things for terminators

It shouldn't be that hard to make the dual wire harness, I'm going to check around the net and see if I can find some sort of write-up on it and if so I'll post it, if you can build it yourself why spend way extra more. Just my .02

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I already have a set of GT pumps and modded FPDM sitting in my garage waiting for install. I am now contemplating what hoses I'm going to use. I'm trying to find a supplier for the stock type, plastic corrugated hose to avoid the possibility of rotting or kinking rubber.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
I already have a set of GT pumps and modded FPDM sitting in my garage waiting for install. I am now contemplating what hoses I'm going to use. I'm trying to find a supplier for the stock type, plastic corrugated hose to avoid the possibility of rotting or kinking rubber.

If you do find it let everyone know. :thumbsup:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
my BAP may have fried my stock pumps, the car is at the stealership right now. if that is the case, i will go with GT pumps and dual FPDM's. lethal makes a wiring harness for $259 that comes with an FPDM and all the wiring necessary to plug and play both FPDM's into the stock wiring system. it also comes with upgraded 10 guage power wires to the pumps. no modding of the FPDM necessary, and no concern of the BAP overheating the fuel, or frying the stock pumps.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
PistolWhip said:

i just upgraded the hoses in my fuel tank with the gates hoses. they are designed to be submersed in fuel. as far as the kinking goes, i was concerned about this, so at the sharpest bend in the hosing, i placed an extra fuel hose clamp, and didn't tighten it. the function of this hose clamp is to keep the hosing round, and not oval, which would slightly kink it--

DHFB

Established Member
I saw the lethal kit too... Wondering why Lethal is the only distributor offering this since it seems to be a much neccesary upgrade going to dual GT pumps. Talked to a few places that sell the pumps and they are clueless... kind of scary huh. Fuel is probably the single most important thing to get right when making power to avoid costly mistakes.

Fuerza

Established Member
DHFB said:
I saw the lethal kit too... Wondering why Lethal is the only distributor offering this since it seems to be a much neccesary upgrade going to dual GT pumps. Talked to a few places that sell the pumps and they are clueless... kind of scary huh. Fuel is probably the single most important thing to get right when making power to avoid costly mistakes.

There were a couple of developers working on kits. Lethal beat them all to production/sells. DWB performance makes a dual harness. I also think RWTD had a harness in production but somthing fell through. There will be other developers, I was looking at a diagram of the setup and believe it is possible to build your own with the proper know how.

Fuerza

Established Member

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
AdrianG said:

their kit has rubber hosing. when you bend the hose 180 degrees over a 6 inch segment of hose (there are 2 of these), the hose tends to want to kink at the bend. i wish i had taken pics of my setup, with the fuel line clamps on the bends to keep the hose round and 'un-kinked'. i may be yanking out some dead fuel pumps this week, and i'll take pics if i do.

Users who are viewing this thread