GT vs. Viper in this month Motor Trend.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Aaron_'01, He isn't. What he's saying is that the team developing the next Lightning had created an engine with more power than the FordGT team had (to that point) developed. So, the GT team went back to work to make more hp/tq for their engine. And that's the way things ought to be done (internal competition = better engines for consumers).

94RedCobra

Established Member
From what i've heard, MotorTrend tested the Viper and GT (quarter mile) on different days. Had they been tested under identical circumstances, the results would probably be different. I'll admit this is hearsay.

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by TrueBlue'01GT
Interesting comparo...

GT....1/4 11.78, 60-0 111ft., as tested price $153,000
Viper 1/4 11.77, 60-0 97ft.,...as tested price $84,795

GT trap speed was faster 124.31 vs. 123.63.

A little dissapointed in the GT, it's a little more refined than the Dodge but in the 1/4 it's a drivers race. For the $$$ I thought it would be a slam dunk for the GT. I'm sure on a road course it is better but it should be for twice the price. IMO not worth the price compared to the Dodge but if the road course numbers are great it's a bargain compared to Italian exotics.

Where is the Motor Trend article. Links?

I swear mags do this just to create contraversy. Otherwise, what fun would it be?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
Aaron_'01, He isn't. What he's saying is that the team developing the next Lightning had created an engine with more power than the FordGT team had (to that point) developed. So, the GT team went back to work to make more hp/tq for their engine. And that's the way things ought to be done (internal competition = better engines for consumers).

What he said, sorry should have specified, I was indeed referring to the next gen/concept L. Both are blown 4v 5.4 monsters.

fordification

Established Member
Originally posted by Aaron_01
I thought the next gen L was going to be a 3V like the next gen cobra? I was hoping it would be a 4V though...

I think the 3v is standard in the F-truck now.

JoeJoe

Established Member
A couple of thoughts.....if you have followed the design process of the GT then you'd know that it doesn't compare to the Viper in build quality....its way above....comparable to Ferrari.....skeptics will say yeah right.....

Second. the GT has to be one of the best looking cars ever made....in my opinion....and the new viper is pretty dull....

I'm a Viper fan, but the GT is just so much better. Besides I think they should have compared it to the Z06. Vipers aren't competing with the Vettes very well anymore...if you watched the SCCA run offs at all....

Joe

:beer:

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by JoeJoe
A couple of thoughts.....if you have followed the design process of the GT then you'd know that it doesn't compare to the Viper in build quality....its way above....comparable to Ferrari.....skeptics will say yeah right.....

Second. the GT has to be one of the best looking cars ever made....in my opinion....and the new viper is pretty dull....

I'm a Viper fan, but the GT is just so much better. Besides I think they should have compared it to the Z06. Vipers aren't competing with the Vettes very well anymore...if you watched the SCCA run offs at all....

Joe

:beer:

I totally agree with eerything you said

fordification

Established Member
Motor Trend is usually a good source of reliable information, and looking at how closely the Viper matches the GT, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. By those numbers, it does look like 500hp is an accurate number for the GT.

The Viper also has an amazing braking system. 100-0 in 97ft over the GT's 107ft?

Slalom mph is very close with the GT taking the edge by maybe 1-2 mph difference.

A lighter car would have made the GT a much greater force to be reckoned with, but then the price gets astronomical with the use of composite material.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by fordification
Motor Trend is usually a good source of reliable information, and looking at how closely the Viper matches the GT, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. By those numbers, it does look like 500hp is an accurate number for the GT.

The Viper also has an amazing braking system. 100-0 in 97ft over the GT's 107ft?

Slalom mph is very close with the GT taking the edge by maybe 1-2 mph difference.

A lighter car would have made the GT a much greater force to be reckoned with, but then the price gets astronomical with the use of composite material.

They should have built more of em, then they could use carbon fiber/composit material and charge the same ammount. For 150 grand I dont see why they couldnt have thrown Carbon Fiber into the mix. With the Ford GT being panned against cars like the Murcielago, you could carbon fiber the Ford GT and still end up paying over 100 grand less than the Murci costs.

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Frankly, I've come to exactly the opposite opinion of Motor Trend sourced information. Did they test the cars on the same day at the same location? Was the GT, which they tested, the production final, or was it a developmental vehicle? As I've written before, Motor Trend is suitable for lining the trash or a birdcage and not much more. Certainly, I'd not bet the house on what MT prints. It prints articles to fill pages and sell magazines. If ever the articles are accurate, that is just coincidential. It is an embarrassment; I'm ashamed that it's an American publication.

Aaron_01

Banned
I dont know about the motor trend. But I have 3 R&Ts with the GT. One was way back in the early summer with a preproduction model that was still using the Terminator motor. One was a preproduction model built for Bill Ford, and the last is a production model

svt408

Established Member
My 02 cents. More than likely if you can pay for a Viper then you could afford a GT. So gimme the GT and my 79 dollar pulley and it will pretty much kill anything being made. I think we forget how easy it is with "our stuff" to make sick power.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
I finally saw that MT article, but I did not read much of it. Interestingly enough, MT only showed a comparison of the GT and Viper for the quarter mile. Does anybody know just why would MT stop with a quarter mile comparison (in-so-far as speed performance is concerned)? As other publications did a more complete comparison of the two cars, this really makes me wonder why MT had such a limited comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread