gt350 base suspension technology description

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The "perfect" GT350 for me is the R with electronics package plus the back seat kit from Ford Performance. I'm not rich enough to get a $67,000 plus <$10,000 ADM Mustang though. Haha!

Puluke

Established Member
DSG2003SVT, read your PM and followed the links. Nice job man! I spent 30 minutes explainig my previous performance car history, went to post and it disappeared, crap! Another time, I can't thank you enough for piecing it together. I will follow the links as they develop. I now believe that a base car would more then satisfy my need to replace my Boss. Now back to the thread.

Last edited:

Puluke

Established Member
blkO2edge

My Canadian brother, who pays an additional 37% exchange rate. Can't blame you for waiting a few years for a used or otherwise. About the roads in my home province,(state for our American friends), like your's are any better! Thats what seat belts are for, keeps your mellon from denting the ceiling. Haha.

I wish Ford gave more options other then the only available two. The price in Canada is no bargain with the approximately 37% exchange rate. That is a significant reason for a base only. BTW I want a great suspension to match this terrific drive train. With help from DSG2003SVT I believe the base will suffice and provide me with a better then Boss handling experience.

At 5'6 and and 150 lbs the Recaros are a dream. (I fit a Gen 5 Camaro very well. LOL) this is another reason the base works for me. Love Recaros!

Please, any base owners, jump on this thread.

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
Whoever thought up the option packaging was on something. The optioning should be more customizable on this car. Plus the tech pack for $7500 seems a little out there, especially with all the sound system complaints.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Any options that they can add on will make them more money.

I'm going to PM you some links to threads started by base package owners from another forum. I'd post them here, but sometimes that's frowned upon. I'll have them to you before the end of the day.

One of them was a 2015 GTPP owner, and one of them was a Boss owner. So, you should be able to gauge pretty well what you're looking for by their thoughts.
When I used to sell cars, any added factory options didn't add up any extra $$ for the dealer/salesperson.

There was definitely incentive ($$) to push dealer added options though.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
When I used to sell cars, any added factory options didn't add up any extra $$ for the dealer/salesperson.

There was definitely incentive ($$) to push dealer added options though.

That seems weird. You'd think that the more expensive the car, the higher the profit. Maybe they're just worried that the base package won't be in enough demand then.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The base GT350 struts and shocks are Bilsteins. They are apparently much better than the GTPP dampers. As I understand it from the limited information out there, the base model is still a much more capable handler than the 2015 GTPP. It has a significantly stiffer suspension setup with much better tires and brakes to boot.

The Magneride system is probably going to help around the track, but I'm thinking it may be there mainly to give drivers multiple levels of comfort and performance. The Magneride equipped cars have stiffer front springs also. This may be because the multiple levels of tuning allow for stiffer springs while maintaining comfort levels. My only thought about that is that there seem to be some complaints about under steer on the Magneride equipped GT350 (non-R) reviews. The stiffer front springs may be to blame for that, at least partially. It makes me wonder if the base model GT350 suspension may under steer less.

I recall reading something about the MPSS's on this car and how they were designed like the tires on the M5. They give up some dry weather performance in the form of minor initial understeer for some better wet weather performance.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
That seems weird. You'd think that the more expensive the car, the higher the profit. Maybe they're just worried that the base package won't be in enough demand then.

i also work in the car business, there is very little profit in new cars nowadays. outside of ADMS which i despise there is maybe 200-500 in profit on any new car.

bretlasalle

Established Member
I own a 2013 Boss 302 (bone stock) and just took delivery of my 2016 BASE GT350. I can not speak formally about the suspension as I have not been able to find exactly what a Base GT350 has. What I can say is that the Shelby feels nothing like the Boss 302 suspension. I've only put 300 miles on it, but it handles much better than the Boss 302 (in all categories). The car is much less harsh (even in the Boss' softest settings), handles much flatter. To me, the GT350 feels more like the C6 vette than the Boss 302. Feel free to ask me any direct questions re: the GT350 vs. Boss 302.

65sohc

Established Member
I own a 2013 Boss 302 (bone stock) and just took delivery of my 2016 BASE GT350. I can not speak formally about the suspension as I have not been able to find exactly what a Base GT350 has. What I can say is that the Shelby feels nothing like the Boss 302 suspension. I've only put 300 miles on it, but it handles much better than the Boss 302 (in all categories). The car is much less harsh (even in the Boss' softest settings), handles much flatter. To me, the GT350 feels more like the C6 vette than the Boss 302. Feel free to ask me any direct questions re: the GT350 vs. Boss 302.

Would you comment on the difference in throttle response and acceleration in normal city traffic situations between the two cars. The guy in the Motor Trend video said there was "no one home" below 3500 rpm while another tester said it felt like a 2 liter at low speeds.

Puluke

Established Member
bretlassalie, firstly congrats on the gt350. Welcome to this thread, been waiting for guys like you who know from experience the differences between the Boss and the base gt350. Granted you are in the break in period, so I'm certain your experience with performance of the gt350 will be detuned and will reflect in your response

1/ What made you settle on the base gt350 and were you able to test drive one before placing the order? If yes did you drive one with Mag ride? Are you able to comment on the difference between the base and mag ride suspension differences?

2/ Are you able to select shock settings, or are you only able to adjust stability and ABS?

3/ Do you lose low end torque off the line compared to the boss?

4/ I uncapped my side exhaust on the boss and loved it, but a little drone at legal cruising speeds. Would you say the exhaust note is on parr, louder or quieter? Is the base gt350 exhaust adjustability noticeable?

5/ I found the boss, due to the solid axle could wheel hop in bumpy aggressive corners, or hitting a bump on launch? Is wheel hop subdued in the IRS GT350.

6/ How do you find pitch or nose dive on acceleration and braking?

7/ Having sat in a track pack car of which the interior is virtually identical to the base, would you say like me the quality is significantly improved over the boss?

Please elaborate on your driving experiences in the gt350 and throw in some comparison between it and the boss. I miss the rawness of the boss, I'm hoping the gt350 base can return this to me.

Thanks and again congratulations!
Puluke

Puluke

Established Member
bretlassalie, if you read through the first page of the blog, you will find what I believe to be about all their is for info on the base gt350 suspension. We are now relying on base gt350 owners to post their experiences.

Puluke

bretlasalle

Established Member
Would you comment on the difference in throttle response and acceleration in normal city traffic situations between the two cars. The guy in the Motor Trend video said there was "no one home" below 3500 rpm while another tester said it felt like a 2 liter at low speeds.

I think it is absolutely insane to say that the Shelby feels like a 2 liter at any speed/rpm!!! It's also exaggerating to say that no one is home below 3500. The better way to put it, is that you simply drive the Shelby differently than the Boss. The Boss certainly feels like it has more throttle response in normal city traffic conditions (with the red key, I don't remember what the black key feels like haha). I would also say that the Boss is more fun to throw around in city conditions, on ramps are much more fun in the Shelby. The Shelby also builds speed in a very addicting way, I've "accidentally" deserved very serious tickets already just getting on the freeway - third gear building rpms getting ready to shift into fourth... my advice is to NOT tell your wife how fast you were just going. In short, the Boss has better throttle response in city conditions. Having said that, both the Boss and the Shelby are brilliant - you will have the same smile in both cars.

bretlasalle

Established Member
bretlassalie, firstly congrats on the gt350. Welcome to this thread, been waiting for guys like you who know from experience the differences between the Boss and the base gt350. Granted you are in the break in period, so I'm certain your experience with performance of the gt350 will be detuned and will reflect in your response

I am in break in period - all of my responses to any post should be taken with a grain of salt!

1/ What made you settle on the base gt350 and were you able to test drive one before placing the order? If yes did you drive one with Mag ride? Are you able to comment on the difference between the base and mag ride suspension differences?

I was not able to test drive the car, I was invited to the track tour but Laguna Seca filled up before I was able to log in. I decided on the base GT350 because I knew I wanted the Recaro seats and I also didn't mind daily driving the Boss 302 when I first got it. I bet the farm that the suspension would be better than the Boss (it is) in base form. I will never track this car and just couldn't justify the additional $ for MagnerRide. I was also willing to bet that my car wouldn't be worth $6500 less than a track pack car when I sell it... Time will tell on that one. I paid a $5k adm, which I thought was fair as I was able to order the car exactly how I wanted it. I guess, because I can afford any Shelby I wanted including the R, it helped to think clearly on what was important to me. The Base car is absolutely worth the $51k msrp, I am not sure that the track pack is worth $58k for my needs.

2/ Are you able to select shock settings, or are you only able to adjust stability and ABS?

I am able to adjust all driving modes, normal, sport, weather, track, drag - I can also adjust steering modes

3/ Do you lose low end torque off the line compared to the boss?

Yes, however the Shelby builds speed so quickly that I am positive the GT350 would start to take it north of 50mph and certainly from a roll

4/ I uncapped my side exhaust on the boss and loved it, but a little drone at legal cruising speeds. Would you say the exhaust note is on parr, louder or quieter? Is the base gt350 exhaust adjustability noticeable?

I took out the plate completely on my Boss too, the Shelby is quieter. It's still loud and has a great sound, but just not Boss loud! I am pretty sure that the exhaust is the same for base/tech/track - it's the R that is different. Yes, the exhaust adjustability is absolutely noticeable.

5/ I found the boss, due to the solid axle could wheel hop in bumpy aggressive corners, or hitting a bump on launch? Is wheel hop subdued in the IRS GT350.

What wheel hop??? Kidding, it's night and day. I took the Shelby up Mount Diablo in 35degree temps, something I wouldn't dream of doing in the Boss and I couldn't find a way to upset the chassis. I will be able to give a better review after break in and when warmer temps come, but the Shelby feels much around the bumpy corners. I have yet to launch the Shelby aggressively.

6/ How do you find pitch or nose dive on acceleration and braking?

It's just too early for me to give you a real review on this.

7/ Having sat in a track pack car of which the interior is virtually identical to the base, would you say like me the quality is significantly improved over the boss?

I would say that it is improved, though significantly is not a word I would use. It's outdated already and because the Boss felt more like a muscle car from the 60's to me I forgave it for the interior. The Shelby doesn't have that muscle car feel, so it's a bit tougher to explain the BS interior. Having said that, I really do not have a problem with the Shelby's interior. I came from a $58k Lincoln MKZ Black Label with an amazing interior, so I know Ford can make a great interior or a great motor and chassis for under $60k... but you can't have 'em both!

Please elaborate on your driving experiences in the gt350 and throw in some comparison between it and the boss. I miss the rawness of the boss, I'm hoping the gt350 base can return this to me.

You are not going to get the rawness in the Shelby, I had an open mind and love the GT350 - but I got in and immediately reminded myself that the Boss was just a special car

Thanks and again congratulations!
Puluke

My answers are above, underlined. Hope that my responses help.

Puluke

Established Member
bretlassale, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. You have provided us with some significant details to digest and use as a comparison. Sorry it's raining and the gt350 is garaged. My cars are stuck in storage until April due to Canadian winter conditions. The base suspension is proving to be all that is required for simply blasting around town in a unique very cool car!

65sohc

Established Member
Thanks for the great synopsis. As far as throttle response vis a vis the Boss, I plan to get a Flex Fuel tune which appears to fatten up the bottom end significantly. This is especially germane to those of us saddled with 91 octane premium since the 526 bhp rating was achieved on 93.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Thanks for the great synopsis. As far as throttle response vis a vis the Boss, I plan to get a Flex Fuel tune which appears to fatten up the bottom end significantly. This is especially germane to those of us saddled with 91 octane premium since the 526 bhp rating was achieved on 93.

I'll be adding a FF tune to mine before anything else. I may stop there, I may not, but gaining 40whp and broadening the torque curve on nothing but an E85 tune is just too good to pass up.

Users who are viewing this thread