GT350 steering wheel options

ANGREY

Established Member
All,

I've grown tired of my alcantara steering wheel.

The material is "matted" or slicked down and without gloves, I don't feel like I've got a good purchase on the wheel.

Option 1. I can remove the wheel and "treat" or wash it. Have any of you guys done this? Does the material "recover" or perk up after washing it? What did you wash and recondition it with? Few hours with the car being undrivable.

Option 2. Send it off to Dallassteeringwheel. It's $379 to re-wrap in all leather. $30 to add a colored 12 o'clock index stripe. $50 for perforated leather. $75 for additional padding or underlayment to make it larger/thicker (which would be preferable at the top section). Takes about 4-5 days after receipt and I'd have to ship him the wheel and get it back. All in all about 2 weeks with the car being undrivable.

Option 3. Pay $800 for a BPP wheel in leather. Try to sell the old wheel for $100 and make the final cost $700 out the door. No down time other than the removal/install.

Option 4. Pay $370 or $320 for a part carbon fiber part leather wheel from one of the supply houses. The lower option has a single section of the carbon fiber looking poly at the top, the higher option has 3 sections top and a couple at bottom. Does anyone have feedback with this? Is the poly faux carbon fiber section even more slippery than a matted won alcantara wheel?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
All,

I've grown tired of my alcantara steering wheel.

The material is "matted" or slicked down and without gloves, I don't feel like I've got a good purchase on the wheel.

Option 1. I can remove the wheel and "treat" or wash it. Have any of you guys done this? Does the material "recover" or perk up after washing it? What did you wash and recondition it with? Few hours with the car being undrivable.

Option 2. Send it off to Dallassteeringwheel. It's $379 to re-wrap in all leather. $30 to add a colored 12 o'clock index stripe. $50 for perforated leather. $75 for additional padding or underlayment to make it larger/thicker (which would be preferable at the top section). Takes about 4-5 days after receipt and I'd have to ship him the wheel and get it back. All in all about 2 weeks with the car being undrivable.

Option 3. Pay $800 for a BPP wheel in leather. Try to sell the old wheel for $100 and make the final cost $700 out the door. No down time other than the removal/install.

Option 4. Pay $370 or $320 for a part carbon fiber part leather wheel from one of the supply houses. The lower option has a single section of the carbon fiber looking poly at the top, the higher option has 3 sections top and a couple at bottom. Does anyone have feedback with this? Is the poly faux carbon fiber section even more slippery than a matted won alcantara wheel?

I feel like I've seen a few guys posting about going the carbon fiber wheel route. Dont recall seeing any feedback though

ANGREY

Established Member
I feel like I've seen a few guys posting about going the carbon fiber wheel route. Dont recall seeing any feedback though

I really dig the look of the CF wheels, but I'm afraid they're slick and even worse than the matted alcantara without gloves on. I don't know if you guys are like me, but I have a "gripper ball" on my MGW and I'm constantly wiping my hand on my pants so it doesn't feel slippery on the shifter. When the alcantara is new and fresh, it's way more grippy, but after extended use, it's starting to look tired and bald (in a way).

I love the look of the faux CF, and it'll obviously "wear" better than the alcantara, just worried it doesn't solve the issue of grip.

ANGREY

Established Member
Found this little jewel....

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steerin...black-stitching-red-stripe-2015-2017/p/STW81/

Exactly what I was looking for....red index at the top, leather instead of alcantara, and only $250 shipped. Beautiful. I'll try to recondition my old wheel before I sell it and report back to you guys. It's not like it's in terrible shape, but the alcantara gets smoothed/slick after repeated use.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I worked with DCTMS to provide a custom option for the S550. The wheel has its own custom shape and thicker grips. Part carbon, part leather, total awesome

481D0107-7903-4B1E-A32C-65952E009FF6.jpeg

ANGREY

Established Member
I worked with DCTMS to provide a custom option for the S550. The wheel has its own custom shape and thicker grips. Part carbon, part leather, total awesome

View attachment 1547565

I dig it. But A) I'm concerned about the grip at the top. CF looks tremendous, but the resin smooth finish is slick like polycarbonate and B) I didn't want to spend a fortune on this issue. Some of the higher quality CF options are several hundred dollars. It wasn't THAT important to me.

ANGREY

Established Member
What year is your 350? Apparently the aftermarket steering wheel options dont clear the airbag on the 18+

I have a '16. I made sure it will work.

There's an interesting youtube video on a guy who swapped over his controls to the new '18+ arrangement. It basically swaps the radio controls to the left hand side (which would be preferable). I may do this later on. Like most people, the vast majority of my inputs on the steering wheel are with my right hand (radio) which would be more convenient with a manual if it were on the other side.

ANGREY

Established Member
Installed the new all leather wheel. Looks and feels great. Thickness is the same as the alcantara wheel. First drive was as expected, much more grip bare handed vs the typical smoothed over alcantara wheel. Came with a red index at the top.

Took the old wheel and reconditioned it by applying some auto carpet cleaner and fluffing the fibers again. It goes without saying that the normal oils that your skin produce clog up the fibers but you really don't realize how filthy and gummed up the wheel gets until you see how much residue comes out with cleaning. I would say it needs to be cleaned rather frequently, but one would have to weigh how much wear and tear that outs on the fibers. I think alcantara is one of those materials that might seem luxurious and maybe even practical with racing gloves on but for long term use, it just doesn't make much sense. I'd love to swap out the recaros for leather, but they get way less grime in them as like the rest of you I don't drive nekkid. But alcantara, like black carpet gives OCD types fits because EVERYTHING shows up on it. And despite my best efforts there will be noticeable wear on the left side edges and bolster from entering and exiting.

Anyway, leather is preferable to me. Should hold up and perform better without gloves and in fact, oil from hands actually helps to condition the leather.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Installed the new all leather wheel. Looks and feels great. Thickness is the same as the alcantara wheel. First drive was as expected, much more grip bare handed vs the typical smoothed over alcantara wheel. Came with a red index at the top.

Took the old wheel and reconditioned it by applying some auto carpet cleaner and fluffing the fibers again. It goes without saying that the normal oils that your skin produce clog up the fibers but you really don't realize how filthy and gummed up the wheel gets until you see how much residue comes out with cleaning. I would say it needs to be cleaned rather frequently, but one would have to weigh how much wear and tear that outs on the fibers. I think alcantara is one of those materials that might seem luxurious and maybe even practical with racing gloves on but for long term use, it just doesn't make much sense. I'd love to swap out the recaros for leather, but they get way less grime in them as like the rest of you I don't drive nekkid. But alcantara, like black carpet gives OCD types fits because EVERYTHING shows up on it. And despite my best efforts there will be noticeable wear on the left side edges and bolster from entering and exiting.

Anyway, leather is preferable to me. Should hold up and perform better without gloves and in fact, oil from hands actually helps to condition the leather.

I really wish the recarros came in leather for these cars, as you said look cleaner and are easier to clean.

JJ510

I ordered a wheel from Beith Performance and couldn't be happier. The fit and finish is excellent.

IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4324.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread