GT350 voodoo to coyote swap

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Is that for real?? Turning 8900rpm?? Amazing if true. The Boss 302 Pirelli Challenge race cars had their rev limits between 8200 and 8400 if I recall - I hadn't ever heard of Coyotes or Roadrunners running any higher.
IIRC, Shaun at AED had his Coyote shifting at roughly that RPM a few years back. When he tuned mine I had the limiter set to 8400, and usually shifted around 8200. My buddy had a stock GT350 at the time and while I liked the car as a whole better, I liked my motor more.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
^^ Yeah Shaun was turning that engine pretty hard. If I remember right he only had intake cams and said the stock valve springs are good to 8900.

I went back and looked since it had been a few years, he has turned 8900 before, but said 8500+ for stock parts.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
I had an AED tune on my Laguna Seca and it revved out beautifully with just a Steeda Boss intake and Borla S Type axlebacks. I turned the rev limit down to 7900 instead of 8200 because I was worried about those types of revs causing damage. This was nearly 10 years ago - it seems like people have gotten an even better handle on these motors more recently and are exploiting what they have to offer. BTW on a dyno my car made peak power at the 7900rpm rev limiter and likely would have gone even higher if I had bumped the rev limit.

dflo143

Interesting - you have the same 2014 GT500 I used to have. As for the GT350 swap to a Coyote, you need to repin the PCM connector to to match the Coyote firing order.

View attachment 1780481
Have you or someone you knew done the swap already? And does it work with re pining the pcm connector? I have a gt350 motor is done for and i wanted to swap it with a 5.0 long block and my only concern is what i have to do with the harness or pcm?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Have you or someone you knew done the swap already? And does it work with re pining the pcm connector? I have a gt350 motor is done for and i wanted to swap it with a 5.0 long block and my only concern is what i have to do with the harness or pcm?
Wiring map:

The Original Poster ("OP") is Black Boss, whom I believe retired from Ford Motor Company a few years back from his role as its CFO. Read the thread from beginning to end to see what he did with his GT350.

dflo143

Wiring map:

The Original Poster ("OP") is Black Boss, whom I believe retired from Ford Motor Company a few years back from his role as its CFO. Read the thread from beginning to end to see what he did with his GT350.
Wiring map:

I read it all but i
Wiring map:

Waiting for a response but haven’t seen anything on doing that, all i know is he did a 5.2 but with the CPC conversion. I really want know what i have to do to make the 5.0 long block work in the gt350

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I read it all but i

Waiting for a response but haven’t seen anything on doing that, all i know is he did a 5.2 but with the CPC conversion. I really want know what i have to do to make the 5.0 long block work in the gt350
The 5.2 cpc engine is basically a slightly over-sized Coyote 5.0. So, from an operating perspective, the wiring needs unpinning and re-pinning the connectors to get the plugs and injectors to fire in the right order. Also, you'll need to get an aftermarket tune to put a Coyote tune on the GT350 ECU.

As for things like the mechanics of the installation and bolt-up of the exhaust and so on, I can't help you there. All the CPC installs I've read about include replacement exhausts and so on. The GT350 intake and manifold might work, or you might have to swap over to the Coyote version from the GT.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
There are a few folks on M6G and TMO that have done this swap, and the GT350 PCM works fine with the new engine. Repin the connectors, change the firing order table so the PCM knows which cylinder is which if there's knock or misfire, and drop the red line from 8250 down to something vastly lower that's safe for the Coyote. Depending on how much of the Voodoo sensor set and plumbing you keep, the rest of the tuning need not be excessive.

Although the voodoo makes significantly more power than the coyote (505-360=120rwhp non DI and 565-436=145rwhp more with DI (non production)) Id recommend going to the coyote. The voodoo just isnt there yet and being what it is it'll probably be a while before all the bugs are worked out by the aftermarket. Ford certainly isn't going to. Giving up 120-145rwhp is a lot though. Id recommend some boost to help level the field.

The Voodoo IS a coyote in it's fundamental infrastructure. Obvouisluy crank is different and heads are slightly "better" than gen 2 coyote heads. However, voodoo heads are not superior to gen 3 coyote heads.

That said, there are countless coyotes that spin to 8k+rpm. At that point, what is the point of the voodoo? Sound? Perhaps, but definitely not power.

Further, there are exactly 0 stock voodoo's that make 145whp more than a gen 3 coyote. A stock gen 3 coyote usually makes 430-440whp. A stock gt350 makes 450-470whp.

All that said -- If I bought a gt350, I'd want the voodoo to keep the car what it is. If wanted to build a high HP mustang, I'd buy a gen 3 10r80 coyote car and turbo it. You'd lose to almost nothing on the street.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
The Voodoo IS a coyote in it's fundamental infrastructure. Obvouisluy crank is different and heads are slightly "better" than gen 2 coyote heads. However, voodoo heads are not superior to gen 3 coyote heads.

That said, there are countless coyotes that spin to 8k+rpm. At that point, what is the point of the voodoo? Sound? Perhaps, but definitely not power.

Further, there are exactly 0 stock voodoo's that make 145whp more than a gen 3 coyote. A stock gen 3 coyote usually makes 430-440whp. A stock gt350 makes 450-470whp.

All that said -- If I bought a gt350, I'd want the voodoo to keep the car what it is. If wanted to build a high HP mustang, I'd buy a gen 3 10r80 coyote car and turbo it. You'd lose to almost nothing on the street.

I agree with you, there is just something about the GT350 that makes it special, but the newer coyotes are revving to 8K RPM, so it's not about the power, it's more about the car being built around the voodoo engine.

While it may be a cool project to do the swap, it will always be a project car. In my opinion, I would just buy a Mustang GT with a performance package and call it a day.

decipha

Established Member

You verified my statement and then contradicted yourself.

You obviously missed the part about the DI and non DI.

Gen 3 yote is DI. Gen 2 voodoo is DI but you wont know anything about that til 2026.

You have to compare directly and your comparing apples to oranges mixing up the DI and non DI. You can see I specifically divide the two above.

You said a stock gen 3 coyote makes 430-440. I said it made 436. We are in aggreance. That is the arbitrary ford development value.

The arbitray ford development value for the gen 2 yote is 360. Thats what you have to compare the non DI voodoo to.

You say a voodoo makes 450-470. The arbitrary ford value is 505.

If your going to compare a DI gen 3 yote then you have to compare it to a gen 2 DI voodoo which makes 565 arbitrary. Again you wont hear or know anything about that for a few years still so my apologies for not elaborating.

BTW those arbitrary ford development values are made up from production testing 10,000 units.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
You verified my statement and then contradicted yourself.

You obviously missed the part about the DI and non DI.

Gen 3 yote is DI. Gen 2 voodoo is DI but you wont know anything about that til 2026.

You have to compare directly and your comparing apples to oranges mixing up the DI and non DI. You can see I specifically divide the two above.

You said a stock gen 3 coyote makes 430-440. I said it made 436. We are in aggreance. That is the arbitrary ford development value.

The arbitray ford development value for the gen 2 yote is 360. Thats what you have to compare the non DI voodoo to.

You say a voodoo makes 450-470. The arbitrary ford value is 505.

If your going to compare a DI gen 3 yote then you have to compare it to a gen 2 DI voodoo which makes 565 arbitrary. Again you wont hear or know anything about that for a few years still so my apologies for not elaborating.

BTW those arbitrary ford development values are made up from production testing 10,000 units.
Interesting! When I replied earlier, I forgot about the DI/non-DI issue and assumed that @dflo143 was installing a non-DI long block. Also, he didn't indicate the level of tune of that long block, so if it's a Ford part, it'll have one set of characteristics, and if it's aftermarket, it could be anything.

Your post made me curious - can a DI engine be installed in a non-DI chassis? Presumably, you need a new ECU and wiring harness, but will it actually work?

Users who are viewing this thread