GT350 voodoo to coyote swap

Federico Garza

Established Member
So ive been looking for a GT350, ran in to one with a blown engine, I know part of the fun on these cars is the engine, but id really like to have a very reliable power plant with none of the voodoo shortcomings (vibrations, oil consumptions, dropped valves and such).

If doing a coyote swap would just custom tunning be needed to make it run , or would this requiere a rewire of the engine harness also?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Interesting - you have the same 2014 GT500 I used to have. As for the GT350 swap to a Coyote, you need to repin the PCM connector to to match the Coyote firing order.

1676058398358.png

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You might as well just buy a mustang with a coyote in it. The main driving experience of a 350 revolves around the voodoo and the exhaust sound.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would say the LEAST fun thing about the GT350 is the engine. Buddy has one for a couple years now and he added all kinda of shit and its still slow AF smh.

I would do a coyote swap with a piston and rod combo and boost it with a 3.0 whipple. Just buy the short block. The Voodoo heads are way better than coyote so u can use the heads for sure their badass!

Im not sure what all is involved but im sure its a lot of wiring work. Not sure if the ECU would even work properly with a diferrent cam and all but maybe. Mite need a coyote ECU but maybe not I didnt need a new ECU on my swap.

And yes of course it would have to be re-tuned even if u just did the swap with no power adder. Thats a BIG project bro and will get VERY expensive trust me!

We swapped an RS3 into my Golf R and it was a nitemare of wiring its gonna be a LOT more than re-pinning.
IMG_0588.jpeg

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
OP - sounds like you have a fun idea on your hands. The 350s have the better brakes, steering, rear diff, mag ride, wider front fenders, etc etc etc. I've always thought that if my motor blew, I would put an Aluminator 5.2 in it. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

I'm with that guy ^^^
I say do it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I've thought about the same thing: my warranty runs to 2026. What is a plan if my motor shits after warranty? I'd say do it with a used Coyote or a cross plane cammed crate motor.

The voodoo does make this car special, so that would be some lost mojo and a bunch of lost value, but gotta make something work.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would say the LEAST fun thing about the GT350 is the engine. Buddy has one for a couple years now and he added all kinda of shit and its still slow AF smh.

I would do a coyote swap with a piston and rod combo and boost it with a 3.0 whipple. Just buy the short block. The Voodoo heads are way better than coyote so u can use the heads for sure their badass!

Im not sure what all is involved but im sure its a lot of wiring work. Not sure if the ECU would even work properly with a diferrent cam and all but maybe. Mite need a coyote ECU but maybe not I didnt need a new ECU on my swap.

And yes of course it would have to be re-tuned even if u just did the swap with no power adder. Thats a BIG project bro and will get VERY expensive trust me!

We swapped an RS3 into my Golf R and it was a nitemare of wiring its gonna be a LOT more than re-pinning.View attachment 1780521
It's not meant to be straight line fast, obviously you probably know that. Pretty sure it would eat my 03 cobra alive in the twisties.

It seems everyone nowadays wants at least 1000hp or it's slow....

I'm glad I'm past the point of wanting every extra HP I can find on my cars and just leave them be.

But, to each their own.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's not meant to be straight line fast, obviously you probably know that. Pretty sure it would eat my 03 cobra alive in the twisties.

It seems everyone nowadays wants at least 1000hp or it's slow....

I'm glad I'm past the point of wanting every extra HP I can find on my cars and just leave them be.

But, to each their own.

This.

The chassis is pretty capable and well dialed right out of the box. It's not just fast, it's easy to drive fast and forgivable. The engine adds to the experience, in my opinion but a 5.2 CPC aluminator would probably do well.

Different strokes.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
[...]

And yes of course it would have to be re-tuned [...]
There are a few folks on M6G and TMO that have done this swap, and the GT350 PCM works fine with the new engine. Repin the connectors, change the firing order table so the PCM knows which cylinder is which if there's knock or misfire, and drop the red line from 8250 down to something vastly lower that's safe for the Coyote. Depending on how much of the Voodoo sensor set and plumbing you keep, the rest of the tuning need not be excessive.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
This.

The chassis is pretty capable and well dialed right out of the box. It's not just fast, it's easy to drive fast and forgivable. The engine adds to the experience, in my opinion but a 5.2 CPC aluminator would probably do well.

Different strokes.
Precisely! The GT350 chassis has surprisingly few parts that are interchangeable with a regular Mustang GT, even a Mach 1. The forged aluminum front knuckles completely change the steering feel and precision. From the wider fenders and spacious wheel well linings to the counter-wound rear springs and the under-body aero, it's just a different car.

Federico Garza

Established Member
OP - sounds like you have a fun idea on your hands. The 350s have the better brakes, steering, rear diff, mag ride, wider front fenders, etc etc etc. I've always thought that if my motor blew, I would put an Aluminator 5.2 in it. Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Im trying to be very practical, dont feel very comfortable buying a $50k grenade with the safety pin off :cool:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is definitely a promising and cool build project. I'd personally want the Voodoo engine (2020 would be my choice) because I'd want the whole GT350 package. But I understand why you, and others, might opt for a Coyote swap.

decipha

Established Member
Although the voodoo makes significantly more power than the coyote (505-360=120rwhp non DI and 565-436=145rwhp more with DI (non production)) Id recommend going to the coyote. The voodoo just isnt there yet and being what it is it'll probably be a while before all the bugs are worked out by the aftermarket. Ford certainly isn't going to. Giving up 120-145rwhp is a lot though. Id recommend some boost to help level the field.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Im trying to be very practical, dont feel very comfortable buying a $50k grenade with the safety pin off :cool:
I totally get it. I waited to buy one until the final year of production because I was worried about possible engine issues. I freaking love mine and drive the heck out of it, including a road trip from TX to CA last summer. These cars really get under your skin and although I agree that the Voodoo engine is probably the best part, as someone who owned two different Boss 302s with the glorious Roadrunner engines, I can tell you that a proper Coyote-based high revving cross plane crank V8 is not going to be a letdown at all! Combine that type of engine with the spectacular GT350 chassis and all that it comes with and you will have a super badass car.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

We swapped an RS3 into my Golf R and it was a nitemare of wiring its gonna be a LOT more than re-pinning.View attachment 1780521
Is the Golf up and running? Gotta be a great little sleeper.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Look what GPI did with a local coyote...this would be awesome in the 350 chassis

KBBoss302

Established Member
Look what GPI did with a local coyote...this would be awesome in the 350 chassis

Is that for real?? Turning 8900rpm?? Amazing if true. The Boss 302 Pirelli Challenge race cars had their rev limits between 8200 and 8400 if I recall - I hadn't ever heard of Coyotes or Roadrunners running any higher.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that for real?? Turning 8900rpm?? Amazing if true. The Boss 302 Pirelli Challenge race cars had their rev limits between 8200 and 8400 if I recall - I hadn't ever heard of Coyotes or Roadrunners running any higher.
It threw me off also. But then again, they did some things that were not your average coyote bolt ons. They are a huge and trusted shop that turns out very high functioning cars, usually straight line though. I would imagine they'd been called out by now if this video was inaccurate, but ya never know

KBBoss302

Established Member
That is so cool. I really appreciated his explanation on video of what he was doing. Heck - I wish my Voodoo revved out that well!

Users who are viewing this thread