GT350 w/ Track Package vs. GT350R. What is the difference?

NlGHTMARE

Banned
It seems like the base GT350 w/ the Track Package will be very comparable to the 'R' model sans the Rear Wing, Splitter and rear seat removal. What is the big advantage in the 'R' package?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
images

"This new-gen "R-spec" model goes beyond the GT350 Mustang to deliver more of what matters to serious performance enthusiasts, namely less weight, better aerodynamics and a track-tuned suspension.

Ford engineers trimmed the GT350R's curb weight by over 130 pounds compared to a 2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack model. Nearly half of that loss came in the form of critical unsprung weight due to the use of 19-inch full carbon fiber wheels that are lighter and stiffer than the GT350's standard aluminum-alloy rims. That swap also brings even-stickier Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ultra-performance tires in place of the GT350's Super Sport rubber. The remaining weight drop came from jettisoning the air conditioning, audio system, rear seats, trunk floorboard/ carpet, backup camera and emergency tire sealer/inflator kit as well as the resonators from the exhaust system.

Ironically, Ford will offer an optional Electronics Package for the GT350R that adds back dual-zone air conditioning, 8-inch touch screen with navigation, seven-speaker audio system, turn signal mirrors and more"

cluscher

Established Member
OP, that's a great question. If you don't get caught up in the hype of the "R" then my guess is probably about 80lbs or so for a similar equipped "R" with the entertainment package. If someone uses the car for its intended purpose of open track lapping/racing then that means a separate set of track wheels and tires. With a good set of wheels I think that figure drops to about 50lbs. So, not much IMO.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Yeh if I were to get one, I'd just get a 350 with the track pack. You'll more than likely do exhaust to save some weight, you'll more than likely do lightweight wheels&tires for racing events anyway, and removing the rear seat and passenger seat doesn't take but 10 minutes. The aluminum underpinning the R model has will probably be an easy mod to shave some weight as well.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
images

"This new-gen "R-spec" model goes beyond the GT350 Mustang to deliver more of what matters to serious performance enthusiasts, namely less weight, better aerodynamics and a track-tuned suspension.

Ford engineers trimmed the GT350R's curb weight by over 130 pounds compared to a 2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack model. Nearly half of that loss came in the form of critical unsprung weight due to the use of 19-inch full carbon fiber wheels that are lighter and stiffer than the GT350's standard aluminum-alloy rims. That swap also brings even-stickier Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ultra-performance tires in place of the GT350's Super Sport rubber. The remaining weight drop came from jettisoning the air conditioning, audio system, rear seats, trunk floorboard/ carpet, backup camera and emergency tire sealer/inflator kit as well as the resonators from the exhaust system.

Ironically, Ford will offer an optional Electronics Package for the GT350R that adds back dual-zone air conditioning, 8-inch touch screen with navigation, seven-speaker audio system, turn signal mirrors and more"

Here is your answer op

jlauth

Established Member
Here is your answer op

I am assuming that you will be able to add the carbon fiber wheels as an option, but maybe not the carbon brakes. A 10 lb difference is wheel weight would make a huge difference on how much power this car puts to the ground.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
From reading the leaked order guide the carbon wheels and brakes are exclusive to the R package. One nu,ber that has beent thrown around for the carbon wheels is 12k from FRPP. I am guessing the CC brakes may become available through FRPP later as well. Probably 5k+ plus

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
Forgelines and track pads on a 350 and the difference will be pretty negligible.

hognutz

Established Member
cliff notes

1. carbon fiber wheels (~60lbs of wieght reduction is from the wheels I think)
2. carbon brakes
3. rear seat delete
4. ac and radio delete
5. I think it may have more agresive suspesion tuning
6. more aero
7. sport cup tires
8. 130lbs lighter overall.

it really is kind of exaclty what GM did with the Z28 with two differences. ford kept the mag ride instead of DSV dampners but they also went carbon fiber wheels.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...removing the rear seat and passenger seat doesn't take but 10 minutes. ...

Definitely underestimating on that time. If you're going to do it right, it takes waaaay more than 10 minutes. Unless Ford is using quick-release seats in the S550, those things don't just pop right out. Not to mention the removal of the seatbelt spools. Notice in the rear compartment pix of the GT350R that there are no rear seatbelts. You have to remove a lot of trim panels to get to those. If you're being careful not to damage or mar anything, it's going to take over an hour just to remove the back seats and seatbelts. Ten minutes to remove the front passenger seat is plausible.

... A 10 lb difference is wheel weight would make a huge difference on how much power this car puts to the ground.

If what I'm seeing people post about the CC brake rotors only being on the front, it won't make any difference in how much power it puts down. The CF wheels at the back will definitely make a huge difference as far as seat-of-the-pants feel. That's 26 less pounds to spin. I've done an equal amount of weightloss at the wheels, and trust me, it makes a BIG difference in feel. My car now drives like it's only 3400 pounds. (I also have lighter weight brake rotors contributing to that feel, but the wheels made a much bigger difference than the rotors.) With CC rotors on the front of the GT350R, coupled with the CF wheels, turn-in and steering feedback are going to be phenomenal!

Users who are viewing this thread