GT40 Cams????

TORQJNKY

Not much at all. I have them and saw no noticable difference, maybe 10RWHP. For the money it costs to get them installed you would be better off getting a set of custom ground cams. These are known to get you anywhere from 60-100RWHP with the right tune. Crower and Comp should get you about 30-50 RWHP. Cost difference between custom ground and off the shelf Comp or Crower is negligable.

If you still want the GT cams, I will sell you mine cheap with low miles (1000 miles) as soon as I have them taken out next week.

Last edited:

iBiTe03

Established Member
another thing to keep in mind is that if you dont see a huge increase in overall rwhp or tq, your numbers across the board should be higher than they were before which will also make a huge difference.

J'sSilverSnake

Established Member
This week my car is getting rebuil and the cost for the gt40 cams are $ 400 and because I will pay for port the head will not be any extra cost to instal the cams

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My new engine has FGT cams in it. As soon as I can muster the time to finally drop it in I will post the figures that I get from my dynojet.

-Jeff

GodStang

Established Member
This week my car is getting rebuil and the cost for the gt40 cams are $ 400 and because I will pay for port the head will not be any extra cost to instal the cams

Do it once and do it correct buy custom grind. I have 3 regrets in my build. Regret number 2 is I went with off the shelf cams instead of custom grind. You loose tons of power going with off the shelf cams and also they do not sound as good. If you are getting heads P&P then it would be a BIG WASTE to add GT Cams. Remember they are designed for a 5.4L car not a 4.6L car.

03Ken

Sleeper
Established Member
Do it once and do it correct buy custom grind. I have 3 regrets in my build. Regret number 2 is I went with off the shelf cams instead of custom grind. You loose tons of power going with off the shelf cams and also they do not sound as good. If you are getting heads P&P then it would be a BIG WASTE to add GT Cams. Remember they are designed for a 5.4L car not a 4.6L car.

What about FRPP high lift camshafts w ported heads?

GodStang

Established Member
What about FRPP high lift camshafts w ported heads?

Its still an off the shelf cam. With the money spent doing it why cheap out. I did not know any better 4 years ago when I did my build. I will one day swap my Stage IIIs for MPH Custom Grinds to match the setup I am running.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am in the boat with a few other people. I didn't have to pay for the cam swap, other than the cost of the cams, Comp springs and retainers. I had no plans for doing cams, but for the price it was a no brainer for me to do these.

racebronco2

Established Member

How did you lose tons of power? Was the lose compared to stock cams or are you comparing them to custom cams? The gain isn't very much, it does help the engine to run more efficient and they are smog legal.

I do agree on the sound and gt cams and ported heads are a waste.

GodStang

Established Member
How did you lose tons of power? Was the lose compared to stock cams or are you comparing them to custom cams? The gain isn't very much, it does help the engine to run more efficient and they are smog legal.

I do agree on the sound and gt cams and ported heads are a waste.

What I was comparing is Dyno sheets of cars that were running aftermarket off the shelf cams i.e. Crower and Comp, and switched them out for custom cams design for their setup. I have seen 100+rwhp gain with custom over comp cams with this being the only thing changed. Now this is on highly modded high boost cars so a low boost street car would not be as much but the ability is there.

I have talked to 4 or 5 people now that have all had GT cams claimed no gains with a tiny bit in sound and I think all had since swapped out for custom cams. I am kinda in the same boat I spent money on Stage IIIs and had a small gain with them (around 50rwhp) and wish I did it correct the first time. Now I will have to spend money to redo it if I want more power. Look at all the big HP guys and the guys with super fast cars all are custom cams.

racebronco2

Established Member
What I was comparing is Dyno sheets of cars that were running aftermarket off the shelf cams i.e. Crower and Comp, and switched them out for custom cams design for their setup. I have seen 100+rwhp gain with custom over comp cams with this being the only thing changed. Now this is on highly modded high boost cars so a low boost street car would not be as much but the ability is there.

I have talked to 4 or 5 people now that have all had GT cams claimed no gains with a tiny bit in sound and I think all had since swapped out for custom cams. I am kinda in the same boat I spent money on Stage IIIs and had a small gain with them (around 50rwhp) and wish I did it correct the first time. Now I will have to spend money to redo it if I want more power. Look at all the big HP guys and the guys with super fast cars all are custom cams.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have heard that most people don't gain much with gt cams and actually lose a little boost, the same goes for headers and ported heads. Gt cams, headers and ported heads increase the engine efficiency with little to no gains. Big boost is another story.

ricksterman

Established Member
Errrr, why would anyone want to port the heads, change the cams and go with headers if they're not going with a lot of boost (20+psi)? That's the whole point! Has anyone not figured this out? (although I do just fine with stock cams, heads and exhaust manifolds).

Loss of boost = increase in air flow (unless you did something stupid)

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Errrr, why would anyone want to port the heads, change the cams and go with headers if they're not going with a lot of boost (20+psi)? That's the whole point! Has anyone not figured this out? (although I do just fine with stock cams, heads and exhaust manifolds).

Most people want cams for the sound... The terminator has become the American ricer... Most people that I have met that own Terminators this is there first Mustang.

J'sSilverSnake

Established Member

I have to rebuil any way and on the future I will go with a big blower or turbo is better invest a litte more today that pay a lot more on the long run

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Changing cams in a Cobra for sound = Ghey

Don't people like power anymore? I thought increasing the Ve of the engine and making more power on less boost was a good thing?

I thought RWTD had good gains with the GT cams in a ported Eaton car? I have seen big power with off the shelf cams, That Earls Automotive car that John M. made over 900HP @ the crank with a 2.4 KB comes to mind. I think the power secret is in the timing/degreeing the cams...

All I know is my cams suck when I'm stuck in traffic...

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Changing cams in a Cobra for sound = Ghey

Don't people like power anymore? I thought increasing the Ve of the engine and making more power on less boost was a good thing?

I thought RWTD had good gains with the GT cams in a ported Eaton car? I have seen big power with off the shelf cams, That Earls Automotive car that John M. made over 900HP @ the crank with a 2.4 KB comes to mind. I think the power secret is in the timing/degreeing the cams...

All I know is my cams suck when I'm stuck in traffic...

I am not saying off the shelf cams are bad I am saying with money spent they are not as good. I mean damn I mad over 700rwhp on 93 octane and 17psi with my 2.2L with the stage IIIs. Also the GT cams on RWTD never happened. He gave that project up last we saw. I just reread the thread about it.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Ahhh I see. Im with you. I also made good power IMO, 610 RWHP @ 14.5-15psi. These were with off the shelf Stg 2 Comp's, set @ stock timing. True any custom ground for your application will net more gains than a generic boost cam.

Users who are viewing this thread