GT500 engine swap in a Mustang GT...

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
If the dreamed about(vapour right now) Boss comes at the rumoured 1000 units, you can forget about getting one for less than 75 grand. The ADM's on the GT500 will look like free samples of shampoo in that case...

Fourcam330

Established Member
Wild Stallion said:
Sounds cool but really exspensive. I will possiblly be doing a built 3v for my GT with Livernois next winter for around $8k already have the whipple then I can push 800-900rwhp and still stay lighter with out striping the car down. You could also wait and put money down and get the Boss 302 that Ford will be releasing it has already had most things pulled on it and the car will have the New 5.0 hurricane rated at around 425 n/a. I don't know just some ideas.

LOL, you're going to be waiting for a while because the new Boss will not have a 425hp N/A 5.0L Hurricane motor. ;-) Motor Trend will be eating crow hardcore on this one.

Almo

Established Member
Andrew,

Have you heard anything about any Mustang in the near future coming out with a NA 331 in it? I would think if anything was SAE'ed at 425 NA it would have to be larger than a 302... not to mention, I am sure if something did come out with such numbers, it too is going to be hard to get ahold of until numbers hit the street. And of course, major adms as well. :bored:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Almo said:
Andrew,

Have you heard anything about any Mustang in the near future coming out with a NA 331 in it? I would think if anything was SAE'ed at 425 NA it would have to be larger than a 302... not to mention, I am sure if something did come out with such numbers, it too is going to be hard to get ahold of until numbers hit the street. And of course, major adms as well. :bored:

i have been hearing about 2 valve 5.8, 6.2, and maybe even a 6.4 boss motors powering the new f series and mustangs. the threads are here if you want to search. i would not trust anyone but andy and tim on future info.;-)

wildosvt04

Established Member
Almo said:
Andrew,

You must be mistaken the BOSS crate engine for an upcoming model. Actually, The only thing thats most certainly coming is a BULLITT edition.
It was shown at the "showroom of tommorrow" that Ford held.

All the press about the BOSS production car is speculation at this time.
Besides, Shinoda owns the rights to the name BOSS. Not Ford.

The same with GT-40. Thats why they called the Ford GT a "GT" and not a GT-40. Even though the roofline was 44".

Wild Stallion

Established Member
I talked to my dealer about it and I was the only one that knew something about it. I think most dealerships are not going to have a clue about this car and see it as some thing like a Bullit or Shelby GT and not a major collector like the GT500. The hurricane is gonig to have to be in the 400hp range cause that is the next engine to go into the 09' stangs, and to compete with the camaro and challenger ford is going to have to bump the power. I did read that KB thread but that is not where i got my info whipple post #'s on their site for 800-900 posible with race belt system(which has not come out yet)but Livernois themselves with actually talking to them and their several write ups on their Black S-197. but i know as the saying goes there is always someone faster and there is always someone hotter when talking about women. I just want to be one of the fastest:thumbsup:

Wild Stallion

Established Member
I am just saying the average dealer won't until they start getting tons of people in asking about it and trying to put money down on them. It's the fanatic collectors that drive the prices up so friggn' far. And my dealer knew about the Shelby Cobra roadster i was a bit surprised that they had not heard about the Boss. Sure wish Ford would bring the Cobra into production.

Almo

Established Member
wildosvt04 said:
You must be mistaken the BOSS crate engine for an upcoming model. Actually, The only thing thats most certainly coming is a BULLITT edition.
It was shown at the "showroom of tommorrow" that Ford held.

All the press about the BOSS production car is speculation at this time.
Besides, Shinoda owns the rights to the name BOSS. Not Ford.

The same with GT-40. Thats why they called the Ford GT a "GT" and not a GT-40. Even though the roofline was 44".

Hold your horses buddy, I never said anything about something coming out.. someone else did. I only ask Andrew if he has heard of a possible future Mustang coming out with a NA 331 in it.

Plus, everyone here already knows your scoop above. I would call you captain obvious but I don't know you so I'll just reiterate... I mentioned nothing about a Boss coming out, so no false speculation ever came from my keyboard. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
The 302/331 are windsor/pushrod derivatives to be sold only through FRPP not for use in production Fords. The new Boss will be powered by a "Boss" engine 2v/OHC; it was originally alleged to be 5.8L but now will likely be a 6.2 (MT is in the approx HP ballpark). A year or so after the Boss debuts the Mustang GT will also get the 6.2.
There's simply no way Ford can make 425 emissions legal HP with a N/A 2v 5.0L V8 when Chevy/Dodge need 6.0+L to make the same power.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Also cheapest ive seen a GT500 long block is like 15k or something like that. Livernois has gotten over 700hp out of a built procharged 4.6 3v. why not just build that.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This is a little off topic, but it has to do with GT500 part swaps. What about the possibility of swapping the new GT500 6spd tranny into a 03 Cobra? Is that a poor idea? I hear the GT500 tranny is like heaven compared to the 03/04.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
Lethalchem said:
This is a little off topic, but it has to do with GT500 part swaps. What about the possibility of swapping the new GT500 6spd tranny into a 03 Cobra? Is that a poor idea? I hear the GT500 tranny is like heaven compared to the 03/04.
Not sure I don't see why not I think the T-6060 is basically a upgraded T-56

03SBSVT

Banned
Almo said:
Michael,

Yeppers, been around for a while so understand what you’re saying… although, if I do go with a T-56 and FYI to ya T-56 isn't any heavier than the T3650, in fact... the T56 (thanks for the separated alum bell) is a tad lighter. That said, going to go about it different anyways. 3400+ should be an all optioned premium GT. I'll be going with a deluxe model, rear seat delete, strip everything out of the back and put a delete kit in, race seats, scrap all the sound deadening bs out of the car... and a few other things to lighten it up. Of course, k-member and a-arms will also be installed so no... the weight shouldn’t be that much more and the engine isn’t going to offset the weight I will be taken out. :thumbsup:

Oh and another thing, we're going to see just how much the T3650 can take without being dogged to death. :-D

Other wise...

$5k for myself will cover all the supporting stuff I will need to make the 331 work. So, picking up a used GT and the outstanding charges will come no where near the price of a GT500.

Cheers,
Allen
the 5.4 is a 330 NOT a 331, btw just save yourself the trouble and hold out for a real GT500

Greg@RET

Established Member
So did you ever do this swap?

I was thinking about this swap the other day.... You can find a GT for $20,000 or just under now. Karkraft has the GT500's for $14,500, and you figure you could sell the stock 3V engine complete for $2g's. Personally I would run a GT auto trans with the GT500 motor, running off the 3V eec. :read:

I think it would be cool... hell I use to have a GTerminator, a GTshelby would be cool :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread