GT500 motor in a 66 Mustang

mi66SVT

Established Member
I am pretty new to this form and the classic mustang world. I recently purchased a 66 mustang. I am trying to put a 07-10 GT500 motor and trans in it. I already have a tubular front end which eliminates the towers. I also purchased the kit from Ford Racing to make the motor run as well. Anyone here heard or done this? I know I am going to run into some issues, but maybe someone that has done this could give me some heads up on some major issues.

boost4me

Banned
subbin...

This is pretty cool. Do you already have the engine for it? If not maybe save yourself some money and do a built terminator motor with a whipple or VMP etc, 4.6 block might fit better also. I know nothing about this though... just random thoughts.

I just know that fully dressed, 2013-2014 GT500 blocks are RIDICULOUS $$$.

A lot of people are using the aluminum blocks from Lincoln Mark VIII or Navigators. They are the strongest 4.6 blocks available, they just need to be redressed, and have the right pistons, rods and crank installed...

mi66SVT

Established Member
I already have the engine and trans with all the correct parts. I am already running into issues right off the back with it fitting. I am not sure if my front, end even though it is a tube frame, allows room. Another thing is the motor mounts. if I could figure out ho to post pictures I would throw them up. Another thing is the oil pan resting on the frame.

Rip Rock

Sorry for the late reply,

I have not done a 66, but I have just finished my 70 mach 1 fastback. I did an 08 gt500 motor, twin turbo(bw s366), air to water, T56 magnum ect.. Was straight forward install I thought. Just kept on measuring on what I had and needed. What make of front end did you use? I did the rod and customs mustang II front end. Take your time and measure and plan. Going for stock ecu or aftermarket? If aftermarket, I would look into a Hall effect sensor for the cam pick up.

migg400

Established Member
I am doing a Whippled Coyote in my 67 Fastback. Not sure if I ever came across your set up before, but I'm pretty sure the headaches are in common. Just take your time as I'm sure it will be a masterpiece when finished.

Users who are viewing this thread