GT500 single adjustable struts

Blackmax

Established Member
I have to replace my 7 year old Strange single adjustable struts, I was going to go double adjustable coil overs but with the Canadian dollar worth .50 cents U.S. thats not happening this year along with a lot of other stuff I planned on. I was wondering if anyone knows which strut is better between the Strange,Koni and Tokico? The only thing with Tokico is I can find the struts on their own they want to sell the rears as well. Thanks

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I heard a rumor that the Tokico D Specs aren't being made anymore, and American Muscle and a few other places stopped carrying them? I'd like to get a set , but I've had to make warranty claims on their crap before, and would hate to have one strut go out, and be stuck.

????

VNMOUS1

Established Member
They're out of production. We're working with AFCO on a specially valved coilover. My 07 is the mule. Details very soon.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Joel, the Koni's are more of a road course strut (and a poor one at that) where the Strange's are geared towards drag racers. Something to think about would be longevity, and you just don't get that with any twin tube shock. A quality mono tube damper like Bilstein would be your best bet if you want to make your money last, but they are not adjustable. The D-Specs are the same idea as the Koni Yellow's, twin tubes and all.

Now, where twin tubes suck is when they're pair with a cheap lowering spring that drops the car more than 1" and has close to stock rates. Basically any Eibach, SR/SVE, and some Ford Racing springs. Since your car isn't lowered much (or at all), you shouldn't be blowing the twin tubes out as fast as the guy who slams their car with saggy springs. If cost is on your mind, get the Koni Yellow's. If longevity, get something with a monotube that's adjustable (no idea who makes that at a reasonable price, probably because there aren't any).

Blackmax

Established Member
Joel, the Koni's are more of a road course strut (and a poor one at that) where the Strange's are geared towards drag racers. Something to think about would be longevity, and you just don't get that with any twin tube shock. A quality mono tube damper like Bilstein would be your best bet if you want to make your money last, but they are not adjustable. The D-Specs are the same idea as the Koni Yellow's, twin tubes and all.

Now, where twin tubes suck is when they're pair with a cheap lowering spring that drops the car more than 1" and has close to stock rates. Basically any Eibach, SR/SVE, and some Ford Racing springs. Since your car isn't lowered much (or at all), you shouldn't be blowing the twin tubes out as fast as the guy who slams their car with saggy springs. If cost is on your mind, get the Koni Yellow's. If longevity, get something with a monotube that's adjustable (no idea who makes that at a reasonable price, probably because there aren't any).

I just ordered the Tokico , I called Strange and the tech had no info on the strut. I bought my 9" rear from Strange and they were excellent for knowledge and service but they suck at shocks. Besides if B.J. uses them how could I go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread