• Shelby

Votes: 65 33.5%
  • Viper GTS

Votes: 129 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluestreak89

Established Member
I have been searching for some time now for a low mileage Generation II Viper GTS. I has only become recently aware to me :bash: :kaboom: :read:

:idea:

that the GTS is generally in the same price range as the Shelby, which I WOULD NOT buy over invoice. I really want a car to mod into a track monster. My turbo vette has had so many issue in the past year, I'd like to keep it N/A if it's aftermarket power Im searching. I do not, however want to have another 2 seater as my wife has a CLK500 and I have my vette so that would leave only our QX56 as a multy person vehicle. I feel like I'm going over board. Whereas with the Shelby I can at least get people in the back seat if I need to, which I have only used the rear seat of my M5 on rare occasions.

I guess I dont know which one I want. The viper is faster and has more potential especially for road racing, which I love. But the GT500 is a more suitable replacement for my M5 but faster and new and with a warranty.

I figure, considering I'm, posting in a shelby section, that I would get lots of Shelby votes but I thought I would ask anyways..

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I'm considering the same thing as you. However, after much research, you can get a Gen 3 viper for just over 50 right now. The Gen 3 is a much better car all around (think 03 cobra vs GT500). Anyway, after much debate, I've decided my next car will most likely be a GT500 or 2003+ viper. I thought the interior of the Gen II was not up to par, and the brakes weren't either. Just something to consider.

I voted GT500.

GTWill

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
I do not, however want to have another 2 seater as my wife has a CLK500 and I have my vette so that would leave only our QX56 as a multy person vehicle..
I'm a little confused about the statement unless you are selling the CLK. It has slightly more rear passinger room than the GT500.

svtjunkie

you've got red on you
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
I do not, however want to have another 2 seater

That kinda answers your own question, doesn't it?

I personaly like the GTS better, but it is your money.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
This poll is retarded, even modded terms spank gen vipers
hahah
yes you can mod a viper but $ for $, aint no contest

svtjunkie

you've got red on you
Established Member
a modded car will always be faster than a stock if done right. What it comes down to is personal preferance.

bluestreak89

Established Member
chuckstang said:
This poll is retarded, even modded terms spank gen vipers
hahah
yes you can mod a viper but $ for $, aint no contest

Generation II vipers are known to be as fast and in some circumstances faster than the Generation III. 11.8's have been run by SEVERAL people on stock tires with stock cars. (well smooth tube, k&n filters which comes on the ACR)

for about 3-5k I can get to about 470-490rwhp and a little more to 500 with a VEC2 and about 3 more K will get me some good brakes unless I got a late Generation II with ABS already on it. Add that to the fact that I can get a good low mileage 96-99 GTS for low 40's and actually get a maxcare warranty and it's definitely a formidable option.

I dont really want more two seaters, but that isnt gonna be the deal breaker. I've been wanting a work truck for my construction business so I can get a cheap on for 12-15k with an extended cab and solve that problem. Hell I would DD a civic if I had the vette and the viper in the garage. :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

I guess the ultimate goal is to be able to run with and beat all the new muscle that's coming out and already out and with the Viper I will have the mod potential to do that. If I got the GT500 that would be my cruiser and the Vette would have to be my dedicated track car.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Fast Freddy said:
i would rather have a lightning than a shelby GT-500

huh??
that is the most redneck comment I have ever heard hahaha
the rods in the gt500 are not the same pos rods in the lightning just so ya know

chuckstang

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Generation II vipers are known to be as fast and in some circumstances faster than the Generation III. 11.8's have been run by SEVERAL people on stock tires with stock cars. (well smooth tube, k&n filters which comes on the ACR)

for about 3-5k I can get to about 470-490rwhp and a little more to 500 with a VEC2 and about 3 more K will get me some good brakes unless I got a late Generation II with ABS already on it. Add that to the fact that I can get a good low mileage 96-99 GTS for low 40's and actually get a maxcare warranty and it's definitely a formidable option.

I dont really want more two seaters, but that isnt gonna be the deal breaker. I've been wanting a work truck for my construction business so I can get a cheap on for 12-15k with an extended cab and solve that problem. Hell I would DD a civic if I had the vette and the viper in the garage. :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

I guess the ultimate goal is to be able to run with and beat all the new muscle that's coming out and already out and with the Viper I will have the mod potential to do that. If I got the GT500 that would be my cruiser and the Vette would have to be my dedicated track car.

I don't know, but to me that is the most incoherent babbling I have ever heard :lol:
mod for mod the 03 and up svt mustangs including gt500 all outperform vipers in a straight line.
Like someone else said, if you want a fast n/a lighter car, go with the viper. Or if you just want some hot ass, get the viper. Im sure chicks would love it because they do look like sex on wheels.
I vote gt500 though :rockon:

bluestreak89

Established Member
chuckstang said:
I don't know, but to me that is the most incoherent babbling I have ever heard :lol:
mod for mod the 03 and up svt mustangs including gt500 all outperform vipers in a straight line.
Like someone else said, if you want a fast n/a lighter car, go with the viper. Or if you just want some hot ass, get the viper. Im sure chicks would love it because they do look like sex on wheels.
I vote gt500 though :rockon:
You post is babble because it has no relevance to what I said. Let me put it in elementary terms for you.

40,000 + 3,000 + 5,000 = FASTER AND BETTER THAN MUSTANG FOR SAME MONEY.

Did you not read the part where I said I like ROAD RACING :read: I could care less about an 03 blah blah blah (hows that for babbling) You obviously dont know much about the Generation II viper. Underated from the factory with 400 to 420 rwhp and add headers, ehaust, tune and your at 500 rwhp. Show me a stock mustang that runs anywhere near a 11.8 and down to 11.5 with the basic k&n filters and smooth tubes. That costs about two hundred bucks. That is also on stock tires. Bolt on vipers have run 11.1 or 11.2, I cant remember exactly.

There is no doubt there is more potential in the viper, the GT500 offers something different for me and gives me other options which is why I posted. So lets keep from comparing performance so you dont get OWNED

:beer:

Last edited:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Well I just went thru this exact process. I have an 03 term, did have a 2000 RT/10. I was going to get a GT500, after driving an 06 stang though I found it to not be very comfortable, the center console edge hits me right in the bone of my right knee, it was driving me crazy on a test drive - that & the $ for the GT500 sent me sniffing around. Long story short; I decided to go SRT/10 Viper, I got an 03 with 10k miles on for $48.6K, that's about (if not less) than what I'd pay without a markup for a GT500 Vert (obviously I'm a vert guy .. eh hem real men go topless, so the chicks can check us out, LOL).

I just went to the track, bone stock, right down to the run flat tires, 12.17 @ 121mph with a 1.9 60 ft time, worst run was 12.23 @ 119. Now I've priced a Paxton Novi 2000 complete kit for $6300, this is rated at 650+rwhp at it's lowest boost. Do the math, 1+G handling, exotic rarity & looks, 12.17 plus another 160rwhp or so should be 11.0 or better on street tires. And for me, the Viper is super comfortable, I'm 6'4" and 200lbs, the adjustable pedals and heavily bolstered seats are great for me.

Of course we all know the performance potential of that GT500 engine.

BTW, it seems the back seat leg room on the new stang is really really limited, my 12 yr old son who sits in the back of my Terminator just fine, couldn't stand being the 05 Stang backseat = just something to take a look at, it surprised me how tight it was.

Anyway, these are all great cars, tough choices, but no wrong one. Obviously this time I went Viper again, but I'll always have a stang in the garage - just not a GT500 ... at least not this year .. a used 08 might sound good someday ;-)

Dave.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
chuckstang said:

now that is funny!!!!???!!??!!!!:D :lol:

do you ever read your posts chuck?:idea: your post are always filled with babble and incoherent statements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread