GT500KR intake and tune

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
It looks like the 2008.5 King of the Road with 540 hp and 520 torque gets that extra power from a revised intake and tune. I may be wrong, but I think that's the only significant difference between that motor and our GT500's. If that's the case does anyone have any info on availability and pricing of the kits? My mods are mostly mini-mods (axle-back, lowering springs) but I'd like to add this one at some point in time. Yes, I know the JLT and other tunes will net more, but I prefer to keep it all Ford or Shelby with my upgrades.

chuckstang

Established Member
It is the power pack you are looking for, I will grab you the part numbers in a few.

It has been available for a few months.

Looks nice and I do like the fact that it fits better than the JLT and it is nice keeping it all Ford/Shelby but I already made my purchase.

Good luck! I think the price is around $800

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Just because Ford claims 540hp, does not necessarily mean that the kit will only give an increase of 40hp. I'd be interested to see what it actually puts down on a dyno.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
+1 :thumbsup:

Something tells me that those KRs will be making more than 540 hp. :coolman:

eci

Banned
ShelbyGuy said:
or because the ford kit can be rolled into the financing and doesn't void the warranty.

for whatever thats worth.

It takes less than 10 minutes to install the stock airbox and reflash so you aren't "voiding your warranty" with a JLT.

jcthorne

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
or because the ford kit can be rolled into the financing and doesn't void the warranty.

for whatever thats worth.

You need to read the Ford Racing warranty on that part. There are holes big enough to drive a Kenworth through on Ford's behalf. That warranty, like most performace part warranties is not really worth the paper its written on other than for the part itself. Going with the best parts will save you far more aggrivation and $$ over the long haul than the worthless paper.:bash:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
eci said:
It takes less than 10 minutes to install the stock airbox and reflash so you aren't "voiding your warranty" with a JLT.

from what i have heard, its fairly easy for ford techs to know when a tune has been added to the car/truck. regardless of the actual tune thats in the car when you take it to be looked at.

eci

Banned
ON D BIT said:
from what i have heard, its fairly easy for ford techs to know when a tune has been added to the car/truck. regardless of the actual tune thats in the car when you take it to be looked at.

This is a myth. The very most they can see is that battery power was lost.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
eci said:
This is a myth. The very most they can see is that battery power was lost.

what i heard is that ford uses some sort of jelly at the outlet. once a tune is loaded into the competer, this jelly will be disturbed leading anyone looking at the car to know that it has been tampered with.

is this not true?

i have also read that the computer will read record and save any changes that may occur during its lifetime. very much like the black box on airplanes. and i have heard that onstar is even worse for info like this!

JoePac

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
what i heard is that ford uses some sort of jelly at the outlet. once a tune is loaded into the competer, this jelly will be disturbed leading anyone looking at the car to know that it has been tampered with.

is this not true?

i have also read that the computer will read record and save any changes that may occur during its lifetime. very much like the black box on airplanes. and i have heard that onstar is even worse for info like this!
This is true, used to work at Sanderson ford, in AZ!! We did this on any ford gt that came in with probs!!! no matter what!!! Don't know if they will do the same, but I assume they will!!!

SVThopeful

SVT Poster
Established Member
Brands5.0 said:
Why would you want to spend the same amount of money for less HP
FORD KIT (40 HP +/-) vs. JLT / EVO KIT ( 80 RWHP +/-)

You can't beat factory engineering and fit.

When they designed the Ford Racing kit, they took into account engine longevity while other aftermarket companies might have just designed kits for the highest performance.

I’m not saying JLT (I have heard great things about their products :beer: ) or every other aftermarket companies are like that, but a few are.

ingram4868

Established Member
The FRPP CAI kit is conservative at 40HP but it is also CARB certified and 50 State legal.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
JoePac said:
This is true, used to work at Sanderson ford, in AZ!! We did this on any ford gt that came in with probs!!! no matter what!!! Don't know if they will do the same, but I assume they will!!!

Whaaaaaat you talkin' 'bout Willis? Are you saying that you checked for Smuckers in the OBD port or that you somehow found a magical long-term memory that showed each time a car was flashed and put back to stock?

Just curious because my dealership has had mine connected to the OBD port twice before I ever added a tune. They'd been the one that disturbed my jelly. (God I love it when that happens). Do you think they slapped another spoonful of it up there when they were done? (Not that it matters; my dealership knows my car is tuned and I tell them each time that I take it in for anything that I don't want them doing diagnostics on the car unless they call me first and I'll walk them through taking it back to stock.)

As for the Silver Oak processor and full ECM having "black box" capabilities, they're looking at adding those sorts of long-term memory and logging structures in 2009-2010 according to Ford. I may have been lied to (but I don't think so) when they told me that even the newest ECM cannot/won't log such events.

But....since I may have been lied to....and your personal experience was that you've actually seen this happen.....would you please share with us the specifics of what you found? I'm very curious as to what the ECMs capabilities really are if Ford was blowing smoke.

Thanks for clarifying.

bj

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
SVThopeful said:
You can't beat factory engineering and fit.

When they designed the Ford Racing kit, they took into account engine longevity while other aftermarket companies might have just designed kits for the highest performance.

I’m not saying JLT (I have heard great things about their products :beer: ) or every other aftermarket companies are like that, but a few are.
bullshit they did. Ford has a filter that replaces the air box made out of sheet metal, its a heap, the JLT is 10x better than that thing. and I agree, the tune is very conservative, and that may be for longevity, if I want suspension, I'll call maximum motorsports or H&R, if I want horsepower, I'll call KB, stainless works, evo perf, etc. I also do not get a good feel with evo perf, they are quiet about things, kind of scares me as to whats going on behind the scenes, why haven't we heard about the blown motors? theorectically it HAS to have happened...

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
FLYVNE04 said:
Whaaaaaat you talkin' 'bout Willis? Are you saying that you checked for Smuckers in the OBD port or that you somehow found a magical long-term memory that showed each time a car was flashed and put back to stock?

Just curious because my dealership has had mine connected to the OBD port twice before I ever added a tune. They'd been the one that disturbed my jelly. (God I love it when that happens). Do you think they slapped another spoonful of it up there when they were done? (Not that it matters; my dealership knows my car is tuned and I tell them each time that I take it in for anything that I don't want them doing diagnostics on the car unless they call me first and I'll walk them through taking it back to stock.)

As for the Silver Oak processor and full ECM having "black box" capabilities, they're looking at adding those sorts of long-term memory and logging structures in 2009-2010 according to Ford. I may have been lied to (but I don't think so) when they told me that even the newest ECM cannot/won't log such events.

But....since I may have been lied to....and your personal experience was that you've actually seen this happen.....would you please share with us the specifics of what you found? I'm very curious as to what the ECMs capabilities really are if Ford was blowing smoke.

Thanks for clarifying.

bj

Hello, Mr flyvneo4

I am Mr Focker I am the gm of ford, I see you have brought your gt500 in for some warranty repairs (yes) but we have a problem (what) are ...warranty dog mr lick would not lick your ob2 port, that tells us that you have removed the strawberry smuckers when you downloaded your tune from Diablo sports !, you have tryed to decieve us by putting grape smuckers back in it's place !!!!!!

SO YOU WARRANTY WORK IS DENIED !

Mr Focker

Users who are viewing this thread