GTECH Pro Competition

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Does anybody have the new GTECH Pro Competition and any comments about its performance. I am thinking about buying one, but am unsure it is worth it. I use to have a old one and it was so-so is this any better?

sir-blah

Established Member
I got one. It is actually pretty accurate. I ran it against the track clock. Track clock was 12.9@112 and the GTech was 12.880@112 (I think, I know the MPH was the same, but the times are right.) You just need to make sure that you calibrate everything like the car weight + your weight, the revs are a little tricky if its the first time you've done it.

f4sfed

Established Member
While I have yet to compare mine to the strip, it seems incredibly accurate. I really like it!

AND it can save up to four different vehicles. So I can make and save a run on it, then give it to my 'vette buddy, for him to beat. ;-)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Any place have any deals on these?
I've been looking at them for a while now too.
Thanks,
Dana

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by sir-blah
.... I know the MPH was the same
The trap speed SHOULD always be higher with the Gtech, It shows your speed at the end of 1320', where the track AVERAGES your speed over the last 60' while your still accelerating. The ETs should be close, but your trap should be higher with the Gtech.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
I "heard" the Tazzo is easier to use than the G-tech, because it has dual axis accelerometers and doesn't need to be leveled.

Not sure if G-tech came out with the G-Tech pro to compete with the Tazzo, does it have dual axis accelerometers?

JT

Last edited:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I think the new one has it, its the old one thats a PITA becaus eyou have to make sure its level.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I "heard" the Tazzo is easier to use than the G-tech, because it has dual axis accelerometers and doesn't need to be leveled.

Not sure if G-tech came out with the G-Tech pro to compete with the Tazzo, does it have dual axis accelerometers?

JT

I think the Pro model has a three axis accelerometer........Guess that's like having a 2.80 pulley over a 3.20, right? :idea:

Last edited:

ZXnVS

Established Member
If you do a search there are a couple of detailed threads with lots of information.

I bought the Competition Pro as a training aid. It does a lot more than just estimate your 1/4 mile times and speeds. It will read lateral g's, give you a tree to practice your launches (pro or amateur timing), estimate roll-out, etc., etc. Anyone serious about autocross or dragstrip performance will easily get their money's worth out of this unit, even if it doesn't time your 1/4 mile runs with 1/100th of a second accuracy...

The trap speed SHOULD always be higher with the Gtech, It shows your speed at the end of 1320', where the track AVERAGES your speed over the last 60' while your still accelerating

It wouldn't surprise me if they have accounted for that in the new model. They covered a lot of details that impressed me... I don't know for a fact whether it reads terminal speed or 60' average, I'm just saying it might...

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
As ZXnVS posted, its great for practice and its accuracy is close enough that it certainly helps you know if your 60ft times are improving.

I have one that I realised I havent been using for a couple of months now, mostly because my focus has changed from drag strip to road racing.

If anyone is interested in buying it, let me know and we could work out something much less than the current advertised price.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Check out this comparison.
http://www.tazzo.com/tazzo/perf.HTM

Looks like I need both, lol

I would like the RT feature of the Gtech pro. I wonder if it will simulate a "pro tree" start?

The average HP feature of the Tazzo looks usefull, as well as the stand alone 60 ft test.

JT

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Does anybody have the new GTECH Pro Competition and any comments about its performance. I am thinking about buying one, but am unsure it is worth it. I use to have a old one and it was so-so is this any better?

Brian-

A guy at work has one for his S4. He loves it and I can borrow it for a weekend (or two) if you wanna try it out.

-John

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
I think the Pro model has a three axis accelerometer........Guess that's like having a 2.80 pulley over a 3.20, right? :idea:

No actually, to be able to have it in any position and still make an accurate measurement, you must have a three axis. 2 won't cut it, hence one direction tip, tilt, roll will cause it to be off.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I really like mine, I've had it since it was beta, and have posted some pretty detailed info on it. My LCD backlight just went out though, and I am having a hard time getting support to answer my e-mails. So far, though, that's my only complaint.

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
I've had one for three weeks now and use it as a training aid. It can really help you improve launch and shift techniques.

The lateral "g" lights should be useful for roadcourse training this summer.

In summary - it's been a great tool for me.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread