Guess I'm just lucky with my new 03?

jeffsavage

Established Member
I have been reading posts like a madman here before and since picking the car up a couple weeks ago. Lot's of stuff about various problems. I am happy to say I guess I am lucky... car seems to be fine to me so far. There is a slight ticking from the engine but can't even hear it when the hood is down or inside the car. The stereo freaked out once and had to pull the breaker to reset it, so it remembered there was cd's loaded in it. But nothing major, no squeaks, vibration, stalling, etc.
I guess I am very grateful that this engine is totally overbuilt, not like the Lightning I just had, too many people launching plugs as there are only 4 threads holding the plugs into the heads! I hope things keep going smooth. I love this car so far!

SVT4ME

Established Member
Your not alone. 10 months of heaven. Not one problem to speak off.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Yeah, the complaints are deceiving. People write about problems they they have. . . . most don't get on and write "all's well" reports.

Except you! Congrats! I've had the vibe, but all's well!

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Mine is great. Some people will never be happy with what ever car they buy.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I've had alot of vibe problems with mine. Thought I was ok since it was built in Dec but It is still great car. Hey where can you get 400+ supercharged HP with a warranty! WHAT A COUNTRY

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The vast majority of all cars are trouble free. These internet forums make any car/truck look like crap. No matter what the vehicle, go read their forums and it will practically scare you off from that vehicle.

I saw lots of people on F150online bitch about certain problems with the F150s, saying " I should have bought a Tundra", then they get pointed to a Tundra board where everyone is bitching about the weak 4WD system, piston slap problems, brake problems, on and on.

Their little crack in the door's sheetmetal doesn't seem so bad compared to a 4WD system that quits working when it's most needed.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I love this car too.....I only had two issues when new....clutch and hydro booster...after that it was smooth sailin'

florida03

Banned
The only trouble I have is trying
to keep it from getting sideways.
Car has only 1700 on the clock and
not 1 issue so far. God I love this car!
Good to see some + posts.

Last edited:

Jake

Established Member
Have had the car for 7 months and have 6300 km ( I'm Canadian ) The only problem so far is my drivers side window has a small scratch on it, there must me something lodged in the door. Other then that I have had no problems.
I gotta say I love this car!!

Jake

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Love my car. Only problem so far is the passenger seat rubbing on the door. Very annoying. Easy to put up with until the car sees the dealer down the road. 390 hp. 390 torque and easy to drive. I'm in heaven. Smooth, stable, agile, quick, fast. The best car I have ever owned!

And getting even quicker at 1400 miles.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
lucky guys! and some say all of them have problems. none of you guys have the driveline clank?

Not so much of a clank as a slight sound and feeling that the drivetrain is engaging. Definitely not enough to do anything about. Gets smoother as it warms up.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
jeffsavage,
You said you could hear a light tick in the engine only when the hood is up, I would say that's just the injectors, so no problem there :D

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I've had my Cobra since August 2002, and my biggest problem is getting enough time off work (and non-snow days) to enjoy it. It gets smoother and faster every day. Other than some missing screws on the driver's seat adjuster and imbalanced tires (both corrected by the dealer) the car is basically trouble-free.

CWCobra

Established Member
11,000 miles here...absolutely perfect. Has not been back to the dealership since I drove it off the lot when I bought it. Best car I have ever had, and I've had a few over the last 35 years of driving. I will even go so far as to say it's the best car (for my tastes) I have ever been in period, driving or riding. Bar none. And that includes my Conti, and '02L.
Later,
CW

Brad

Banned
I'm super happy, but I'm getting the IRS pop now, which is a pain seeing I did the fix for it and its still doing it.:fm:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I bought mine in February and I havn't had any of the issues. This board can be deceiving sometimes. If there are 30 people that post that they have one problem, you have to remember that there may also be 11970 people that don't. People come here because they want some info on how to fix their problems so a lot of times you end up saturated with problem threads. These cars aren't perfect, but first run cars seldom are. SVT has done a great job IMHO of giving us what we wanted.

Killer Cobra, I'm not sure if you are talking about the regular clunk that you hear from this transmission. See if you can ride in a 2001 Cobra or another 03 Cobra and see if it sounds different. Also make sure that you drive it, not someone who is used to driving it. If you drive an import, then drive an American Muscle car with a 6 speed transmission, it will be very different. I'm not trying to say that your car doesn't have something wrong with it, but since you are coming from a 350Z, you may just need to get used to driving your car differently. I hear the same thing in my car as I do when I drive a Z06. IF there is something wrong with your car then I hope you can find a good dealer in your area to take care of it. Be careful with dealers though, there seems to be a lot of joyriding going on with these cars. Everyone wants to see what all the fuss is about. I suggest you write the miles you have on your car when you drop it off.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Originally posted by NeedaCobra
jeffsavage,
You said you could hear a light tick in the engine only when the hood is up, I would say that's just the injectors, so no problem there :D

Cool! Yes, sound is pretty quiet, not like loud ticking some people are complaining about. Wonder if other people talking about noise are hearing the same thing I am which is normal.
From reading all these posts, I feel much better. Was starting to get worried, thinking my new baby was a time bomb waiting to go off. I agree, from my experience every vehicle board makes that car look like a big turd. This Cobra feels very well built to me. I did look closely around and had to pick off peices of black tape inside the engine bay and trunk... had to do the same thing with the Lightning as well. Hmm, they could have did a better job of removing this excess. Also, I guess mine is not perfect, the passenger seat does rub the door when someone is sitting in it... don't know if there's any fix for that though. Any driveline noise I feel or hear sounds normal to me so far. Overall very happy with the car so far. I would say the build quality is a B+ or A- IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread