Guitar players....

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
I'm bored so I thought I would ask the fellow guitar players a couple of questions. First of all...what kind of strings do you prefer to play? Please list gauges and tunings with post.

Im currently using DR Black Beauties. I've played lots of strings over the years and I have to say that DR's are my current favorite. The black beauties are ok..I bought them because they are a heavier set string used mostly for a low tuning (current tune, dropped B: B F# B E G# C#) and not to mention they are all completely black! It sounded like a novel idea. Overall they play really well when detuned to a dropped tuning. The feel is almost like a nylon string with a bright sound. When tuned into standard tuning there are some issues of them holding a tune....and the black finish does come off. Im happy with them and if you play in a dropped tuning you should definatly check them out.

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Looks like there aren't many of us around on the ol forums stampede3. That makes me sad.

What kinda music do you play man? Hlow long have you been tearin it up on the ol axe?

03Cobra_hopeful

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ?
Established Member
Here's what I use

I use Knucklehead Medium Electric Geetar Strings (HAHA)
Their "Super Mullet" strings..
.010,.013,.017,.026,.036 and .046

Standard tuning EADGBE.. sometimes, I tune down a half step.
For that "Metallica" like sound. :)

Oh yeah check out this thread I posted a couple days ago.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149291

Last edited:

trendkilllx

Established Member
I use DR 10 gauge strings. I usually play in C, mainly for writing my own stuff. To play covers I im usually 1/2 step down, C, or drop D. I was in a band for a while and was drop tuning to B, didn't really like it though.

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
trendkilllx said:
I use DR 10 gauge strings. I usually play in C, mainly for writhing my own stuff. To play covers I im usually 1/2 step down, C, or drop D. I was in a band for a while and was drop tuning to B, didn't really like it though.

Why didn't you like Dropped B? Good to see a fellow DR user....not to mention another guitar player on here. Things are looking pretty bleak in the guitar department here.

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
GHS Boomers, 12's tune down 1/2 step for that raw blues sound!!!
Any body in here an SRV fan?

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
2-slow-stang said:

Im a huge SRV fan. He is one of the reasons I started playing guitar. Too bad I can't play half as well as he could!

trendkilllx

Established Member
BlueOvalAvenger said:
Why didn't you like Dropped B? Good to see a fellow DR user....not to mention another guitar player on here. Things are looking pretty bleak in the guitar department here.

It really just doesn't feel right to me. The strings seem to loose, even with a thicker gauge string. I also have a tendency to press on the strings to hard causing me to sound out of tune.

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
trendkilllx said:
It really just doesn't feel right to me. The strings seem to loose, even with a thicker gauge string. I also have a tendency to press on the strings to hard causing me to sound out of tune.

Yeah, that is easily the biggest problem with playing in a dropped tuning. Especially when its as low as a C or B. It becomes very easy to play out of tune. All you can do is practice and get use to how loose the strings are.

Thanks for all the input guys!

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
Dean Markley Blue Steel. If you haven't played these strings yet I strongly suggest you do. I use 9 on some guitars and 10 on others. Drop D tuning for the most part. Anything lower than that sounds like mush.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
2-slow-stang said:
I with you bro.you can't get no tone on light gauge strings.I gotta have some resistance. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread