Gun law in texas

SVTLink

US ARMY SCOUT
Established Member
Hello, I'm just trying to get a little information about driving/carrying a handgun in the state of Texas. I'm from Texas, but currently stationed out of fort benning Georgia. I'm on vacation down in Texas and I just want to know what I can and cannot do with a handgun. Thanks

Jay

txyaloo

Established Member
Hello, I'm just trying to get a little information about driving/carrying a handgun in the state of Texas. I'm from Texas, but currently stationed out of fort benning Georgia. I'm on vacation down in Texas and I just want to know what I can and cannot do with a handgun. Thanks

Jay

No open carry of pistols. No concealed carry of pistols allowed unless you have a Texas CHL or a permit we have reciprocity with. Open/concealed carry of rifles and shotguns is legal.

You may carry pistols (loaded or unloaded) on or about your person while in a vehicle as long as you aren't breaking any law other than Class C traffic infractions, aren't in a gang, etc. If you are stopped with a loaded firearm in a vehicle, and you do not have a concealed handgun license, you do not have a duty to inform the officer a pistol is in the vehicle. If you have a concealed handgun permit from any other state (or TX) you must inform the officer of the presence of a pistol as soon as they approach the vehicle.

Open/concealed carry of rifles in a vehicle is completely legal.

If you have a concealed carry permit, there is no carry in most bars. They will be marked with a large 51% sign at the entry to the establishment. Regular no guns signs (gun busters) do not apply to concealed handgun permit holders. Signs that are marked "30.06" in large contrasting letters do apply to permit holders, and it is illegal to carry past them.

That sums up the major laws.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Wow. There must not be too many thefts in Texas. People walking around with shotguns has to be a pretty good deterrent.

txyaloo

Established Member
Wow. There must not be too many thefts in Texas. People walking around with shotguns has to be a pretty good deterrent.

:lol: You don't see it happen very often, but it is legal. It actually happened in Houston a few years ago during a big rally. Some "activist" had his bodyguards openly carrying rifles and shotguns.

When I was in high school it was common to see trucks parked in the school parking lot with loaded hunting rifles in a gun rack. Columbine changed all of that.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Lol I can't even imagine that.

I wonder if the incident of the marine shooting on the Texas campus back in the 60's had any effect on gun law.

txyaloo

Established Member
Lol I can't even imagine that.

I wonder if the incident of the marine shooting on the Texas campus back in the 60's had any effect on gun law.

It didn't. Most of our gun laws date back to reconstruction and the early 1900s

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Texas has fairly bad gun laws and the original intent was to make most things involving firearms illegal and then officers would only actually arrest brown people for breaking those laws. That was the general pattern of gun control in the US until the middle of the last century when they began enforcing the laws on everyone and upper and middle class types demanded exemptions be added to the law.

It's also a felony to take a firearm into a store licensed to sell alcohol for on or off premises consumption without a license as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread