Gut cats or modify offroad X?

stags

Established Member
Gents,

I have 2 ideas in mind that will get me an offroad exhaust while allowing me to pass TN emissions.

The law here is you have to have cats- at emissions they stick a mirror under the car and look for them every time and check OBD-2. They DO NOT use sniffers.

I want offroad sound but don't want to have to swap midpipes every 12 months. So I have come up w 2 ideas.

1. Buy a set of cats off a junkyard car and gut them. Cheaper than #2. My only worry is that having a big, empty chamber right behind the collector could cause major turbulence (See Bernoulli's Effect)

2. Buy a lethal offroad X and ask someone to fabricate a shroud that looks like a cat and have them weld it to the appropriate place on the offroad. Might cause heat problems on the section of pipe covered by the shroud. More $.

Any thoughts?

nosscort

Established Member
Personally I would do the shrouds on the off road x if I ever had to have cats for visual inspection only.

Vegas5OH

Established Member
Why dont you just put on a lethal off road X and just put the stocker back on when you need to do a smog test? Takes like 30mins tops to swap mid pipes. Steeda cat deletes are even simpler to swap then a mid pipe

stags

Established Member
Mainly I want to put these on, forget them, go on. Only a matter of time before you strip a bolt etc. and I don't want to chase leaks every time I do a swap

Users who are viewing this thread