Gutting cats?

genoapb

Established Member
I can see why people make new posts on old subjects. I always search the forums before I ask a question and alot of the time it gives me an error and then once I do get results it takes forever to go through them to try and find what im looking for. Its way faster to just ask you guys the question. Anyway, im trying to find out what size the stock H pipe is and how you guys go about gutting the cats? I would just buy an aftermarket H pipe but im planning on doing long tubes and dont want to waste money on an H pipe that fits stock or shorty headers and then have to buy another one to fit the long tubes when I get them. Thanks for all the help fellas.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
The stock H-pipe on 96-98's is 2.5 inch. I just got an o/r H pipe to throw on this week. As far as gutting the cats, I am welding some of those in too. I bought some already gutted, but it looks like it's just drilled straght through the size of the holes. Hope this helps

CJK440

Established Member
Just use a hammer and a long metal rod and break it up and pour out the crumbs. If the pipe is not straight then cut a panel out of the side of the body, remove the brick and weld it back up.

I am pulling my tranny for a refresh and will be gutting just my upper cats. Not sure if it will make much of a difference but it will make me feel better.

stangman4610

Established Member
I went to my local exhaust shop, had the guy cut out the section of pipe containing the SIX (rediculous and super restrictive) cats and weld in normal exhuast pipe that he mandral bent to fit. Cost me under $100, didn't have to buy any parts, and I didn't HAVE to go with any particular setup for any future exhaust mods. I too was in a similar perdicament, and this was a quick effective fix to give me results without breaking the bank while I made up my mind.

CJK440

Established Member
stangman4610 said:
had the guy cut out the section of pipe containing the SIX (rediculous and super restrictive) cats and weld in normal exhuast pipe that he mandral bent to fit.

My 97 Cobra has 4. My cousins 98 GT had six.

genoapb

Established Member
Once I gut the cats will I need those MIL eliminators? "MIL" what does that stand for anyway? On another note, how did you guys convince your local muffler shops to mod those pipes for you? Everytime ive ever even hinted about work that involved eliminating cats they practically threw me out, lol.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
yes you will need mil elims.we dont have emissions testing here in michigan-
i think the last year for it was 1989- edit maybe 1992- the car is almost 10 years old so the muffler guys shouldnt have any prob with some quick n easy bending and welding.- easy money- for him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread