Guys... Straight Razor Users

ModularFan

Established Member
When my cousin does it, she usually just does the back of my neck! I should ask her to do my face, cause i can never seem to get it perfect.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Anyone looking to start with Straights or Safety razors, check out the forums at Badgerandblade.com. They have a newbie section all about what to do and how to get started.
I started with antique safety razor several years ago and it's a lot better for my face and with a little practice, gives a much better shave than the modern 4 or 5-bladed monsters.

Although new razors can be expensive, it doesn't have to be -- you can pick up a decent Gillette Superspeed at an antique store or on Ebay for about $10. I got this one at a local place:
1954SS_sm.jpg

That's a 1954 vintage -- I have several more of various styles from between about 1917 and 1962.
One day, I'm going to try my hand at using a straight razor.
Shaving soaps and creams can be found for $5 and up and will last several months. A good quality Badger brush can be as little as $30.

Blades are ridiculously cheap -- I pay less for 2 years of blades than what it costs to buy a few of months of modern razor cartridges. And the razor blades today are MUCH better than the ones you father or grandfather used.

Yes, it takes a little more technique than just dragging the blade across your face, but it's a lost art and adds a bit of ritual to your morning. It's something I look forward to now -- unlike my shaves using a Mach3 and a can of shave foam. It's kind of mind-blowing to be able to shave with a razor that my great-grandfather might have used.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Anybody recommend what are some good badger brushes and shaving soaps?

For retail stores, Crabtree and Evelyn stores sell a small selection of quality men's shaving products. Their "Best Badger Brush" is a good one for the money. It's basically a re-named Edwin Jagger brush.

This is a good online store that has most of what you need: Men's Wet Shaving, Grooming, Skin and Hair Care - West Coast Shaving
They also sell "sample packs' of different makes of blades so you can find one that you like. (Yes, surprisingly there are differences in feel, sharpness and smoothness in something as basic as a razor blade.)

My usual "go to" stuff:
Gillette SuperSpeed safety razor
"Red" Personna blade or Japanese Feather blade
Crabtree&Evelyn best badger brush
Ogallala Bay Rum shave soap (ogallalabayrum.com)
various aftershaves, depending on mood.

like I said above -- check out the forums on badgerandblade.com for lots of info on how to start "wet" shaving, what you'll need, where to get it, tips and techniques, etc.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
**** that shit. No way a straight razor is going near my face, I cut myself enough with a regular razor as it is.

I'm thinking about going to try this laser hair removal on my face, because if I never had to wake up and shave my face with either an electric or shaving razor again, I'd be happy as a coyote in a chicken house. and before anyone makes the snide comments I'm getting a sex change, or I'm a tranny, that's not why I'm doing it, just tired of the daily maintenance, the allergic reactions to different shaving creams, the red throat and face because it's irritated from shaving, I'd just rather do without all that nonsense.

don't be a vagina you can only catch HIV once....duh :kaboom:

well, as long as you're not Magic Johnson anyways.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Just wanted to update the thread. I just shaved with a DE safety razor today along with my badger brush and organic shaving soap i got from a guy in Brooklyn. Good shave, and by far the closest shave I've ever had.

374164_3117132532508_1390320150_42052712_802446529_n.jpg

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Safety razors are fine for most.

I use a straight for 90% of the heavy cutting, then finish off small areas with a Gillette Mach3.

Done correctly, the straight will not hurt you. If you're not awake, or even remotely careless you'll obviously lose some skin.

It lasts indefinitely and is well worth the initial $$.

Get a badger hair brush, doesn't have to be pricey, but a Silver Tipped Rooney is nice. Any badger hair will do fine.

These guys are great and offer razors "ready to shave"

Straight Razor : Double Edge Razor : Shaving Products Supplies : Merkur Safety Razor : Badger Shaving Brush : Men's Grooming Products : VintageBladesllc.com

Their soaps/shave cream are also really good. I've been using the cream only, and it's great.

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Off topic a bit but for people still using Mach3's, Fusions ect

Try Wilkinson Sword

images

I have tried just about them all and I love these the best plus they are cheap. (5 buck generally for refills) Best shave for cartridges I have had

Users who are viewing this thread